PDA

View Full Version : camshafts? replacing them

ian white
10-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I see you can now buy new comp -cam 4V camshafts, instead of regrinding your old ones. Does anyone know what kind of HP gains this will give you on a 97 vert and a ball park cost? Bottom line is this worth the money?

tcrews
10-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't even think about swapping cams unless you are rebuilding the engine. It's a major undertaking for some gains though the gains are greater with headwork in addition to cams.

Four cams...all needing to be degreed/timed properly, almost impossible to do without also removing the engine from the car and expensive to do (labor, time, parts).

I have cams on my '97 Cobra.....but I did it while the engine was out getting rebuilt with forged internals and head porting/polishing.

ian white
10-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks Tom for your input, just looking for more HP without major rebuilding or suppercharging expenses. I guess after headers,x pipe,pullies, cat backs ,gears and air induction,there isn't much left without spending big bucks

travlagnt2
10-30-2004, 07:50 PM
I have wondered the same thing and came up with the same answer. Unless you are doing major bottom end work which requires pulling the engine the cost may not be affective. I have spun a bearing or cracked a rod on my hyperpathetic internals and am having a 5.1 stroker put in. So might as well port and polish and re-cam while its out. BTW any of you Carolina folks know of any good modular mechanics out there. I live in Charleston and we have no one.

THanks
Davidhttp://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

tcrews
10-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I shipped my block (minus intake and wiring harness) to Houston Performance and had them do mine. Forged componets, ported heads and blower cams.

I have wondered the same thing and came up with the same answer. Unless you are doing major bottom end work which requires pulling the engine the cost may not be affective. I have spun a bearing or cracked a rod on my hyperpathetic internals and am having a 5.1 stroker put in. So might as well port and polish and re-cam while its out. BTW any of you Carolina folks know of any good modular mechanics out there. I live in Charleston and we have no one.

THanks
Davidhttp://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

smashedheadcat
10-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Ya know......... I got quoted $1500 from True Blue Performance for parts/labor on a cam install. All you have to do is pull your engine out...... Haul it up there. Let them do the work with the engine out........ then pick it up, throw it back in the car........ They said to keep costs down, they'd try to re-use gaskets where they could etc. etc. But, the only logical way to do this........ is in conjunction with an engine rebuild, and some head porting.

travlagnt2
10-31-2004, 12:45 PM
So it seems all engine/work is being shipped out of SC/NC to be worked on. Isnt that great!:doubt: Thought about Mark Ray in Charlotte but have talked to them and they have to rent dyno time elsewhere in Charlotte. AHHHHHHHHHHH!
Ok folks, thanks for being here. Can already tell this is going to be a great place for ideas and such. And btw......cant you just remove the imrc's completely? Thought I heard that somewhere before.

tcrews
10-31-2004, 02:30 PM
yes you can with IMRC delete plates (no longer available) or modifying your stock IMRC plates. It's a bad thing to do though...they are there for a reason and they work extremely well for what they do. Even on a supercharged car it's a bad idea unless you are making a race only setup. Street driving.....they work too well to eliminate. Well...unless you don't mind some idle issues, loss of torque and are just after that extrmely small HP gain in the high rpms they give you (very little).

Preferrably it's best to have the opening rpm adjusted to where they will help the most and hurt the least. Most NA cars could open them a little later in the rpm band while usually boosted cars a tad sooner. Mine (because of the head porting) would best be opened around 4000 rpm...which I'll probably change when I get re-tuned.

smashedheadcat
10-31-2004, 03:21 PM
So it seems all engine/work is being shipped out of SC/NC to be worked on.

True Blue Performance is here in North Carolina.

travlagnt2
10-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Smashhead,
can you send number and contact pls. I dont mind travelling to douglasville, ga but something closer would be great. Need a whole bottom end rebuild or swap and head re-train and cams, port and polishing.
THanks
David:thumbsup:

Big Daddy
10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Smashhead,
can you send number and contact pls. I dont mind travelling to douglasville, ga but something closer would be great. Need a whole bottom end rebuild or swap and head re-train and cams, port and polishing.
THanks
David:thumbsup:

Dan Wagner is whom you want to talk to at True Blue 1-866-TRUEBLU is there number. My bottom end was built by them and I have close to 20,000 miles on it running a minimum of 12 Lbs of boost the whole time. Does not burn oil and no tick from the heads....OF COURSE I REPLACED THOSE! :D ;) Tell Dan that you know Big Daddy and Josh, if you are a member of the club you get a nice discount on their labor charge. :thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
10-31-2004, 11:11 PM
yes you can with IMRC delete plates (no longer available) or modifying your stock IMRC plates. It's a bad thing to do though...they are there for a reason and they work extremely well for what they do. Even on a supercharged car it's a bad idea unless you are making a race only setup. Street driving.....they work too well to eliminate. Well...unless you don't mind some idle issues, loss of torque and are just after that extrmely small HP gain in the high rpms they give you (very little).

Preferrably it's best to have the opening rpm adjusted to where they will help the most and hurt the least. Most NA cars could open them a little later in the rpm band while usually boosted cars a tad sooner. Mine (because of the head porting) would best be opened around 4000 rpm...which I'll probably change when I get re-tuned.

Blah blah blah....don't listen to Tom....Just kidding, he knows his stuff :D . Your brother came to our house this weekend for a Halloween party. I told him you were probably heading to Jackson this weekend for drag day....he quoted "You probably see him more than I do" :rotf:

You might outta come up this way more often. :)

Craig

travlagnt2
11-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Ok thanks........will call them today......just need to get this snake back to its original shape and WITHOUT those weak internals........and then these chevy boys here can suck up some real snake venom........
thanks again

smashedheadcat
11-01-2004, 08:43 AM
When you call, a young lady will probably answer. Just ask for Dan Wagner. Tell him you are a member of the SCMC, and Josh Robinson and Big Daddy recommended their services. Dan is the man you're going to want to talk to about pricing and everything. If Dan is not there, ask for Mark. Mark is the engine builder for True Blue Performance. He won't be able to tell you much about prices, but he's very smart, and will give you recommendations on what to do with your engine, what you need to address, and what he can do for you and your engine. He won't be able to answer pricing information like Dan can, but he's great to talk to if you have questions concerning your build. He's a very busy man, but he'll take the time to talk with you about your concerns with the engine build etc. They are great people, and build some reliable, big power engines.

travlagnt2
11-01-2004, 09:14 PM
When you call, a young lady will probably answer. Just ask for Dan Wagner. Tell him you are a member of the SCMC, and Josh Robinson and Big Daddy recommended their services. Dan is the man you're going to want to talk to about pricing and everything. If Dan is not there, ask for Mark. Mark is the engine builder for True Blue Performance. He won't be able to tell you much about prices, but he's very smart, and will give you recommendations on what to do with your engine, what you need to address, and what he can do for you and your engine. He won't be able to answer pricing information like Dan can, but he's great to talk to if you have questions concerning your build. He's a very busy man, but he'll take the time to talk with you about your concerns with the engine build etc. They are great people, and build some reliable, big power engines.
Ok Dan was not there and I spoke with a guy named Scott. He seemed to know who I was talking about when I dropped yours and Josh's name. He is going to send me a quote all out long block. Hope I get that discount. When I recieve the quote maybe I will forward it to you and you can look it over and see if I am getting raked or not. Would appreciate all you can do.
David

Big Daddy
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Ok Dan was not there and I spoke with a guy named Scott. He seemed to know who I was talking about when I dropped yours and Josh's name. He is going to send me a quote all out long block. Hope I get that discount. When I recieve the quote maybe I will forward it to you and you can look it over and see if I am getting raked or not. Would appreciate all you can do.
David

Well if you want the discount spend $15 to become a club member on the main page of the web site. In the SCMC store you can join online. Make sure Scott/Dan et al know you are a SCMC member and they will hook you up. I would be glad to look over the quote from them as I'm running one of their engines! :D GOOD LUCK and I know that they will do a good job for you. :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
11-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I can look it over for you as well if you want. I run one of their engines as well.

Josh