PDA

View Full Version : 04 transmission problems, already

ausie
10-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Everything was fine until I parked on a hillside. I normally engage the parking brake before putting the car in gear. The car did not move after I turned off the motor. There is no evidence if the car was bumped either. Problem was after starting it up, I could not shift into any gears. Reverse was close to impossible to engage. Shifter was extremely difficult to engage into 1st and 2nd would not engage. Everything works great when down-shifting, but up-shifting, 2nd and 3rd is a no-go. I was thinking if it is just me since I am used to the 01 Cobra, but I don't think that is the case. Could this be caused by lack of transmission fluid? Ocassionally I would get an odor of burning clutch. I have a feeling that the clutch adjustment may be out of whack. I have tried to adjust the pedal to see if that cures anything. I only have 1200 miles on it now. If I cannot remedy the issue it is going back to the dealer!

Has anybody had any problems like this with their 6 speed transmission?

NewFoundPower
10-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Never had problems getting it in gear but have had the burning clutch odor for no reason. Well, let me take that back. I was driving home one night and it had just rained. I was leaving a stop light and decided to just play around a little bit. I hit the gas and the car got a little loose in the ass-end (traction control was off). When I went to shift into second it wouldn't work. I tried 3 consecutive times and it refused to go into second. I have no idea why and it hasn't done it since.

-D-

03 cobra toy
10-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Everything was fine until I parked on a hillside. I normally engage the parking brake before putting the car in gear. The car did not move after I turned off the motor. There is no evidence if the car was bumped either. Problem was after starting it up, I could not shift into any gears. Reverse was close to impossible to engage. Shifter was extremely difficult to engage into 1st and 2nd would not engage. Everything works great when down-shifting, but up-shifting, 2nd and 3rd is a no-go. I was thinking if it is just me since I am used to the 01 Cobra, but I don't think that is the case. Could this be caused by lack of transmission fluid? Ocassionally I would get an odor of burning clutch. I have a feeling that the clutch adjustment may be out of whack. I have tried to adjust the pedal to see if that cures anything. I only have 1200 miles on it now. If I cannot remedy the issue it is going back to the dealer!

Has anybody had any problems like this with their 6 speed transmission?

Sounds like the TO bearing or the clutch...I would take it back to the dealer....

ausie
10-24-2004, 10:06 AM
I have a feeling it is the clutch adjustment mechanism. At first I thought the odor was from a truck in front of me or that the SLP cat-back is burning off any coatings it may have on it. The thing about the odor is that it is not present all the time. It was not until I smelled it on a road with no other vehicles around. Is this common with an aluminum flywheel?
I do recall hearing the noise with the low gears when creaping, but when I have problems shifting the noise is not present. That almost makes me thing that there is no fluid in the transmission. It may afterall be as simple as a clutch cable adjuster. I have adjusted the cable by pulling up on the pedal which cured the issue but the symptom returns after driving for a while. Somehow I think that the cable is slipping in the adjuster. I will have to look into it further and inspect the adjuster as well as the connection to the clutch fork (or whatever it is called). Perhaps they terminated the cable in a loose granny knot. Never mind, since it is not a dodge that cannot be possible.

NewFoundPower
10-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Let us know what you find out but I think I am still putting the snake in the shop this week.

-D-

SVTcobra04
10-24-2004, 07:01 PM
ive got a 04 and when at a stop with the clutch in mine used to make a screeching noise.if i let out the clutch it would stop.i took it in and they said it would get better or get worse.its getting better.it hardly does it anymore.ive also heard the shifter linkage isnt very good so it may be meesed up.hope this helps.

Lthl Venom 03
10-25-2004, 06:56 AM
well i have quite a similar problem but i know you know about it already since you were the first one to reply to my post :doubt:

casey99COBRA
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
ausie im highly disappointed in you, you broke my car already! :mad:
well aus, i would not even mess with it. take it to the dealer get it fixed. Mine is going in on thrusday morning for a window fix. I can't roll down my passenger window from the driver side, but i can roll it up? You can roll it down from the passenger side as well as roll it up? I plugged in a diff swtich to see if it was bad, got same results and everything is hooked up correctly... I'm lost :doubt:

ausie
10-26-2004, 07:41 AM
:rotf: hey, you did not let me drive it yet. How could it be broken? It sounds like you have a wire harness problem in the driver door. It could be a bad or loose terminal. It may not be at the switch but inside the door where the wires come in. You would have to remove the door panel to find the harness connection. If it is under warrenty let them figure it out.

Updated on transmission issue. After adjusting the clutch tensioner several times , not just once or twice, but at least 30 times. (by two feet, I have yet to find the problem but I will look at it this weekend when there is more time to play with it), I have not had any problems with the transmission. I think most of it is familiarity or being mentally programmed to drive the 01. I did a little bit of power shifting (changing gears at close to redline) and had no problems with it (only when I don't think where the gears are). I did this cold and warm. I figured this, if it is going to fail it will do it before 3000 miles are on the clock. I did not adjust the clutch at all yesterday and I will leave it alone for the entire week to see if the problem returns. If it does, it goes back the the dealer regardless of how many miles I put on it (as long as it is under warrenty).
IF there was a RPM govener in the transmission as suggested in another post, then mine is governing at low RPMs as well as high RPM's. The issues I had occured when driving normal or at the posted speed limit of 25. Since this transmission is new to me, I need to develop new tricks so I can engage all the gears correctly. Even some old habits work like when sitting at a traffic light or stop sign in neutral, I had problems shifting into first with the 01, so I found that popping into 2nd then into 1st made it easier. I think by adjusting the clutch cable allowed for proper clearance between the clutch and pressure plate to allow for shifting. An aftermarket shifter would not hurt either. For now, I will be in shift training since I need to forget how to drive the 01 and learn the 04 characteristics.