PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid coming out?????

WVSNS&
10-23-2004, 04:33 PM
:eek: I have tranny fluid on the mount for the tranny and it has a little drip to it. I am concerned that at some point it will be empty. Any suggestions? Don't have factory warranty but have "Guardian" warranty that came with the car from the used car dealership I got it from Should I take it in for the warranty work and see if it applies? Does anyone know if there is a dealership that does work with "Guardian" in the tidewater area of Va.?

john

(wavesnsand@cox.net)

Lumpydogs
10-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Have you recently done any aftermarket shifter or pullie swaps?
Both can cause isolated leaks although usually one time only leaks.

WVSNS&
10-24-2004, 01:09 AM
No mods at all on the car yet, bone stock. The clutch seems to have what has been termed "chatter" by others at times. Always at low speed and in a turn less than ten mph. That is the only problem I can think of with the tranny. I cannot tell where the fluid is originating but it seems to be covered with a film of the fluid from the mount up and back to the rear. I am planning to put in a shifter and a few other things when the clutch needs to be replaced but for now runs fine. I am just worried about the loss of fluid. I was told to change the fluid in it but it appears to need some sort of pump and tube to get fluid up to the upper hole. Another special tool to buy. Any suggestions???

john watkins

SNAKEYE
10-25-2004, 01:00 PM
No mods at all on the car yet, bone stock. The clutch seems to have what has been termed "chatter" by others at times. Always at low speed and in a turn less than ten mph. That is the only problem I can think of with the tranny. I cannot tell where the fluid is originating but it seems to be covered with a film of the fluid from the mount up and back to the rear. I am planning to put in a shifter and a few other things when the clutch needs to be replaced but for now runs fine. I am just worried about the loss of fluid. I was told to change the fluid in it but it appears to need some sort of pump and tube to get fluid up to the upper hole. Another special tool to buy. Any suggestions???

john watkins
The "chatter" you are experiencing during a "low speed" "turn" may well be the limited slip differential doing its thing while the car is turning and creating a differential between rear wheel travel distance over the ground. I'd describe it more as a 'click' or 'clack'. Something has got to give, and it happens within the mechanism of the limited slip slip rearend. What you may need is to check the oil level in the rearend (plug located driver's side of rear input shaft), and add a bottle of friction reducer oil available from your friendly local Ford dealer for about $5 for the 4-ounce or so bottle.