PDA

View Full Version : H pipe X pipe

04BlackCobra
10-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey everyone, new to the list and have a question. I have an 04 Cobra and just put on the Magnaflow X pipe with cats and a Borla Stinger Cat back.

I'm not really happy with the sound. It is too, for lack or better wording, "Ricey or "Exotic". (No offense to anyone who has this or likes it, just my opinion)

I am looking for a deeper more throaty sound at idle and WOT. I am thinking it is the X pipe that is doing this but wanted to make sure before I go swapping it out.

Does anyone know if the H pipe sounds deeper and throaty than the X pipe and if so what would be an aftermarket one to get. I want one with Cat's on it though.

Thanks.

cobrabitn
10-28-2004, 12:27 AM
H pipe = big block Ford sound
X pipe = Ferrari sound

Welcome to the BB :thumbsup:

04BlackCobra
10-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks Cobrabitn, Any idea of a a good aftermarket H pipe with cats?

cobrabitn
10-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Well I cannot speak from experience here, maybe someone else can jump in? When I put the h pipe on it didn't have any kitties on them. :)

2KWhiteSnake
10-28-2004, 01:40 AM
MAC O/R H with Cats and I don't know if BBK makes one with cats. I know they don't make an O/R H specifically for the 99+ Cobras.

Craig

kilroy
10-28-2004, 02:08 AM
04BC, check out http://mustangracing.mrt-direct.com/hpipe.php . Catted/Catless versions available. ;)

04BlackCobra
10-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the info everyone

InfamousSVT
11-01-2004, 01:34 AM
H pipe = big block Ford sound
X pipe = Ferrari sound

Welcome to the BB :thumbsup:
Wish I would have known that before I purchased my X-pipe, I had it installed last week and don't like the sound!

I just purchased the MAC Prochamber, so I'll be swapping that out next week when it arrives, and I'm doing a little testing with the cats! Hope I'm happy with it! Should be;)

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Wish I would have known that before I purchased my X-pipe, I had it installed last week and don't like the sound!

I just purchased the MAC Prochamber, so I'll be swapping that out next week when it arrives, and I'm doing a little testing with the cats! Hope I'm happy with it! Should be;)

You'll be happy with the prochamber. :cool:

Craig

InfamousSVT
11-01-2004, 02:02 AM
I hope to have my Prochamber and the suspension done by Sep. 6th Dragday event!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Prochamber choice!!!!:thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
11-01-2004, 02:42 AM
You'll be happy with the prochamber. :cool:

Craig
Craig,

How does your's sound with the prochamber and flows?
I screwed up big when doing this, I couldn't make up my mind and jumped in to an exhaust too quick!
I've got an Magnaflow X-pipe and some Flowmaster Super 40's on it now!
I'm going to put some PowerCAT's on inplace of the second set of converters and then run the Prochamber and get rid of the X-pipe, I'm hoping for a louder more aggressive tone!

What do you think?

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Craig,

How does your's sound with the prochamber and flows?
I screwed up big when doing this, I couldn't make up my mind and jumped in to an exhaust too quick!
I've got an Magnaflow X-pipe and some Flowmaster Super 40's on it now!
I'm going to put some PowerCAT's on inplace of the second set of converters and then run the Prochamber and get rid of the X-pipe, I'm hoping for a louder more aggressive tone!

What do you think?

Hey!
I have the MAC O/R H on mine with the flowmaster american thunder cat-back. The pro-chamber will be similar to the H, but not as deep. It will be much more deep than the X-pipe though. When I got my car 4 years ago I debated getting the prochamber also, but ended up with the $110 O/R H. I've had the same one on since I first brought the car home from the dealership. I think the chambered mufflers and the pro-chamber sound nice. Not as deep as with the H pipe, but close. It'll be a nice mix. It should sound nice with the prochamber. Much more so than with the X.

Craig

InfamousSVT
11-01-2004, 02:51 AM
Thanks, as long as it gives it a deeper sound than what it has now I'll be happy!:thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 02:54 AM
Thanks, as long as it gives it a deeper sound than what it has now I'll be happy!:thumbsup:

You should be ready to rock and roll. They'll hear you from a mile away. :) If you're not happy with that, get the MAC O/R H. People will hear you from 2 miles then. :) Mine is obnoxious loud, but it doesn't sound "rednecky". I get compliments every day on how it sounds. It basically sounds like a big block V8. I seriously think you'll be happy with the pro-chamber and the flows. It should be much different from the X. NEVER put an X pipe with a chambered muffler. :)

Craig

InfamousSVT
11-01-2004, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll keep all in mind!

I'll let you know how it sounds, or if you're going to be at the Nov. 6th Dragday you can hear it!:bounce:

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll keep all in mind!

I'll let you know how it sounds, or if you're going to be at the Nov. 6th Dragday you can hear it!:bounce:

I'm going to be out of town this coming weekend so I won't be able to check it out. My wife and I are heading to the beach for the weekend since our baby is due and she'll be on lockdown after this month. I'm sure it's going to sound awesome. Did you watch that video of the member with the prochamber and flows? Let me find the video and try to post it. Give me a second to find it.

Craig

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 03:10 AM
http://www.piitb.com/Comparison.wmv

There ya go. It both the prochamber/flows and H/flows all in the same video. You can can hear the difference. I think the Pro/Flow combo is a great compromise. It's deep, yet it's got some scream at high RPM's. REMEMBER: He's got the borla tips with baffles. Yours should be louder.

Here is the thread......... http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7542&highlight=Video

Craig

InfamousSVT
11-01-2004, 03:16 AM
http://www.piitb.com/Comparison.wmv

There ya go. It both the prochamber/flows and H/flows all in the same video. You can can hear the difference. I think the Pro/Flow combo is a great compromise. It's deep, yet it's got some scream at high RPM's. REMEMBER: He's got the borla tips with baffles. Yours should be louder.

Here is the thread......... http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7542&highlight=Video

Craig
Sounds great, now I have an idea of what it'll sound like!
Thanks for the link!

I gotta hop off the forums now and do some actual work, 3rd shift has it's benefits though, I get to spend all day driving my Cobra!!!!!!!!
I'm sure I'll talk with you again!:thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Sounds great, now I have an idea of what it'll sound like!
Thanks for the link!

I gotta hop off the forums now and do some actual work, 3rd shift has it's benefits though, I get to spend all day driving my Cobra!!!!!!!!
I'm sure I'll talk with you again!:thumbsup:

Yepper, I'll be around. I'm off on Mondays (I work Tues-Saturday), so I'm just iding by the computer while the wife sleeps. Let us know how you like it. I'm sure you'll be much happier with the prochamber.

Craig

NewFoundPower
11-01-2004, 06:25 PM
2KWhiteSnake,

What is the difference in the MAC H-pipe with cats and the Prochamber with cats? I am looking into buying an H-pipe from them and was wanting some clarification.

-D-

2KWhiteSnake
11-01-2004, 07:17 PM
2KWhiteSnake,

What is the difference in the MAC H-pipe with cats and the Prochamber with cats? I am looking into buying an H-pipe from them and was wanting some clarification.

-D-

Hey hey,
The H-pipe is shaped like an "H" and the Prochamber has a small "chambered" box in the middle instead of just having a joined pipe. The Prochamber could maybe be classified as a H/X pipe mix. Pictures of both can be seen on MAC's website. You will get a deeper sound with the "H" pipe. Also, only put a chambered type muffler with an H-pipe. Don't use a straight through with it.

Let me know if you need anything else. :thumbsup:

Craig

NewFoundPower
11-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I am gonna go with the H pipe.

-D-

rjs04cobra
11-21-2004, 07:17 AM
i purchased the slp loud mouth and slp o/r x pipe without cats, so i could have it before i took delivery of my 04 black vert. the sound was horrible, it was too loud even at 1/4 throttle. i have been considering high flow cats for the x, but after this thread ,maybe i should consider h pipe? is there anything i can put on that will give it a deep throaty sound without changing the loud mouth? qnyone have the loud mouth and x or prochamber? any suggestions would be a great help

ron

kirks5oh
11-22-2004, 11:17 AM
i recently added the mac 2.5" cat back system with 3.5" stainless tips, and was considering going with the aluminized steel x-pipe system from bassani (with cats). from this forum, it sounds like i should get an h-pipe/prochamber, because i assume the mac system is a chambered after cat. the main thing is that i want to keep the cats, but i'm not sure i understand why you shouldn't mix an x-pipe with the mac after cat?

InfamousSVT
11-29-2004, 02:29 AM
i recently added the mac 2.5" cat back system with 3.5" stainless tips, and was considering going with the aluminized steel x-pipe system from bassani (with cats). from this forum, it sounds like i should get an h-pipe/prochamber, because i assume the mac system is a chambered after cat. the main thing is that i want to keep the cats, but i'm not sure i understand why you shouldn't mix an x-pipe with the mac after cat?
Kirks5oh

How do you like the sound of the MAC cat-back? I've considered going with that, but I've always been a flowmaster guy! What's it sound like?

cobra330
11-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Just a note..if you have Magnaflow Catback..order the Magnapacks p/n 14416..you will notice one heck of a difference..with or without an X pipe..trust me..I have heard this set up...and that was with the guy probably 1/2 mile away! That's what I am getting!