PDA

View Full Version : What exhaust should i get

josh's cobra
11-02-2004, 02:08 PM
hey guys, new here, still finding out how this all works. but i do have a question, what kind of exhaust should i use, iv been told with the compression ratio on the 2003 cobra's that flowmasters sound like crap. im looking for something with a deep rumble, nice throaty sound that sounds aggressive, makes people look ect. and gives some good hp gains. someone told me a bassani x-pipe with a borla stinger catback. please make some suggestions as to what sounds best. remember, its a 2003 cobra, so it will sound differant then a 2002 or earlier, thanks guys!

NewFoundPower
11-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I was just going through the same thing. I finally decided on the Bassani Cat-back with a MAC H-pipe with cats. I get it installed tomorrow so I will let you know.

-D-

josh's cobra
11-02-2004, 07:07 PM
awesome bro, please let me know!

nckissfan
11-02-2004, 08:24 PM
the Bassani's do sound bad-ass on the 03/04 Cobras

smashedheadcat
11-02-2004, 10:50 PM
For deep, powerful sound....... nothing in my opinion can touch the NO CAT prochamber and borla stinger catback. I played around with a magnaflow off road X-pipe, and it did make it a touch louder, but it was more high pitch. The prochamber compliments stingers better than anything I've ever heard. I'll post a video Saturday.

NewFoundPower
11-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Got the Bassani installed this week. It sounds awesome. Even with the factory H-pipe the car sounds really good. Day and night difference from the stock exhaust. Can't wait to see how it sounds when I put the new H-pipe on there.

-D-

josh's cobra
11-05-2004, 01:12 PM
excellent, sounds like thats what im getting then! thanks bro!

casey99COBRA
11-05-2004, 03:11 PM
the slp loudmouth sounds really awesome too (it is the meanest one inm y opinion)... My favorites: Borla, Bassani, SLP, Magnaflow/Magnapack. And any of those right there i would use a Bassani cross pipe, or the pro chamber. Pro chamber over your standard h pipe definately.

ausie
11-06-2004, 07:48 AM
I have the SLP Loudmouth cat-back. I had the same on my 01, but on the 04 it really is a monster sound. I think that the SLP is as close to running open headers as you can get. Just the other day while getting gas, I was approached by a person who just admired the sound. He stated that was the best sounding mustang he ever heard. Perhaps the stingers are similar in sound characteristics since they are resonators in similar design to the SLP.

On Thursday I had a motor-cycle cop stop what he was doing (writting a speeding ticket for a school zone speeder) just to watch me pass by. Driving at 20mph in a 35mph zone I got more attention than I expected. My guess is that his thoughts were "I should have waited for him to pull over".

:D SWEET SOUND, JUST MUSIC TO MY EARS and everybody elses too! Not as loud as a Harley with straight pips, but close enough.

casey99COBRA
11-06-2004, 02:54 PM
stop talking about your damn cat back aus... everytime you talk about it like that i feel like i have to pull out the credit card and buy it with money i don't have. lol

ausie
11-07-2004, 04:29 AM
:D I guess I will have to make a sound file then. :) just wondering what the stingers sound like. :doubt: Ahh, there is nothing like the whirling whine of the supercharger and full report from the rear end.:woot:

jimmysidecarr
11-07-2004, 05:35 AM
How much cabin drone/resonance are you willing to tolerate???
Stingers and Magnaflows both sound awsome....
But both are very LOUD!!!
I recommend catching a ride in both.... at highway speeds...

Also the skinny pedal on the right... when pressed on the carpet.... provides lots of stimulating action....

If the sound levels from this activity attract too much attention from "officer friendly"....

Then the "quality time".......... on the carpet...... will be greatly diminished....

I'm looking at...
Borla...#1458
Steeda...
And
FR500 cat backs...

2 reasons....
Cabin drone...
And over all exterior sound levels...

I don't want every cop within a 1.5 mile radius to know that, that was me that just ripped it from 15 to 80 MPH... 30seconds ago....
Been there............ done that!!!
Make it fast!!!
Keep it semi-quiet....
You will be able to get on it and enjoy it more often...
Just a thought from an old Hot Rodder...
Jimmy

casey99COBRA
11-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Do it man! get on it right now!

:D I guess I will have to make a sound file then. :) just wondering what the stingers sound like. :doubt: Ahh, there is nothing like the whirling whine of the supercharger and full report from the rear end.:woot:

ausie
11-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Just yesterday I passed another mustang (gt with lots of body plastic on it, the works) that exhaust sounded sweet whatever it was. Nice and deep and nasty. I might have to wait until spring to get a good recording of the exhaust since I am planning on getting a friend to help. My plans are to pass him on the highway instead of just hearing the car idle and applying throttle. It sounds way better when under load. As for the drone, I barely have any excessive ear piercing drone unless I open up the windows. I might be able to do some preliminary recordings this weekend. It all depends on the weather. I should have recorded the exhaust right after installation since it has toned down a bit but it still is loud enough to put a smile on my face when driving.

For those of you who are looking into getting a cat-back, do lots of research. Once you make a good selection you will be happy with it. Just remember one thing, when you have a supercharger you get more boost when there is a bit of back pressure present. Once you open up the exhaust with long tube headers and x-pipe you acually increase the exhaust scavenging which drops the effective boost pressure created by the supercharger. The same thing would happen if you change the stock cams with ones that have longer durations. Even though you will loose some torque you will gain some HP. The 03/04 motor produces 370 hp when naturally aspirated (MM&FF). If you plan on increasing the flow charactieristics of the exhaust with headers, you might as well change the pully to compensate for the loss in boost pressure. I know this is way off topic.

josh's cobra
11-09-2004, 12:10 PM
thanks guys~!

ausie
11-10-2004, 07:48 AM
It appears that some lucky person had bought my 01 since it dissappeared shortly after picking up the 04. More than likely it never made it to the used car lot or was sold to another dealership. I hope they like the SLP cat-back on it, that is if it stayed on the car. The plan was to put the old stock exhaust back on, but I had to jump on the last 04 before somebody else did.

There are many good sounding exhaust cat-backs out there. The next time I pass another mustang with a sweet sound to it, I will have to ask them what they have.