PDA

View Full Version : Car buying help...another pathetic newbee!

CobraMeister
11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/images/smilies/shiny.gif Hi folks. Well, as the title says, another newbee here. I have an opportunity to pick up a pretty nice 96 Cobra for $6000. Seems like a pretty good price. Car is in decent shape, needs a little cleaning up, has just under 90K miles. White w/black leather, chrome Cobra R wheels and fairly new tires. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer opinions on the price and also if there is anything in particular that I should be checking for or worried about on one of these fine cars. Last Mustang I owned was a 68 notchback with Boss 302 shortblock back in the early to mid 70s. I really loved that car and still miss it. Finally got permission from the wife to start looking for a Mustang hobby car. Thanks for any and all input. I know that newbees can be really annoying!!

cobrabitn
11-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Cobra Meister,

If you can do it, get a carfax on the car to find out what if any information on the car. Maybe someone on this board can help you?? 1996 models are known for overheating in hot weather states. I would say LA qualifies for that so check to see if the cooling upgrade has been completed on your Snake. If you are buying the car from the original owner, ask them where they bought the car and go to the dealership and see if they will print out a service report on the vehicle so you can learn a little more about your new purchase.

I always use www.kbb.com for pricing to see if the price is within range. I would recommend going there and getting the blue book value on the snake.

I used to own a 1969 Mach 1, if you are like me, you'll enjoy the Cobra a lot more then the older Mustangs.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

CobraMeister
11-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the response. I took your advice and got a Carfax report today. Looks like the car has a 'rebuilt' title and has been in 2 accidents since new. The rebuilt title seems to be enough to turn me away. I don't mind having a car with a rebuilt title but I know that it's gonna hurt me whenever I go to resell the car.
Thanks again for your input......you were the only one!!!

casey99COBRA
11-03-2004, 07:46 PM
kelley blue book is actually rated a little high... i would use NADA.com
:)

cobrabitn
11-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Glad I could be of help. :) I would pass on this car as it sounds like it has too much history on it. I know it hurts but I would opt for a one owner with low mileage. I bought my 1994 Rio Red Coupe with 60K on it. I paid 10K for it 3 years ago but it has given me three years of trouble free maintenance. You should be able to get one in between the 6 and 10 grand. I just love autotrader.com and bought 3 of my last 4 cars off of it.

What I look for when buying a preowned car:

Mileage?
Condition? (Interior, exterior, engine bay and engine)
Is it a one owner?
How close to stock is it? (Has it been modified?)
Does it have all the options I want?

Does it look like it has been taken care of?

Have a friend check it out with you.

There are good buys out there and now is a good time to get a Cobra. (Christmas is closing in and many people want to get rid of theirs due to the arrival of winter)

Above all, buy what you know you are going to be happy with because you are going to be the one driving it everyday.

Oh, I almost forgot...join a club and learn more, make friends, and enjoy your hobby with others! Good luck! :)

CobraMeister
11-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the additional input. I'm continuing my search and hoping for the best. Who knows where it will lead. As always.....the journey is the most enjoyable part!!!

nckissfan
11-06-2004, 06:02 PM
it wouldn't hurt to look at ebay motors. Sometimes there are some real nice cars there.