PDA

View Full Version : How I stopped that freaking Internet Explorer from sending me spyware!

cobrabitn
11-03-2004, 10:45 PM
After weeks of getting spyware on my computer and causing it to go slow and slower until it finally locked up, I swiutched my browser to Mozilla Firefox. It's a free download and it basically runs about twice as fast if not faster and eliminated the creepy spyware getting on my computer.

Most spyware is developed for IE 6.0 and not Firefox. I am so much happier with this browser and want to just eliminate IE all together off my computer.

Just thought I would share. Anyone else using this browser?

Oh BTW, many a time I would get boxes with x's in them and would have to reboot to get the photos to come up. Now, I don't get that anymore! :bounce:

93KingCobra
11-03-2004, 11:15 PM
I have been thinking about going to Mozilla for some time now but have not got around to it.

So what do you think?

So do you just delete IE totally from the computer and how do you do so??

cobrabitn
11-03-2004, 11:23 PM
First off... I like it a lot and I mean a lot. I wish I switched a long time ago.

Secondly, I don't know how to get IE off the computer. I guess I have to uninstall it but I haven't found where yet. I went to the "program" section and sent it to the recycle bin but whenever I click a link like to get here on the BB, I automatically go to IE along with its stupid idiotic boxes and x's. I was going to ask the club's IT expert we have down there in Houston but he must be major busy cause I can't even get him to update the store for me. :(

All in all, I'd add it to my computer, have the icon on the desk top and use it for a week or so. If you don't like it, uninstall it. If you do like it and I think you will, then when Firme tells me how to get rid of IE, I'll make it quit taking space up on my computer.

HTH?

Cobrabitn

casey99COBRA
11-04-2004, 12:13 AM
it's basically a souped up version of netscape! :( If you are getting spyware, there are a few programs that you can use to get rid of it. "Adaware" & "SpyBot". you should use both of these, even if you do not use IE, and run them at least once a week. I have a degree in computers :thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
11-04-2004, 01:08 AM
First off... I like it a lot and I mean a lot. I wish I switched a long time ago.

Secondly, I don't know how to get IE off the computer. I guess I have to uninstall it but I haven't found where yet. I went to the "program" section and sent it to the recycle bin but whenever I click a link like to get here on the BB, I automatically go to IE along with its stupid idiotic boxes and x's. I was going to ask the club's IT expert we have down there in Houston but he must be major busy cause I can't even get him to update the store for me. :(

All in all, I'd add it to my computer, have the icon on the desk top and use it for a week or so. If you don't like it, uninstall it. If you do like it and I think you will, then when Firme tells me how to get rid of IE, I'll make it quit taking space up on my computer.

HTH?

Cobrabitn

Tony, you can't remove IE from a windows machine. It's integrated into the OS which SUCKS. Just remove every shortcut you might have on the desktop that points to IE. Also, you might need to test any major changes to the website with firefox. Firefox is a great browser, and it does work great reducing spyware. I've been using it for about a year now.

Craig

cobrabitn
11-04-2004, 01:35 AM
I need to know how to make Firefox come up when I click a link instead of IE? I don't care about the rest.... :D

2KWhiteSnake
11-04-2004, 02:30 AM
I need to know how to make Firefox come up when I click a link instead of IE? I don't care about the rest.... :D

http://www.nonliteral.com/lawson/weblog/articles/leaving_ie_behind_you/

That's the link you need. It'll get you completely switched over. :D

cobrabitn
11-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks 2Kwhitesnake for the link.

Casey, I already have both of those programs along with a third program. I went to the task scheduler and set them to run once a day when I don't use the computer.

:)

beerkat
11-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Tony, If you are running XP and go to the add/remove softwar icon in the control pannel you can deactivate IE. When you open up the add/remove section you will see on the left side a bow for removing windows software, i have used it to deactivate Outlook express because of viruses.

I use spybot ot keep my computer clean. I ran firefox for awhile but went back to IE.

rpalmer
11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Note that Firefox also imports and uses all your IE favorites.

In XP, you can go to the Program Access control panel off the start button and tell Windows to use Firefox as the default browser instead of IE. Then Windows opens Firefox whenever you click a link.

It does run much faster than IE and I'm groovin' on the built in pop-up blocker.

The search bar is neat too, you can search Google, or a bunch of other search engines, or even have it search eBay. Just enter "steeda Tri-Ax" and off it goes to show you what's up for auction.

I think the full release version comes out November 9th.

-RP

cobrabitn
11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm using Windows 98 and I have never upgraded it since 5 years ago. I guess I didn't trust the source when they said patches were available?

Anyway, I have the spybot program, ad aware, and no adware and my spyware has been reduced to almost nothing. I'm going to continue to use Firefox as I like it a lot more for now.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-04-2004, 11:11 PM
How did you make it work for windows 98?

STU
11-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Tony, I use adaware and also windowwasher. http://www.webroot.com/products/windowwasher/

The webroot window washer program will free up allot of hard drive space. and clean out those hidden Index.dat files.

cobrabitn
11-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks Dave! :thumbsup:

93Snake
11-12-2004, 04:14 PM
I use Adaware and Spybot on my home machine. Everytime I run it, it finds the same piece of spyware. I always delete it, but when I shut off my computer and re-boot, it is right back again. It is like it is saved somewhere that the spy programs does not scan and replicates everytime the machine is re-booted. Anyone have any cures for this? I have tried searching the registry, but I don't know enough about it to tell what is supposed to be there and what is not. I would just delete everything from the HD, but I never got a disk for windows XP :(