PDA

View Full Version : Summit and Season???????

johnbasf
11-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Well???

SIUNARA
11-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Congrats to the 2004 American Iron champion...Bryan Shugg!!

Congrats also need to go out to Brian Smith for finishing second and Beau Dunnivant for finishing third and taking home two wins at Summit Point this weekend. Brian and Beau have come a long way and have proved to be very competitive drivers in the series. This weekends racing was some of the closest and best racing I've ever witnessed in the AI series. Shugg, Smith, Beau, and Bob Kaser battled both days to almost photo finishes and provided some VERY exciting racing. The weekend was left with everyone saying they can't wait until next year.

If the ending of the season in 2004 is any indication of what we're to witness in 2005, we are certainly in for a treat. I look very forward to the 2005 AI season.

FCorkran
11-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I finally got to watch an AI race on Sunday (from turn 3), definitely a good one to see. A good battle the first few laps between Beau and Bob, then the suspense of watching Bryan move closer every lap and wondering if he'd get a shot at Beau before the checker. Beau, did you qualify up front or was that a result of your standing start skill? Plus I was interested in watching Frank Barba move through the field in his Comp Coupe as well - even if he wasn't really racing anyone. After seeing him in the mirror following my HPDE1 student all weekend while breaking in the motor in the CC it was nice to see the car driven in anger (well, mild annoyance).

Anybody know what happened to Nelson at the end of the race? When he slowly pulled off after T3 it looked like he was going into the trees. I was afraid he was going to finish the year with a "bang" like last year.

After the past two events I'm looking forward to joining the fray next year. Now I need to study the driver profile photos so I can recognize everybody when they're NOT in a driver suit. :doh2:

svt_coupe
11-08-2004, 11:53 AM
After the past two events I'm looking forward to joining the fray next year. Now I need to study the driver profile photos so I can recognize everybody when they're NOT in a driver suit. :doh2:

Ha ha! No worries - I'm horrible with names and faces too.

This weekend was awesome. It was some of the closest racing I've ever had in the past 3 years of AI. The entire 7-hr trip home, Jason and I were talking about how much fun we had, how close the racing was, and how 2005 should be killer. I can't wait for next season with several new drivers entering the fray.

Qualifying on Saturday had the top 4 AI cars within 0.7 seconds of one another, with Brian Smith on pole. It was anyone's guess who was going to claim the checker. Saturday's race finish had Beau Dunnivant out front, Brian Smith in the #2 position, Bob Kaser in #3, and myself in #4. The racing was tight and clean.

Sunday was much of the same. A bum qualifying session (a car spun and was in a precarious position on the track) split the AI field a bit more than Saturday. Beau captured the pole. Beau AGAIN managed to pull off the trump spot at race's end with a very convincing victory. Despite Beau's dominance, the racing was very tight. He had to earn his victory with several assaults from the AI grid. Fortunately for Beau, Brian and Bob both talked about how their cars were washing away as the race went on. Old tires will do that...

Bob Kaser will be a force when he gets some bigger brakes and wheels (he was running 12" dual piston and 16" wheels). He promises to bring the thunder next year. Beau, Brian, and Bob are driving the snot out of their cars. They are running record-quality AI times on old tires. AI times are now consistently deep into the 1:23/1:24 range at Summit Point, which when you consider that all of the top cars are overweight by a good margin, is pretty impressive stuff.

Hey Beau - I'm glad I finally was able to pass you on Sunday, albeit on the tow home. I hope I didn't scare Mike too much by hanging out the window...

I'm still totally pumped up from these past 2 weekends of racing. The last two weekend were awesome. The relationship we (AI) have with the CMC drivers is pretty great. I'm hoping we can "banner" all three series the same next year so our car counts will look stronger. It's a natural fit and one that I think would improve exposure for all three series (CMC, AI, and AIX). The car numbers are rising and the comradery is just plain awesome in pony car racing.

Anyone know if Harold's luck will improve next year? I felt for him when he lost the wheel with only a few laps to go. The CMC crowd are great racers and even better people. I enjoy racing with them every time we take to the track.

I guess the next time I'll see everyone will be at the awards ceremony. Looking forward to it.

etm63
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Hey Bryan,

Congratulations on the championship! Way to go to all you other AI/AIX guys that I haven't officially met yet too! It was killing me this year not being able to race with you guys but I guess I have to learn to walk before I can run. Now that I've gotten my provisional comp license, I'm ready - it just sucks that I have to wait unitl 2005! Anyway, I can't wait. Y'all just make sure you take it easy on us rookie's next year!:baby: Again, congrats to everyone on an awesome season!

Peace out,
Ed McGuire (eDog)
McGuireMotortSports
AI #89 (coming soon...)

Mystic_Cobra
11-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Great weekend. Great racing. AND I even got a credit for my troubles...

;)

Does anyone know of any track events in the next 4-6 weeks in the mid-atlantic region (SP, Lowes, CMP, VIR, etc)?
I'd like to get one more event in this season, if I can.

BOC- Beau
11-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Man what a weekend! :D What tight competition! In the Sunday race I looked in my mirror about half way through the race(at the time I was in the lead) and I could see the second, third and forth place cars. ALL of them were in my rear view mirror. :run: Any of these four cars could have easily won the race. In the Saturday race I was in fourth place and the top three cars were in my windshield.

I have had an awesome time this year racing with all the AI guys(read: AI, AIX, CMC). I have run with All three east coast regions this year, and what I find wherever I go are friendly people who are eager to lend a hand if the need arises. This year I have been to CMP, Putnam Park, Road Atlanta, Summit Point(4 times), VIR, MID-Ohio, I think I am forgeting one. Anyway, When I put my car in the tires at VIR, Brian Smith jumped in to help without hesitation. When Kent Lydic broke his transmission, I loaned him my spare. When Tone and Wilson needed a fuel pump at Putnam Park, Mark Luna had one. When Remen and Smeltzer wrecked at Mid-Ohio, half the field helped pack them up, and tended to their needs. I know that AI has struggled this year, But after the last two weekends in the Virginia region, I feel that we can look to 2005 with great expectations. I am so glad that we were able to end this season on a positive note. Racing series are run by humans. Humans are flawed, therefore racing series are flawed.

Beau Dunnivant #68 AI East

P.S. No Shugg, #67 FOREVER

BOC- Beau
11-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Beau, did you qualify up front or was that a result of your standing start skill?

Anybody know what happened to Nelson at the end of the race? When he slowly pulled off after T3 it looked like he was going into the trees. I was afraid he was going to finish the year with a "bang" like last year.

Well, My standing starts looked more like smoke screens this past weekend. I think I need to go back to the basics.

Nelson had engine problems. I am not sure what happened.

FCorkran
11-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know of any track events in the next 4-6 weeks in the mid-atlantic region (SP, Lowes, CMP, VIR, etc)?
I'd like to get one more event in this season, if I can.
At Summit there's a FATT Nov. 19 (wait list only), Car Guys on Shenandoah :woooah: this Fri-Sun. Not sure if EMRA is racing only or not the following weekend on the main track.

2KWhiteSnake
11-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Congrats Brian!!!

Glad this year went well for you and the others.

Craig :cool:

johnbasf
11-09-2004, 12:12 PM
It would be great to see some in-car Beau. :D

johnbasf
11-09-2004, 02:07 PM
That Sunday race was real close. :eek: http://www.nasaracing.net/04Nov06/sun_results/R%20Big%20Bore%20&%20HC1%20110704.html

BOC- Beau
11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
That Sunday race was real close. :eek: http://www.nasaracing.net/04Nov06/sun_results/R%20Big%20Bore%20&%20HC1%20110704.html

Am I reading this right? Less that a half of a second between 1 and 2 then about 8 sec. later, less than a half of a second between 3 and 4? That is closer than I thought and I was in the race!!! :eek:

BOC- Beau
11-10-2004, 12:31 PM
By the way congratulations to Alan Kefauver for completing his first American Iron Race. We also enjoyed the presence of Mr. Dobyns an A-Sedan racer who joined us in AI for this race. He was running AIX because of tires, but plans to be AI next time out.

johnbasf
11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Am I reading this right? Less that a half of a second between 1 and 2 then about 8 sec. later, less than a half of a second between 3 and 4? That is closer than I thought and I was in the race!!! :eek:

You're reading it right Beau. I HOPE to see Shugg's in-car this weekend. :D :D

Big Daddy
11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Congratulations Bryan! Glad to see you back on top of the AI standings again! Have a great off season and I hope to be at the track much more this next year! :D :thumbsup:

Dean95CobraR
11-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Congrats Shugg!!

Man, I can't believe we didn't get to meet up this last year but hopefully next year will be different. :thumbsup:

BOC- Beau
11-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Dean, have you started rebuilding yet?

Dean95CobraR
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Dean, have you started rebuilding yet?

Nope, I'm still looking. I am hoping something will turn up over the winter. I hope I can find something track worthy instead of starting from scratch.

wildhorsesracin
11-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Congrats Shugg, Beau & Brian S.!

It was an awesome season, when I came up two weeks ago and had as much fun as I did I knew this past weekend was going to be awesome!!

I only wish my schedule would've permitted me to run again this past weekend :( I heard the racing was great to watch this past weekend and the comraderie off track was the usual 'one big happy family' that has become the signature of CMC/AI/AIX racing on the east coast :cool:

I am looking forward to 2005, we have a few ideas for an East Coast Championship in the works :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to running with all of you again regularly :cool: it looks promising for all of the AI races in 2005 to be exciting and tremendous fun :bounce: and I plan to make sure I am the 'moving chicane' I am meant to be :thumbsup:

See you all in 2005 :thumbsup:

b_tone
11-11-2004, 11:42 PM
I am looking forward to 2005, we have a few ideas for an East Coast Championship in the works :thumbsup:

Jim do you have any details on how the regions (OH/IN, VA and SE) are planning on working together to come up with a solution to an issue (a true east coast series) that has historically been unsolvable?

Are you including the OH/IN region in your discussions? It would seem that since the ON/IN region has had the strongest consistent car count that they would be included yet our 'director' has not mentioned to the actual racers.

Any thoughts?

BPT

justagt
11-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Brian,

It is my understanding that there is an effort to include your region and drivers in an AI East Championship.

Of course, it was my understanding that me engine had enough oil pressure just before it died.

wildhorsesracin
11-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Of course, it was my understanding that me engine had enough oil pressure just before it died.

:rotf: :rotf: :jk: :banana: :flip: :lol: :rotf: :rotf:

I nearly wet myself with that one! :thumbsup:

b_tone
11-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Jim, once again I ask if you have spoken to the OH/IN regional AI director. I would like to know why you as a regional director not an AI director are planning an East Coast championship.

If you are actually trying to plan a TRUE east coast championship would it not behoove you to try to get the largest car count possible? If that were the case I suspect that you are in fact counting on the ON/IN cars participating due to the fact that we have had the largest car count in the past year.

Please Jim shed some light these bold statements you are making.

Nothing but respect,

BPT

wildhorsesracin
11-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Why would I post details about an American Iron East Coast Championship in an AV8SS forum?

BobKaser#90
11-13-2004, 10:57 PM
I want to congratulate Beau for two hard fought wins! Good Job man. I have been doing some sort of timetrialing or racing since 1989 and this last event was some of the closest and most exciting I have been a part of. That goes for all the Nasa events I have been to this year, and I am glad to be on board w/ them.

I also want to thank him for being great help at the track. After meeting him only once at the July race he made sure to come by my pit at Mid-Ohio and say hi. Beau you and your crew are a first class act. I only have run 3 AI races so far but Beau and Brian Smith And Shugg have welcomed this damm yankee and are all good people. I guess some of the funny looks I got are just cause of my New Yawk accent.:)

I already got a line on some used Cobra R rims so I am on my way to being a little faster for next year and perhaps if I can get some consistent brakes I hope I can hold on to one for a win. I am going to try and do all the Summitt Point races and the Mid- ohio event again along w/ my regular Emra events. btw they are holding sprint races at Summitt this weekend if any one wants to check em out, they also are running the almost legendary 4hr twilight enduro on sat which is alway a sight.

looking foward to seeing you guys next year, Bob #90

b_tone
11-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Why would I post details about an American Iron East Coast Championship in an AV8SS forum?

You can't be serious with this post can you?

1-You in this very thread brought up the idea of an east coast championship, in fact if you take 37 seconds to scroll up to post #20 you will see that.

2-This forum is an AI/AV8SS forum so why would you not want to post? This would be the appropriate forum.

3-You have repeatedly mentioned an east coast championship in the past 2 years and we have yet to see squat.

Now, why don't you correct me on this whole thing and give us some details?

johnbasf
11-14-2004, 11:34 AM

Jim, the SCMC has friends who are involved in both series. We welcome news on behalf of both series. Please don't make this an either/or forum as it is intended to be a sounding board for ALL of the SCMC family. Thanks

P.S. Good luck with the AI East project. :thumbsup:

wildhorsesracin
11-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Jim, the SCMC has friends who are involved in both series. We welcome news on behalf of both series. Please don't make this an either/or forum as it is intended to be a sounding board for ALL of the SCMC family. Thanks

P.S. Good luck with the AI East project. :thumbsup:

I too, welcome the AV8SS folks to this forum, but AV8SS is supposed to be a professional race series with huge payouts, etc. and American Iron is an amateur series with sponsors and contingency payouts. I think that grouping them together is like mixing oil & water - why don't you create a complete forum just for AV8SS like you did for American Iron? :thumbsup:

PS. The AI East project is coming along nicely, thanks! :thumbsup:

b_tone
11-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Jim, for the third and final time can you please tell me how planning for an east coast championship is progressing when you have not spoken to the director of the largest chapter east of the mississippi? I asked Eric about your plans and he has confirmed that you have never spoken to him about it.

Also why are you as a regional director setting up this and not an actual AI director? You have yet to answer a single question that has been asked, how can we take you seriously?

johnbasf
11-14-2004, 07:31 PM
I too, welcome the AV8SS folks to this forum, but AV8SS is supposed to be a professional race series with huge payouts, etc. and American Iron is an amateur series with sponsors and contingency payouts. I think that grouping them together is like mixing oil & water - why don't you create a complete forum just for AV8SS like you did for American Iron? :thumbsup:

PS. The AI East project is coming along nicely, thanks! :thumbsup:

Jim, the SCMC has FRIENDS who are involved in both series. We welcome news on behalf of both series. Please don't make this an either/or forum as it is intended to be a sounding board for ALL of the SCMC FAMILY. Thanks

wildhorsesracin
11-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Keep checking www.NASAForums.com for details. :thumbsup:

BOC- Beau
11-15-2004, 08:58 AM
I want to congratulate Beau for two hard fought wins! Good Job man. I have been doing some sort of timetrialing or racing since 1989 and this last event was some of the closest and most exciting I have been a part of. That goes for all the Nasa events I have been to this year, and I am glad to be on board w/ them.

I also want to thank him for being great help at the track. After meeting him only once at the July race he made sure to come by my pit at Mid-Ohio and say hi. Beau you and your crew are a first class act. I only have run 3 AI races so far but Beau and Brian Smith And Shugg have welcomed this damm yankee and are all good people. I guess some of the funny looks I got are just cause of my New Yawk accent.:)

looking foward to seeing you guys next year, Bob #90

Thanks for the kind words Bob. We are always glad to see you. I am glad you are planning on joining us again next year. I look forward to the close races that we will have in the future. I am sure they will be even closer than this year.

mwilson7
11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Brian,

I honestly don't know why you even bother........

SIUNARA
11-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Mark,

You of all people should know that it's because he likes to stir the pot. ;)

wildhorsesracin
11-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Keep checking www.NASAForums.com for details. :spoke:

svt_coupe
11-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Beau you and your crew are a first class act.

You sure we're talking about the same Beau?
heh heh

Dean - we'll see you in '05 for sure. I too greatly missed running with you. I was hoping to see you at BeaveRun and Mid Ohio. BeaveRun you ditched me. MO, I ditched you.

Can't wait man... can't wait.

johnbasf
11-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Congrats to Beau for winning both races at the last event. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BOC- Beau
11-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Congrats to Beau for winning both races at the last event. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks John, I hope this is a sign of things to come for next year. :flash: :D

johnbasf
11-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Smiley. :D

SIUNARA
11-18-2004, 02:30 PM
It was nice of Beau to share his champagne with all of us during his celebration. Now his beer was another story. ;)

BOC- Beau
11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
It was nice of Beau to share his champagne with all of us during his celebration. Now his beer was another story. ;) See, if you guys would have stayed around, the American Iron\FFR afterparty was rockin'. We had the Newcastle delivered to Dobyns' heated tent. I would have gladly shared with you. :p

SIUNARA
11-18-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm sure the after party was fun. I'm sorry we missed it...but I have to say though, it was pretty cool listening to Shugg's dad share his story about taking the racecar out. He was grinning from ear to ear.

wildhorsesracin
11-18-2004, 10:00 PM
See, if you guys would have stayed around, the American Iron\FFR afterparty was rockin'. We had the Newcastle delivered to Dobyns' heated tent. I would have gladly shared with you. :p

...I heard the midnight scooter races were a blast! :cool: