PDA

View Full Version : Hood Struts

InfamousSVT
11-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Anyone know where I can get a set of Hood struts?
I'm ready to get rid of that stupid prop rod!

Red03
11-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Here is were I got mine

http://www.redlinetuning.com/

Great customer service, and a great product. :thumbsup:

Wish I would have done it long ago.

Firme
11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
be forwarned, two people I know of locally, had their hood crack where the strut mounts due to the struts putting pressure where there wasn't any design for pressure...

InfamousSVT
11-08-2004, 06:21 PM
be forwarned, two people I know of locally, had their hood crack where the strut mounts due to the struts putting pressure where there wasn't any design for pressure...Well, that's not good!
I'm still doing some research on it just to be sure it's worth it!

cobra330
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah I was going to get those 2 until I read some reviews and I heard that you need to modify this and modify that...that's when I decided forget it...I will live with the prop rod.

97CasperCobra
11-09-2004, 12:22 AM
be forwarned, two people I know of locally, had their hood crack where the strut mounts due to the struts putting pressure where there wasn't any design for pressure...

I'm one of those 2....:(

Loved the hood props...but with the hood cracking around the mounting point for the prop I didn't want it to break away. I follow the instructions to a "T", so I don't know WTF happened. The kit I had was from Dallas Mustang, so not sure if any others would be better/worse. Guess I have no choice other than to use the hood prop. :(

InfamousSVT
11-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Has anyone had any good results from switching to Hood struts?

SVTcobra04
11-09-2004, 07:16 AM
ford should have included them.Ive got em on my F450(gotta make money:D ) work truck why are they on that and not cobras.

raven69david
11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
I had install problems with the hood shocks. Mine were purchased from redline tuning as well. Turned out the hardware that was shipping with the hood shocks were inadequate and were cracking the hoods as that is what happened to mine. It only cracked at the mounting point and wasn't physically a crack, but the rivet came out causing it to make a slightly larger hole than intended. The new bolts that are shipping with the kits are redesigned and do the job the initial set was meant to do. The hood shocks work great and i love them. To get an even higher lift you can mount them backwards. I would recommend them and my initial review on them can be found on the Stangnet review board. BTW, i purchased them for $47.95 :thumbsup: in a GP.

On a side note, Redlinetuning really went out of their way to help me with this problem and their customer service was terrific; top notch. I would highly recommend buying from Redlinetuning.

93KingCobra
11-09-2004, 07:24 PM
I would not use them for everyday use if I where you I would only use them for shows or things like that B/C they will crack your hood eventually!!

InfamousSVT
11-09-2004, 08:03 PM
I would not use them for everyday use if I where you I would only use them for shows or things like that B/C they will crack your hood eventually!!
So, as long as I don't constantly use them daily to raise and lower the hood, they should be fine?

raven69david
11-09-2004, 08:27 PM
So, as long as I don't constantly use them daily to raise and lower the hood, they should be fine?
Think about it, how many times do you raise and lower the hood of your car on a daily basis? It's not that often where you would cause any damage to the car. It may take several years, if any, to cause any type of damage and then it may be because your ragging on the car and not being careful. I've had mine on for about 6 months and nothing related to car vibration or the shocks themselves have caused any damage to the hood other than the incorrect hardware first supplied with the shocks.

It may have happened to a few people, however there is no way to tell what they did to their hood to cause it to get like that. I raise the hood cautiously as i would if i was using a prop. I am even more careful with the shocks only cuz i try to take care of my stuff and not abuse it by rapidly letting the hood go up.

Purchase them, you won't regret it. They look nice and they function great. No more worrying about doing some maintenance under the hood and hitting the prop on accident and having the hood slam down on you.:o

InfamousSVT
11-10-2004, 03:11 AM
I actually talked to Brian at Redlinetuning, and asked him about their hood kits. He explained to me the design and that they put more engineering into their kits since the demand was so high for their kits. So he has assured me that it will not crack the hood and that he hasn't had any feedback since the re-design of any problems with the QuickLIFT or ELITE kits that manufacture!:thumbsup:

So I'm giong ahead and ordering them, and like you said how often do you really raise your hood unless changing the oil, installing a performance part, and etc...

STANGBUM
11-10-2004, 08:13 AM
I have had mine on (got them from REDLINE TUNING) about 6 months and have had no problems, It is there new design. As long as you are careful and don't "sling" the hood up it should work fine.

34Ford
11-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Thats bull about the hood cracking.

I have had the redline shocks on mine longer than Stangbum and NO such problems.

The way I look at is I now have more support for the hood than the prop rod putting a twist in your hood.

97CasperCobra
11-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Thats bull about the hood cracking.

riiiight.. :rolleyes: ..so explain to me how my hood started to crack when I had mine installed. Granted it was the Dallas Mustang kit and not Redline's, it still cracked.

I didn't raise my hood every day, only when I went to shows or worked in the engine, I was careful when I raised/lowered my hood as well. I'm not saying that the hood WILL crack, I'm just telling my experience with the brand I had. I hope that the ones you guys have do not crack and put yourselves in my position of constantly knowing that the hood is an eyesore now.

I guess I'm glad I took them off now b/c I am in the engine area at least once a week....cleaning/keeping it clean/or working on something to improve the car. Wish I still had them though...they were sweet and I always got compliments. :thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
11-13-2004, 04:42 PM
I guess it just varies from car to car, on if you have problems with it or not! Hopefully I have a car that won't be a problem, but for the guys that have had problems with the hood struts. I hate that it's happen to you!
I realize that everything that has happened to one car doesn't exactly happen the same to another, but I'm taking the risk and I'm going to install the hood struts, sometime down the road! But for now, I'm just going to purchase performance parts!!:D