PDA

View Full Version : Downside To Pullys?

Scott99Cobra
11-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I am looking at a set of March pullys and was wondering if there is any downside to putting them on? Their website claims that there would be no charging/cooling issues. Also, any problems or things to look for if I put them on myself? Is a 15 HP increase reasonable as they told me? This is my daily driver so I do not want any negative impact.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

dewone
11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
I put on the BBK pullies my self and have had no problems :thumbsup:

ian white
11-10-2004, 06:32 PM
I am looking at a set of March pullys and was wondering if there is any downside to putting them on? Their website claims that there would be no charging/cooling issues. Also, any problems or things to look for if I put them on myself? Is a 15 HP increase reasonable as they told me? This is my daily driver so I do not want any negative impact.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!I have them on my toy.Never had a problem,you can notice an increase in HP. Probably the cheapest mod for the money.You will notice a lower charging rate at idle ,but never had a problem in 5 years GO FOR IT!

cobrabitn
11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
In a word.... "Steeda". Getting 15 hp is really pushing it, more like 8-12 on the buttometer. The good thing about Steeda is that they are not a bolt on "piggyback" pulley but have an individual balancer. Most manufacturers will give you what the best numbers are that they obtained. Every car is different and you mileage may vary. :)

overkill91
11-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey Scott99Cobra. Do i know you from somewhere?

Here is a link to summit for the BBKs.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=bbk-1555

And the March

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=MCH-1150&x=10&y=9

dewone
11-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Jegs is usually cheaper on there parts than Summit. Check both sites before purchasing.

Scott99Cobra
11-11-2004, 09:30 AM
From what I have seen, both BBK and March use the piggyback pully setup for the crank. I will check out Steeda.

Thanks for all the info!

cobra330
11-11-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a 98 Cobra with Steeda pullies..I do LOTS of research..don't waste your time with anything but, the Steeda's. They are the best..and you will notice a difference.

overkill91
11-12-2004, 12:25 PM
So what is the downfall on the pigyback systems?

tgentry
11-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I have the piggyback March pulleys, I got them before the non-piggyback pulleys were available. I haven't had any problems, but the Steeda's will give you a cleaner, more "factory" look.

Installation will also be easier, since you save the step of pressing the two parts together, and, should you ever need to go back to stock for any reason you'll be able to. I'm not sure the March's can be seperated since you press them together with the outer part hot and the inner part cold.

Scott99Cobra
11-21-2004, 12:38 PM
So, aside from the piggy-back type pullies, what is the difference between brands? Does anyone know if there are any others besides Steeda that are non-piggyback?

yoshis99_cobra
11-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Just be careful with what you get. I ordered the March Pulley's and all the pulley's were the same size as stock. Even the Alternator pulley was heavier than the stock one. I just found this out on Saturday. I need to contact March and find out what happened. I'm sort of bummed so I might just return them and get the Steeda. Easy install. Only problem is make sure you have a good impact wrench. The one i had came with my compressor and it sucked. I needed to borrow one from my buddy's shop. It did the trick right away though. I did these in less than an hour.

tgentry
11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
I have March's on my '96 and there's a quite a size difference on the crank and water pump pulleys. The alternator pulley really won't have any effect on power, the amount of work your alternator is doing will effect that.

Did you buy your '99 new?