PDA

View Full Version : Off cobra question

dewone
11-10-2004, 09:33 AM
I Have a F 150 that I just put new plugs, wires, rotor, & dist cap on.
After all that I went to check the timing.
I removed what I hope is the spout connector plug, located on the wire harness leading to the IC module mounted to the base of the distributer.
Got the timing light set up started the engine, and could not find the timing mark. Rotated the dist fully in both directions and still could not see the mark.
For some reason I checked up under the truck and found the mark?
I rotated the gears on the dist 180 no start progressivlly rotated the gear around at each spot it would seat into the gears about every third tooth wouldn't start until I was back to where I started. And the dang timing mark is found under the truck again but runns smooth? Any suggestions on getting the mark to the proper place?

smashedheadcat
11-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Are you "setting" the distributor with no.1 cyl at top dead center? If not, you need to make sure you are. It will run 180 degrees off, but not very well.

dewone
11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I'll check for that.
Thank you.

cobrabitn
11-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Your truck will not run if you are 180 degrees off, it'll just turn over. That seems to be a puzzling situation and makes me think you may have the wrong dampener on the truck, possibly? If you cut the truck off and the mark is at the bottom then that's not a problem as the mark will not always stop at the timing marker.

What you have to do is take the number one plug out and "bump" your piston up till it reaches the top of it's travel path. At that point you are either at the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke. If your rotor button is pointing to the number one contact on the distributor then you should be on the compression stroke. Since you rotated the button around and the truck started only in the one position, then that would be the right position for the button to be in and you will be at the top of the compression stroke.

Going back to the timing... bump the piston up and when the piston reaches the top, the timing mark should be in alignment with the timing pointer. If that is the case, then everything is correct. If it is a little off, then the timing is probably advanced a little and probably will not need any more adjustment.

HTH

dewone
11-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Actually I did that last night.
#1 plug out and rotated the crank by hand.
When the cyclinder was up the rotor is pointing towards the #1 plug point, yet the timing mark is still down underneath the truck around 7 oclock at that point, with timing marker around 10 oclock (facing the front of the balancer).
I'm confused cause I thought they should all be lined up at that time.
The darn thing idles smooth, and runs okay, just a little missing around 3000 rpm and above. 4000 rpm limit on the 300 straight 6. Just try'n to get the truck to a reliable point to slither the cobra into her hole before winter and the salt hits the roads in Ohio.
Thanks for your input.

SNAKEYE
11-11-2004, 08:00 AM
I Have a F 150 that I just put new plugs, wires, rotor, & dist cap on.
After all that I went to check the timing.
I removed what I hope is the spout connector plug, located on the wire harness leading to the IC module mounted to the base of the distributer.
Got the timing light set up started the engine, and could not find the timing mark. Rotated the dist fully in both directions and still could not see the mark.
For some reason I checked up under the truck and found the mark?
I rotated the gears on the dist 180 no start progressivlly rotated the gear around at each spot it would seat into the gears about every third tooth wouldn't start until I was back to where I started. And the dang timing mark is found under the truck again but runns smooth? Any suggestions on getting the mark to the proper place?
Are you using an induction-type timing light (the kind with a clamp that goes over a sparkplug wire)?
If so, sounds to me like you're on the wrong wire!
Check your cylinder numbering and move to the correct wire.

dewone
11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
It's a striaght 6

SNAKEYE
11-11-2004, 12:24 PM
It's a striaght 6
Then it should be easy to find the #1 wire!:rolleyes:

dewone
11-12-2004, 07:32 AM
Yes I'm preety sure I found #1, and it's a direct plug into the spark plug type timing light. Perhaps Ford put the wrong balancer on. Then again how did the truck get timed to begin with at the factory, if that was wrong? I should be happy the dang thing runs at this point. Just had the transmission rebuilt, replaced both gas tanks, (now the fuel gauge isn't registering anywhere close) installed all new shocks, new rotors, drums and pads, just felt a tune up was in order. And now the timing marks want to give me a fit. Frustrated :mad:
Thank you for your input.

SNAKEYE
11-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Yes I'm preety sure I found #1, and it's a direct plug into the spark plug type timing light. Perhaps Ford put the wrong balancer on. Then again how did the truck get timed to begin with at the factory, if that was wrong? I should be happy the dang thing runs at this point. Just had the transmission rebuilt, replaced both gas tanks, (now the fuel gauge isn't registering anywhere close) installed all new shocks, new rotors, drums and pads, just felt a tune up was in order. And now the timing marks want to give me a fit. Frustrated :mad:
Thank you for your input.
Well then, move the light to the next plug, and the next, etc., until you get one that gets the light flashing somewhere near the pointer and the marks. Note the approximate setting for possible return to it. Then set it per service instructions.