PDA

View Full Version : Warning for Users of Anti-Seize!

Black Horse
11-12-2004, 10:38 AM
If you are using anti-sieze lubricant on any fastener, surface or connection that needs to make an electrical connection or ground BE CAREFUL! Check the anti-sieze you are using with an Ohm-Meter first to make sure it is conductive.

I used the Permatex 133k Item# 80078 Anti-Seize lubricant purchased at Auto-Zone and found out that even though it looks like it is made from aluminum or nickle, it has no conductive properties and acted like an insulator.

DO NOT use this product on Spark Plugs, ground terminals, starter bolts, head bolts or sensor bolts especially if you need to ground through the material.

How did I discover this fact? I tried to use this material on my engine to frame ground wire connection since it corrodes causing a no-start condition - a ongoing problem with the Mustang. The Anti-Seize made it worse!

I wrote Permatex an email to find out the specifications. I know other Anti-Seize products are conductive.

Nothing to panic about, just trying to alert everyone so no one has any issues. Can you imagine if your spark plugs didnt ground?

Stavesacre21
03-31-2005, 01:23 AM
I know that i just totally dug this out of the archives, but i've got a question. I'm gonna be changing my plugs tomorrow, and was curious if using this anti-seize is a bad idea? I was told by a mechanic that it's a horriable idea, because it's made of some type of metal base, which doesn't sound too hot.....then hearing that it's an insulator...well...not sounding too good.

However, i've also heard from other sources (stangnet) that since our heads are aluminum, it's very important we use some type of anti-seize.....is this a contradicting itself or WHAT?!

I'll also be using some dielectric grease for the boot/plug connection, and heard that it's a smart idea...sound right?

Your thoughts on anything and everything are welcome! :D

ausie
03-31-2005, 06:49 AM
There ares some anti-sieze compounds avaiable. I have used it on plugs and had no issues. Just a light coating will work. I think I used the same stuff (not exactly sure what the permatex part number was). If there is metal powder in it, it will be conductive at high voltages. A multi-meter will not validate that since it operates on relatively low current. If you want to test it, use it on a bolt that connects to a metal plate and test conductivity after it is inserted. There will be some resistance to it, but for 10k volts or higher, that will not matter. The package should state it is intended for use on spark plugs. It is probably not suitable for other electrical connections.

dewone
03-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Anti sieze is good stuff. It is application specific. I would not use any anti seize on electrical connections. Use Alnox, or Burndy Penetrox A especially on aluminum to copper (AL/CU) connections, or any electrical connection of two unlike metals, or AL to AL.

tazzracing1
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Autozone sells small packets just for spark plugs and is a very great idea because you get a chemical reaction between stainless and aluminum and will corrode and lock up. Di-electric grease is also very good to use to stop plug boots from seizing to the plug and also help keeps out moister.