PDA

View Full Version : first real look at the 2005 Mustang

ausie
11-13-2004, 07:29 AM
I finnaly saw one at the local dealership. A black 2005 GT. In my opinion, the pictures make a difference, but in 3D I do not like it that much. The only aspect that I liked about the 2005 was that the seats looked comfortable but the rest of the interior looked more like the new F-150. I have become fond of the now retired humped dash and cockpit. The exterior was not what I expected either. It would look much better with a different hood on it similar to the dual vented SVT hood. Perhaps one in a different color than black would change my opinion. I guess it is not all that bad, but I still like the style of my 04 over the new 05.

cobra330
11-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Ditto that here!

raider60
11-13-2004, 11:26 AM
I absolutely agree.

Lumpydogs
11-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Let me start by saying I DON'T LIKE CHANGE. However, the exterior of the Mustang GT has grown on me. I think it looks alright, especially the front end. But what were the boys & girls at the blue oval thinking about with that interior???? The gage clusters are horrible and that retro/sharp edge styling doesn't work for me. The interior looks like a auto show concept car that you know they will never build. Just my opinion. :D

RheacerDave
12-06-2004, 08:12 PM
pfffft Kids.

The '67-'69 styling ques are spot on. Great concept.
I guess I'm still po'ed over the '66 GT 350 blk/blk 4 speed, 16,000 miles, I let get away in '73 for $3,500. I just like those years before the Mustang got too big.
Of course, that's about the time I started driving,too.
Anybody know where you can buy 315x17 WideOvals with red sidewall stripes....;)

smashedheadcat
12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
To each his own, but I love everything about the car except for the wheels. I've been seriously considering trading my '03 cobra in on an '05 GT.

cowboyharry
12-08-2004, 12:36 AM
When I 1st saw the photos of the 05 , I just had t have one.
But when I saw it in real life at the 40th anniv. show, something about it just didnt turn me on.

But now that Ive looked at it again, I like it. :crazy:

tazzracing1
12-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I tried one out the other day. I just stopped to check it out but the salesman was really nice the shift is very short a seems to me to be right on the money. I like the sound of the car also I think it looks better in person than in the pictures and the driving lights are a must.

Firme
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Jury is still out for me. I like it, but I know that certain thing would get changed with the cars appearance, if I owned it.

All this talk of getting an 05 GT, has anyone heard rumors of the 07 Cobra Yet??? :eek:

The internet buzz is starting to pick up, and the rumors just got me :bugeyes:

I see alot of "I heard through the grape vine from a guy inside FORD" ITS A 5.4.... ITS A "3 valve" ( boooo :mad: )..... ITS GOT POWER IN THE 450-490 range.... ITS GOT A twin screw... ITS GOT TWIN TURBO'S... ITS GOT A LIVE AXLE OPTION..... ITS GOT A AUTO OPTION ( boooo :mad: ).... IT PULLs over 1g on the skid pad... :eek:
man, one should never assume the rumors to be true or get too excited, but its got me all :twitchy: of the possibities. I am believer in that SVT/Ford sometimes start these rumors themselves for free advertising, gauging the owner base, or just seeing the public response to the upcomming products. Its just hard to know when its them doing it.

tazzracing1
12-08-2004, 07:55 PM
The mustangs have gone back to solid axle. The dealership also said it would be out sometime around 2006 1/2. I was also told that the motor in the new cobra was the one from the lighting truck and will be a stick due to the automatic not being able to hold the horse power.

Firme
12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
The mustangs have gone back to solid axle. The dealership also said it would be out sometime around 2006 1/2. I was also told that the motor in the new cobra was the one from the lighting truck and will be a stick due to the automatic not being able to hold the horse power.

:confused: Mustangs have always been solid axle. The Cobra is IRS. The new platform chassis was designed for an IRS, with solid axle wedged in for the V6 and GT (opposite of the fairmont chassis and Cobra IRS). It would only make sense for them to at least offer an IRS for the Cobra since the chassis was designed for it (it would be nice for them to offer a choice since some want to drag cobra's and some want to road race).

I personally have found dealers to be the biggest source of misinformation in the chain of Cobra knowledge, and the last to find out anything. It might be different in your neck of the woods since you are close to "the action". :dunno:

johnbasf
12-08-2004, 09:07 PM
All I can say is go drive the '05 GT. The car is just BETTER!! I took one for a 1hr ride and was very impressed. :thumbsup:

Zedoc
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I drove an '05. It is great. It had an automatic that worked. I'd like one but they are too pricey for now.

Of course, I haven't had an earlier one to compare it to.

THe exterior looks are an improvement, big time. THe interior, not so much. In fact, I could have designed it better. I like the Mach 1 interior better. I don't like the faux shaker hood on the old GT, at all. The real one on the Mach is great. The '05 GT just has a plain hood, which is OK. It is available with 'spoiler delete' option. That's the way I'd get it. Much cleaner. I don't care for non-functional spoilers or shakers.

There's a Mach 1 here but it's $19,000. Not me. I'd get an '05 GT instead.

Everyone says the '05s are such an improvement. What was wrong with the earlier cars? Like I said, I haven't had one. Tell me.

Firme
12-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Everyone says the '05s are such an improvement. What was wrong with the earlier cars? Like I said, I haven't had one. Tell me.

The best way to sum up the problem with the old one 'They are outdated'.

The chassis of the "old one" is a knockoff of the Ford Fairmont, not exactly a purpose made, pure bread sports car by todays standard. To add insult to injury, the chassis dates back to 1979. So essentially, you have a chassis design, the backbone of the car, that is 25 years old with minor upgrades here and there (yeah since 79, they reskinned it and bandaided it, but the guts were the same), competing with stuff that has way more modern design and engineering. I mean, you HAVE to give ford and team mustang credit for making the car what it is with what they had to work with. Its really impressive how these cars held their own against the others. BUT NOW, they finally have redone the chassi. It takes its queue from the lincoln LS and the Jaguar, which are very well engineerd. The S197 platform of the 05 offers many advantages over the old one. It is has a wheel base that is 6 inches longer, the chassis stiffness and "bend resistance" of the subframe is 49% more rigid than its predecesor, the torsional load resistance is 31% higher, which means it will not twist under torquing or cornering (I believe the figure used is it will give 1" under 15k+ lbs of load torque), the cabin is more ruged, and it utilizes a true mcpherson setup. The Car comes dialed in better from the factory, due to the fact that the suspension geometry is more precise, the old ones, well they bent and flexed so much, that no two were setup the same as far as suspension geometry.

Sorry for the long post, hope that helps

cowboyharry
12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
I tried one out the other day. I just stopped to check it out but the salesman was really nice the shift is very short a seems to me to be right on the money. I like the sound of the car also I think it looks better in person than in the pictures and the driving lights are a must.
What good are the driving ? lights?????

RheacerDave
12-09-2004, 11:08 AM
"knockoff of the Ford Fairlane, "

Fairmont?

Firme
12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
"knockoff of the Ford Fairlane, "

Fairmont?

holy crap :retard: , why did I type fairlane.... yes yes fairmont, I need to proof my typing more I guess :o
thanks, fixed...

ausie
12-09-2004, 12:52 PM
At least ford re-vamped the mustang instead of shelfing the idea like chevey did with the camaro. I finally saw the full GT version (driving lights included) in silver at a small dealership (the lot is only capable of holding 30 vehicles max). All of the other Ford dealerships did not have any and they still do not have them on the lot or in the showroom. The silver 05 GT had what I would call the worse color choice for the interior (blood red which makes it look a bit cheesy). Other than that, it was not bad looking since I was able to see all of the body lines (the black one sort of hid mose of the design cues). I guess what the turn off is to me is the wheels. I prefer the old school look (wide ass tires in the rear with a deep dish, with matching fronts but not so deep). That would really set the car off in the right direction for me anyway. I can wait for the next generation SVT Cobra and will reserve my comments for that. As for the 04, it seems a bit stiffer than the 01 I had. I guess I can give my thumbs up for the new design even if I don't like it that much. :thumbsup: It is something that will grow on you. What I thought was missing were the two vents on the hood like the 03/04 SVT has which was on the vintage design from the late 60's or early 70's. There is always room for improvement. At least it is still rear wheel drive. The next step would be to get behind the wheel of one and see what makes it different. I am still sold on my 04 SVT proably since I just got it two months ago. I was able to compare the two vehicles side by side and I still like the 04 better than the 05.

Zedoc
12-09-2004, 07:12 PM
The best way to sum up the problem with the old one 'They are outdated'.

The chassis of the "old one" is a knockoff of the Ford Fairmont,... the chassis dates back to 1979. So essentially, you have a chassis design, the backbone of the car, that is 25 years old ... minor upgrades here and there ...competing ....redone the chassi. ...well engineerd. The S197 platform of the 05 offers many advantages over the old one. ... "bend resistance" ...49% more rigid ..torsional load resist.ance is 31% higher, ... mcpherson setup. ...dialed in better from the factory, ... old ones, well they bent and flexed so much, that no two were setup the same ....

Sorry for the long post, hope that helps
No, that wasn't a long post. Thanks for going into it. I guess there is truth to those aspects, but Euclid knew about triangles 3000 years ago and I don't know why they were not able to make a stiff chassis 25 years ago that worked well. 49% doesn't strike me as that much, but I don't really know. With motorcycles, they routinely make new models 100% or 150% less flex than a previous model.

I'm torn between a new one, (which I just ordered today for $500 over invoice with the spoiler delete option, $100 down) and a lightly used, completely stock 1997 black convertable SVT Cobra that the owner is beggging me to take for $13,000 and I can do better and it's cherry. So, I need some more answers, fast. They sure diss the old ones, though.:bounce:

FORDSVTCARS
12-10-2004, 01:09 AM
checked out the 05 gt the other day and my 1st impression is its exterior is eye catching but the interior will have to grow on me. to expensive for a gt,cant wait to see the 07 snake