PDA

View Full Version : Been thinking about buying dyno.

NewFoundPower
11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Well, same ole story, hate my job and want to do something I enjoy. For the past 6 years or so I have toyed with the idea of buying a portable dyno. As far as I know, there are NO dynos here in the Wilmington area (I think the cloest is in Raleigh?). Just wanted to see if you guys and gals could maybe hook me up with someone to talk to about it. Would it even be something you could make money off of? I don't know and would hate to make any rash decisions. I am hoping that it would also be the start of a speed shop here in the Wilmington area as well. Maybe these are unrealistic dreams but if I didn't research it then I would always wonder. Thanks.

-D-

GeoSnake
11-16-2004, 05:51 AM
Wayne's Dyno (www.waynesdyno.net) in Jacksonville is the closest to you and he gets a lot of the Wilmington business. He tunes Diablo. Wayne has a loyal following from the "heavy hitters" but I think you'd do well as long as your dyno was open to all makes, given Jacksonville is still 45-50 minutes north of you. For the nine years I was in Wilmington, I could count the number of modded Mustangs in town on my hands. I hear there a quite a few now. What you don't want to see is the over-population of dynos like the Raleigh area. There are at least 10 w/in 50 minutes of downtown Raleigh. I pass by two dynos, one in-ground and one mobile, on the way to and from work each day. If you are very serious, I know the moble DynoJet I pass each day is for sale, or at least I think it still may be. Let me know if you want me to check. I don't think your idea is unrealistic because a dyno can be a "cash cow" is promoted properly and there isn't that much local competition.

NewFoundPower
11-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. I do think one would do well here in Wilmington. There seem to be ALOT of modded mustangs running around as well as a slew of vettes and camaros (there is also quite a large ricer market here as well). I wouldn't mind getting some info on that Dynojet if you have a chance. Now where would I look to find a tuner? Do you think I need one right off? Ultimately I would like to learn to do it myself.

-D-

GeoSnake
11-16-2004, 10:49 AM
I just inquired on the status of the mobile Dynojet and the owner is in negotiation w/ an interested buyer. I think an in-ground would be the way to go in Wilmington. Tuning... I wouldn't go w/ anything other than SCT (Superchips Custom Tuning). In my humble opinion, its the best stuff on the market.