PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk porting...

VenomInside
11-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Hey.. Well here is the mods i plan on doing (this way you can judge if some of the other stuff is needed or not.

2.80 Pulley w/ idler and 74" gates belt
Predator programmer
Steeda Short Throw
Bassani Midlength headers (not sure yet)

*What i would want ported..

Stock Eaton
Heads
Throttlebody and Intake Manifold (or i could go aftermarket Accufab?)

What would you all suggest?

Butcher
11-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Hey.. Well here is the mods i plan on doing (this way you can judge if some of the other stuff is needed or not.

[QUOTE=VenomInside] 2.80 Pulley w/ idler and 74" gates belt?Surely, depending on what you've already bolted onto the car first :)

Predator programmer?I shut mine down after 3 days and used Superchips. They tend to run lean on the dyno, again depending on whats already bolted on. I have a brand new one for sale for 200.00. :)

Steeda Short Throw?I use a Pro 5.0 with my setup. I purchased it before the MGW deal. These people based on posts love this new MGW short throw. If I planned to keep my 6 speed, i'd have purchased one already.

Bassani Midlength headers (not sure yet)?I run the factory cast iron header. Flows well, no maintenance. You;ll only gain 25 horse with bolt ons. Unless you plan to port and flow the heads, and then cam the motor, your costs and maintenance may be prohibitive. When you do these modes, you'll realise decent horsepower gains above 25 horse.
If you dont plan too, why worry with the BS?

Stock Eaton?Do you have an extra to afford the downtime? If not, and you have the funds, consider a Procharger or Kenne-Bell setup. Both are excellent alternatives to porting the Eaton, without downtime, and will deliver more RWHP.

Heads
Throttlebody and Intake Manifold (or i could go aftermarket Accufab?)?Yes. I've had excellent luck with Accufab products thus far. Works well out of the box, but I have gasket matched. This is normal stuff. Any of these guys will attest to this. :) These mods should be done before considering any SC upgrades, as well as a MAF upgrade to handle the flow on a stock engine. Flow ;)

There are many things that can be considered, then done. Remember, consider your suspension with the engine mods, and which route are you taking, street or strip?

What would you all suggest?Whatever fits your way of setting up your car, of course. What your happiest with ultimately dictates your direction. :) There is a TON of information on this forum to help you decide. ;)

Jimmie

VenomInside
11-19-2004, 10:51 AM
That was very informative Jimmie.. Thank You :thumbsup: Well i plan to make this car street/strip.. I plan on beefing up the IRS a ton while in the process of doing some engine work. As far as for the porting.. there will be no down time cause I am making a trip to Missouri to get it ported and tuned etc on site. I was thinking of just getting it ported etc for this year 05' and then just getting a kenne bell in 06'.

InfamousSVT
11-22-2004, 01:09 AM

2.80 Pulley w/ idler and 74" gates belt
Predator programmer
Steeda Short Throw
Bassani Midlength headers (not sure yet)

Stock Eaton
Heads
Throttlebody and Intake Manifold (or i could go aftermarket Accufab?)

What would you all suggest?
In my opinion, I'd only go with the MGW short throw shifter!:thumbsup:
The 2.80 pulley with idler is a good choice, of course with a good tune!
Accufab throttle body, expect more torque then hp from it, but in my opinion is worth it!

*Depending on what you are going to use the car for mainly, you posted street/strip, Everyday driver??

The Kenne Belle / Whipple upgrade with the 14psi, will have you running at 550hp+!! With your other mods, you'd be looking at over 600rwhp.
Porting the stock Eaton and other mods will only put you just over 500hp!

Depending on what you are going to use the car for mostly and how much money you want to put into it, the limitations are endless really! It's all up the you!:)

VenomInside
11-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Well right now i have just the Bassani catback w/ x-pipe and K&N intake.

I will most likely go Whipple in 06...

The car is a daily driver..