PDA

View Full Version : Old Fords never die, they just go faster...

FCorkran
11-25-2004, 01:49 AM
I promised John I'd post progress updates on the Mystic Cobra, so here's one. Now that Christian's '66 is sitting on it's Toyo tires and approaching the first press of the starter button, I finally went to his place to work on my car yesterday.

The only wiring in the car now is the power/starter cables (coiled in the back seat area) and pigtails for the lights and ABS. Man, what a (heavy) mess. Judging by the number of cut wires in the harness and tie wraps I'd guess John tried to remove it before discovering the PATS tie-in to the computer. The date on the key reader makes me think the original was lost/destroyed in the first gutting attempt. :)

For sale: '96 Cobra ECM, complete set of PATS modules. If no one speaks for them there will be a PATS-burning party at the first race weekend that both John and I attend.

The car now has only number/class and Toyo decals. Oh, and I did leave the little Pyrotech decal on the roof covering that nasty roll cage install boo-boo. :D The NASA decals were getting pretty nasty, so new ones next year. I'll put one of them over the tie-wrap dent in the driver's door. :) As for the rest, space is for rent. ;) Considering the attitude I got from MM when I asked for a little assistance, they'd have to pay a lot more than a small contingency to advertise on my car. :mad:

I'm still finalizing the design of the new electrical system, but the switches will go on a rollbar mounted panel in front of the shifter. Since I have to close the hole in the dash were the factory cluster was mounted I may make a panel for the gages there. The MSD will be mounted under the interior air inlet on the firewall. All the wiring will go through the hole that leads inside the right fender, except the ABS wiring which will go into the left fender, along with the Accusump line. Easier to cut out if they change the rules in the future. ;) Then I can close all those holes through the firewall into the engine compartment.

Anybody have a recommendation for a bypass fuel pressure regulator that can take the output pressure of the stock in-tank pump and feed 5 psi to the carb? Or will I have to put an EFI bypass regulator in front of the tank plus a carb non-bypass regulator under the hood? I was going to use the mechanical fuel pump but using the in-tank saves me from dropping the tank, swapping in a carbed tank pickup and running fuel lines to the other side of the car. My motor had to be rebuilt shortly after I originally put it in my '83 because the rebuilt fuel pump decided to pump fuel into the oil as well as the carb. Too bad I didn't discover it until after a trip to Summit Point. :(

Another advantage of ditching the mechanical pump is that I can use an oil-water cooler I have available, originally off a 5.0L Explorer, I think. I noticed in the GRM article that Bryan is using the stock Cobra cooler, so it should do the job. Is the 4.6 Cobra cooler plumbed into the lower radiator hose like the Explorer, or the heater lines like the early Cobra/SS cooler? John, were you using the stock cooler, and/or did you have an air-air cooler?

Next is to get the motor/tranny/MSD/throttle cable out of the '83 and into the Cobra. De-tuning the 351W for AI will come later, but today I discovered that the former president of my Mustang club just installed a DynoJet 248 dyno in his shop, so now if I can get him added to the list of certified dyno stations... I know of at least 3 potential AI customers that live near his shop, besides myself.

johnbasf
11-25-2004, 02:06 AM
I For sale: '96 Cobra ECM, complete set of PATS modules. If no one speaks for them there will be a PATS-burning party at the first race weekend that both John and I attend.

John, were you using the stock cooler, and/or did you have an air-air cooler?

I'm all for the PATS burning party!!! :rotf:

I used the stock oil cooler. I think Will Sadler will jump in here and give some tips on oil cooling(Monday).

Thanks for the great write up Frank. Keep 'em coming. Good Luck

johnbasf
11-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey Frank, got any pics of the pile of wire????

FCorkran
11-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey Frank, got any pics of the pile of wire????

No, but maybe I can get Christian to take some next week. He said he was going to borrow his work camera to take some more pics of his car. The harness pretty much filled a box that the Hedman longtube headers came in. Haven't weighed it but I'd guestimate 35 lbs. without the modules/ECM/cluster. They sure use some nice connectors these days!

beerkat
11-27-2004, 10:21 AM
It nice to know John that your car is getting a second chance at life. I know Frank wil get the most out of it and abuse it properly.:rotf:

I was there the day the car broke and saw the look on John face. Breaking on the first event of the season, after being rookie of the year, had to be very hard.

Keep hoping to see John back on track, even if only at a HPDE with SCMC.:thumbsup:

I have a thought, that's scary, John how about being my instuctor at the CMP event in March? I have never driven my Cobra for a HPDE and I bet I could learn a lot from you.:bounce: I have sixpoint harnesses in the car so it might not be too bad to ride with me.:D

svt_coupe
11-29-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm all for the book... err... I mean... harness burning party.

johnbasf
11-29-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm all for the book... err... I mean... harness burning party.

PATS was without a doubt a HUGE PITA!!!!!! :mad:

svt_coupe
11-29-2004, 12:30 PM
PATS was without a doubt a HUGE PITA!!!!!! :mad:

Pats REMAINS a huge PITA! :D

FCorkran
12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Here are pics of the wiring and components I removed. This is apparently the bare minimum to run the car. John already removed PW/PDL, CC, WW/W, etc.

http://tinypic.com/u0xnb (http://tinypic.com/u0xnb)

http://tinypic.com/u0z83

Anybody know what the big box in the upper left of the 2nd image is? It was in the left fender and weighs a couple pounds.

johnbasf
12-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Wow!!!! If that piece was in the passenger fender that's part of the ignition. CCRM-- Constant Control Relay Module http://tinypic.com/u0z83 This pic?

Thanks a ton for the updates Frank.

FCorkran
12-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that pic. The box that's still attached by a large blue connector. What's a Constant Control Relay Module do? Seems like a lot of wires for just ignition.

johnbasf
12-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, that pic. The box that's still attached by a large blue connector. What's a Constant Control Relay Module do? Seems like a lot of wires for just ignition.

It's tied into the engine and sends signals to the computer.IIRC

Just one big pain in the butt like the rest of that mess.

If you don't sell the PATS and cluster I REALLY want to take a 8lb sledgehammer to it. :mad: :D

Constant Control Relay Module

The constant control relay module (CCRM) interfaces with the Electronic EC system to provide vehicle power (VPWR) to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the Electronic EC system, and for the control of the cooling fan and A/C clutch. The CCRM also contains the fuel pump driver module (FPDM) power supply relay, which supplies power to the FPDM. If any of the internal components of the CCRM fail, the entire unit must be replaced. The descriptions of the specific CCRM functions, as well as the Dual Function A/C high pressure switch are found under the individual hardware - PCM inputs and outputs in this section.

FCorkran
12-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Yuk! If I use the electric pump it will be powered from a fused switch tied to battery power. Same for the fan. Maybe I'll put the crash cutoff switch back in the FP circuit, it's pretty light and much smaller than the old ones.

johnbasf
01-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Any updates Frank??? :D

FCorkran
01-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Not really. The motor/tranny is almost ready to yank out of the '83. From preliminary measurements it should be no problem building a set of mounts to mate the Windsor to the K-member. All of the electrical parts arrived (switch panels, wiring, etc) and I mocked up the panel for the switches. My new seat is supposed to ship next week.

Most of the automotive work I got done this week was on Christian's '66. It sure felt good when we pushed it out of the garage, primed the carb and it lit off instantly. After the cam break-in run he rolled it down the hill, turned it around and launched it back into the garage. The car is officially built, now it just needs tuning and chassis setup. Oh, and it weighed in over 300 lbs lighter than we expected. Good thing he's running steel wheels, hood, etc. and left in the glass door windows!

InfamousSVT
01-05-2005, 03:22 AM
So just out of curiousity. John's car that blew up is getting rebuilt?:)

johnbasf
01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
So just out of curiousity. John's car that blew up is getting rebuilt?:)

Yes. :thumbsup:

Mystic_Cobra
01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Maybe I missed it, but how about some details regarding the new powertrain.
I gotta know what I'm up against in the future. :D

johnbasf
01-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I know it will be a 351 based engine Jimmy.

InfamousSVT
01-05-2005, 11:16 PM
So John, how long until it's finished? How far along are you?

johnbasf
01-05-2005, 11:24 PM
So John, how long until it's finished? How far along are you?

It's Frank's car now. He has it up in PA.

InfamousSVT
01-05-2005, 11:27 PM
It's Frank's car now. He has it up in PA.
Oh, so you won't be getting it back I guess huh?

FCorkran
01-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Oh, so you won't be getting it back I guess huh?
Not any time soon, anyway.:)

Of course, you never know what might happen in the future.

Maybe I missed it, but how about some details regarding the new powertrain.
I gotta know what I'm up against in the future. :D
The drivetrain is from my '83 GT street car. Stock 358W crank/rods with custom Wiseco pistons, AFR 185 heads, 9.5:1 CR, mild Comp Xtreme Energy cam, 1.7 RRs, Fox shorty headers, Stealth intake, 750 E-bok carb, etc. The tranny is a 3550 Tremec with a .68 OD so I'll be putting the stock 3.27 gears back in. For now I'm keeping the shorty headers until I see if there's any chance of de-tuning this combo under the AI power and torque limits. I originally built the motor with throttle response, a 6k rev limit and long term reliability in mind. If I'm way over I'll just run AIX - just showing up at Summit Point might be good for a win in AIX based on past attendance.

Every time I read about dyno numbers from similar motors I worry it will be hard to get below both the torque and hp numbers, at least with the AFR heads. Of course, I could always put the stock heads back on.:doubt:

FCorkran
01-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Update: the 351W is sitting in the car. Right now it's just resting on pieces of 1" tube between the Mod mounts on the K-member and the mount brackets bolted to the motor (w/o mounts). There's a jack stand under the pan sump but with no carb or flywheel the motor is almost perfectly balanced at the mounts. Last weekend's snowstorm kept me away from the car so didn't get a chance to fab new mounts. Naturally, the angle of the mod motor k-member pads is different than the Windsor mounts.

While jacking the car to drop the motor in the jack slipped out from under the K-member while we were reaching under to place the stands. The car dropped until the rack landed on the jack saddle. Now there's a thin black line around the rack housing. :( I'll be adding an AGR rack to my next Summit order. Cheaper than the likely alternative - a trip to the ER.

The new seat, switch panels, wiring harness, etc. are at the car waiting to be installed. The Kirkey Intermediate RR seat is a perfect fit on me. Since John's OMP Extra seat has only one season left before the FIA rating expires I guess I'll use it as the passenger seat instead of selling it. Nearly all of my students should be able to squeeze into it. :D

johnbasf
01-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Frank, OMP told me that "1999" means it was the date the seat was rated. The FIA rating on that seat is good for life. There is no 5 year deal on that seat. :ttiwwop:

FCorkran
01-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Frank, OMP told me that "1999" means it was the date the seat was rated. The FIA rating on that seat is good for life. There is no 5 year deal on that seat.There is a month and date of manufacture on the seat (3/01), FIA seats are good for 5 years. Section 15.6.22 of the NASA CCR, Seat Back Suport:

"... Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 set of regulations. This includes a mandatory seat replacement of any seat more than five (5) years old. Please reference the FIA regulations."

Of course, that only matters if the seat is used w/o a brace. I just figure I wouldn't get much selling an FIA seat that only has one year left. Might as well keep it since I'd have to buy something else for passengers anyway.

:ttiwwop:I don't have a digital camera. Christian said he'd borrow one from work and send me a pic, but that's obviously not at the top of his priority list.
OK, no more updates, you can get a ride when it makes it to the track.

johnbasf
01-28-2005, 02:18 PM
I gave all the info to NASA that OMP gave me. I never heard back from NASA on this issue. The OMP seat you have is steel. I really don't think it would fatigue after 5 years. Oh well. I'm not arguing with you just giving a little backround.

FCorkran
06-20-2007, 05:53 PM
It's been a long time, but here's an update for those who may be wondering what ever became of John's old Mystic. Last night after completing fabrication of the exhaust system and mounts for the circle track radiator, I connected the new battery cable to the new Orbital battery (sitting in it's newly fabricated mounting cradle/box) and tested all the switches in the newly fabricated instrument/switch panel. Everything worked (once I put fuses into the panel mounted on the tunnel under the dash), no smoke. Hit the starter button before connecting the MSD distributor and spun the motor while cranking the wheel back and forth to bleed the new PS system. I think that battery would start my Cummins on a sub-sero night.

Put 7 gallons of fuel into the 2000 CobraR cell, filled the bowls on the Barry Grant Race Demon carb, connected one of the pickups on the dizzy, 2 quick pumps of the gas pedal and hit the starter button once more. At midnight the 351W lit off instantly and, once the 1/2" fuel lines connected to the mechanical pump filled, quickly settled into a nice 800 rpm idle. The #42 AI Mystic Cobra lives again.

Sorry, no time or camera for pics. Come to HyperFest at Summit Point this weekend and see it for yourself. Still a couple items to take care of, like bleeding the air from replacing the Hydroboost with a Fox vacuum booster/'93 Cobra MC, but I intend to drive(!) it into the trailer tonight. Fri-Sun will be a shakedown run, then I'll add the few items required to get the annual inspection done at VIR end of July. I definitely want to roll it across the scales this weekend - I have a hunch it will be lighter now than when John raced it, despite the 351W/Tremec.

Mystic_Cobra
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Great news. I'll be racing with American Iron this weekend. See you at the track!

event info:
http://nasaracing.net/HyperFest07/event.htm
http://www.hyper-fest.com/

FCorkran
06-25-2007, 05:56 PM
#42 not only lives, it runs pretty good. Lokar throttle cable mount broke off, but did a track fix with racer tape. No leaks, good fluid temps. Driving it easy on the Toyos that John pulled from the trash pile in '04 so the car would roll (and #70 practiced on all week at Nationals last year), I managed consistent low-mid 1:27's braking super early/easy. The old, thin pads that came on the car didn't wear at all. Best time was a 1:26 on Sunday. By then the blue haze had worn off the tires and I couldn't get the rear to slip even on cold tires. I think I was running way too much tire pressure as well. Sure was fun running down all the C5's and C6's in the instructor group. :D

Thank goodness for massive rotational inertia and a soft clutch (351W w/steel flywheel & KC clutch). Short-shifting to 5th on Sunday I hit 3rd instead. Zing! :eek: The throws on the Tremec Pro5.0 are practically nonexistent. Did 2 more laps, everything felt OK. Hit the recall button on the tach as soon as I stopped: 6500 rpm. :cool: Talk about relief.

johnbasf
06-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Sounds great Frank. Sounds like you ditched the ABS?? I'll be on track this Saturday!!! :D

FCorkran
07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I kept the ABS, but I haven't wired in the sensors yet. Way down on the list of priorities. I included a switch to turn the ABS on/off. My main reason for keeping it is to avoid destroying tires in the wet. Besides, I might just need that weight. :D

I saw your post after VIR, sounds like you had a blast. Once a (recovering?) trackaholic, always a trackaholic. Yeah, the brakes are phenomenal. I only used them really hard once (and I don't think I was right at the limit) because the wheel vibrated like crazy due to a sloppy steering u-joint, but I'm going to enjoy them. Then again, the few pad prices for the Brembo calipers I've seen advertised online were downright scary. How many races did you get out of a set of the Cobalt VR's?

johnbasf
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I kept the ABS, but I haven't wired in the sensors yet. Way down on the list of priorities. I included a switch to turn the ABS on/off. My main reason for keeping it is to avoid destroying tires in the wet. Besides, I might just need that weight. :D

I saw your post after VIR, sounds like you had a blast. Once a (recovering?) trackaholic, always a trackaholic. Yeah, the brakes are phenomenal. I only used them really hard once (and I don't think I was right at the limit) because the wheel vibrated like crazy due to a sloppy steering u-joint, but I'm going to enjoy them. Then again, the few pad prices for the Brembo calipers I've seen advertised online were downright scary. How many races did you get out of a set of the Cobalt VR's?

3-4 weekends Frank. Cobalt may still be giving an AI discount.

FCorkran
07-31-2007, 11:51 PM
One last update for you, John. Car is now #2 (pealed off the '4' part of the numbers) because they moved H1 into Thunder and a guy there had run #42 last year. #2 (actually, X2) has been my number since my first NASA event in '01.

Well, those tires you pulled from the trash pile in '04 to roll the car onto the trailer (and the worn pads that were on the car) are now officially toast. I let Christian run them all week during Nationals last year so he could save his tires for the "big race". So he wasn't dead last in class at least. After the shakedown at Summit I flipped one that could still benefit from it and had them balanced. The one that took 4 oz inner and 2.5 oz outer was probably the cause of my high speed vibration at Summit. But I did tweak the TA to within 1*.

2.5 hours in the Super Comp school on Friday. 30+ minute final race I cruised along in 3rd place with empty mirrors after waiting for the Ferrari 360 Challenge car to finally get his butt moving on the standing start. Didn't see any need to pass him, since I knew nobody else could get close and I wasn't about to hold off the Ferrari and the GTS4 Porsche GACup for over half an hour. An instructor tried to catch up in the middle, but I wasn't having any of that. He finally gave up and went away, and I went back to cruising. Towards the end I started noticing plumes of tire smoke at each hard braking zone. Has to be the Porsche, he's been doing that all day. Pick it up a little, who knows. Hmmm, plumes are getting bigger, maybe push a little harder. Finally, the white flag! Wow, look at that column of tire smoke hanging above T1. Maybe if I hadn't cruised so much... Hey now, what's that cloud of dust rising above T2? Better lay the whip to her, just in case. Took the Porsche on the inside rumble strips in the flag station left-hander after T7. Hot damn, got 2nd place on the last lap. Nothing he could do, he corded a tire from all the brake lockup. Thank you sir, I'll take it.

Got a dyno sheet on Saturday from the Wounded Soldier charity dyno (what an amazing contraption). 321 hp, 356 tq on the first cold pull, completely untuned. At least my A/F ratio would keep the motor from melting down, as long as I stayed away from the rev limiter. My total WAG for those numbers was 340hp/360tq. I must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express around that time.

Official weight with me in shorts/T-shirt and 5 gallons of fuel (I ran it dry on the last lap of practice - when it sputters, it's dry) was 3175 lbs. So without me the car weighed 3000 lbs. I had WAG'ed 3200 race weight. Just need to have 9 gallons of fuel left at the end to make my official minimum weight of 3201. I added 12 gallons before the race just to be sure, which indicated 3/4 tank on the fuel gauge. About right for 17 gallons in a 22 gallon cell. Reads empty with more than 5 gallons left though. Better than the other way around.

Qualified 33rd among the standing starters for Saturday's race with a 1:47.7. First spot NOT under the canopy. That can't happen again. Best race lap 1:43-something, 2 seconds off the leader (Beau). Finished 3rd with 2nd in sight, but I didn't realize that the lightweight Fairmont wagon with the 347 and no dyno sheet from the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge in front of me at the end was running AI. Hell, my only goal was to finish the race, so whatever.

I spent most of it tucked under the rear bumper of Nelson's '65 AIX Mustang, until I shifted to 5th gear at Start/Finish and he pulled away. Then I'd tuck back in after T2 and wait for him to muscle the traffic out of the way. I did get beside him once just as I shifted after I finally dropped back *enough* entering HogPen so I didn't have to wait for him there and could draft up on him with some speed, but that was clearly a wasted exercise. .68OD is better than .63, and I was right in the fat 350+ tq range, but tq x gearing (hp) is what counts, not "flywheel tq minus driveline losses", which is what pops out on the dyno printout. Stupid max tq rule shows a complete lack of engineering savvy on the part of the rule makers to allow that rule just to satisfy ignorant crybabies. Oh well, it is what it is. No fair building an equally fast, low rpm, heavy but *reliable* motor on the cheap when others are spending fortunes building lightweight high rpm time bombs I guess, boo hoo.

Best part of course was the big smooch from Bobby Elam when I went to claim my 3rd place trophy. :D

My favorite part of the day was taking Mr. "I'm allowed one blocking move" in RollerCoaster in Sunday practice with Beau right behind me. Choose wisely, Sir. Just to be fair, I'll also make only one move. :p

Qualified 20th for the standing start on Sunday with a 1:45.xx in horrible traffic (60 cars in Thunder). Under the awning with my competition for 2nd place (Jimmy Bost - the Fairmont went home) beside me and a bag of ice inside my suit. Jimmy out qualified me by about .0x seconds. He didn't go through the dirt on the outside of T1 this time so he came out of T2 just in front of me. Then 2 cars touched in front of him and spun, so we dove between them. Nothing in my mirror exiting T3. Folks had stopped, creating the expected bumpfest behind. Results are still being reviewed. I found this out later. I didn't have time to put 2 and 2 together during the race when I went by 3 wreckers exiting the pits nose-tail a lap or two later. Cars parked off the track here and there, but so what else is new? I eventually got the spacing right to get a run out of HogPen so I could draft up and beside the former Mystic Cobra (the bumper cover is all that's left of his original Mystic I guess) in P2, then hold position after shifting to 5th. He stayed one car width inside, so I went up the outside. After a couple laps of this I got slightly ahead, then slowed early and pulled a switchback to take 2nd exiting T2. Unfortunately, I saw Kent Lydic just ahead, got excited and greedy, locked the brakes and went around the outside of T3 in the grass instead of entering easy to cement the pass before going after Kent. Rookie mistake, but darn it I know better.:o

Drove the wheels off slowly catching back up. Tried to stay out of a couple CMC battles in the process and was about ready to start another run on Jimmy, but eventually the tires and brakes were fried and I ended up taking the dirt line around T1 late in the race. I tried to catch up again but ended up just followed Brian Smith around in Mike Morris' Rent-A-Racer for a few laps to take 3rd place. Another dissatisfied Mod Motor victim there I gather - I sold him the Mystic's ECU during his troubleshooting attempts. Curious to see my lap times from Sunday's race.

Two podium finishes in 2 races, not a bad shakedown. New tires, pads and rotors for Summit, plus a coolsuit, fix all 20 F-ing loose wheel studs, wire ABS sensors (looks like the RF ring and sensor tried to occupy the same space), order rain tires, add passenger seat and re-install Accusump, adjust idle mixture on carb, etc., etc. Probably hold off on a dyno tuning session until after Summit, may need to add ballast after that.

So John, the old pony is chomping at the bit and quite happy to be free of it's electronic reigns. How's the big screen TV? :D

Bryan: I was there, where were you? Thanks for not coming to knock me off the podium.:)

johnbasf
08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
So John, the old pony is chomping at the bit and quite happy to be free of it's electronic reigns. How's the big screen TV? :D

.:)

:rotf: Great write up Frank. The "big screen" is doing great also and I don't need a cool suit to watch it. :thumbsup:

FCorkran
08-07-2007, 02:20 PM
The event pics are up at www.euroimage.us (http://www.euroimage.us) and the Sunday Thunder race results are finally posted on the MA site.

My coolsuit is on it's way! Hey, I can use the extra ballast anyway. If I keep losing weight from the heat I'll get DQ'd! :)

Oh yeah, thanks again for the car! :thumbsup:

johnbasf
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the track record(CMP) for AI Frank. :thumbsup:

FCorkran
05-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks, John. I'm surprised you noticed. I didn't, until Beau came by later and pointed it out.

I'm starting to get the handling balance closer to the way I like it. Just might be able to worry Beau a little at HyperFest. Oh, and I finally got the ABS wired up for CMP (the day before) but the light stayed on with the engine running so I didn't even try using it. Probably need to route the power/brake wires farther away from the MSD. You might also find it interesting that I'm still using the pads you included with the car. And I sold the newish set of fronts to a guy in an '04 Cobra one Sunday. He took them down to metal in one day of HPDE!

With Beau's troubles this year it looks like we might have a 3-way battle for the championship shaping up. With his 3 wins (and 3 remaining drops) Jimmy looks to be in the best position to pull it off. The video I saw of him going through the kink at CMP has me thinking maybe it's time I did something with that piece of plastic you had started shaping into a splitter.

Hope to see you at the track,

johnbasf
05-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Beau is the one that told me. You going to the nationals this year?

FCorkran
05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
No. Too much money, too much vacation at the end of my fiscal year, too little desire. I drove up last year on Friday to hang out for the weekend with the MA AI crew, see what they've done with the track in the last 21 years and decide if I might want to try to go this year. I enjoyed meeting a lot of the folks from other regions and I love driving that track but all things considered, the cost vs. benefit just isn't even close for me right now.

cobrabitn
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Frank,

it would be good to see the Mystic at one of our events this year/next year.

Tony

FCorkran
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Frank,

it would be good to see the Mystic at one of our events this year/next year.

TonyI've considered it but the schedule hasn't worked out so far. Maybe next year at the VIR event. CMP is just too far for me. I finally went this year with NASA only because not going would have put me out of the championship hunt. 12 hours down, 15 back after racing on Sunday. I liked the track a lot more than I thought I would though.

Maybe I'll get to meet more of you guys one day. Until then I'll try to make sure this old Cobra just keeps going faster. :)