PDA

View Full Version : supercharger question

john_anch_ak
11-27-2004, 01:51 AM
I see factory original superchargers from late model cobras on ebay now and then. Has anyone installed one from say a 2003 on a 1999 SVT? Is it worth the effort? Thanks, John

smashedheadcat
11-27-2004, 07:43 PM
It can be done, but it is not at all cost effective. There are tons of little things that need to be purchased to make this work. (intercooler, pump, electronics etc.)

smashedheadcat
11-27-2004, 07:46 PM
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7145&highlight=supercharger

john_anch_ak
11-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks Josh, that's just what I needed to know. Thought it might be a little fun but it sounds like it would be pretty expensive too.
John

Butcher
11-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks Josh, that's just what I needed to know. Thought it might be a little fun but it sounds like it would be pretty expensive too.
John
Josh is correct, as well as the thread he posted. As far as cost, definitely, in the lower US. Especially you being in Alaska, your possibly looking at even more cost. Consider a kit, weather it Procharger, Novi, or whatever. Better gains, relatively same cost, again, relative, and what your trying to achieve. :D

Jimmie

ausie
12-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Hey Butcher, I like your avitar that is cool!

As far as supercharging the 01, which I was down that road already but decided not to do it. It may be less of a hassle to supercharge a GT than an 01 Cobra. I have done alot of research on that subject but many manufacturer's fail to mention that 01 suffers from a head design flaw as did the early 03's. It seems that the floor of the intake ports were not designed properly as well as the coolant flow at the rear side of the head was pinched off causing the valves to heat up. I always thought the pinging came from bad fuel and or oil consumption through the PCV line. There were two articles in two different magazines that convinced me to trade in the 01 for an 04. Back in October, the 5.0 Mustang mag had an indepth article about all of the SVT heads which fully described the stregths and weaknesses. There were other articles that pertained to supercharging the 01 as well (reason I bought it in the first place). The final convincing came from my 01 as it began to ping once again. I went to the local SVT dealer, all I asked "convince me that trading in the 01 would cost less than installing a supercharger". Lets just say I went home with a new 04 SVT that day which just happend to be the last one on the lot. Just my opinion. If I had kept the 01, first thing to go would be the pistons, rods and heads. With just the 04 heads alone on an 01 with 10:1 compression will bring the HP up to 380Hp or higher considering the 04 when run naturally aspirated generates 370 with the 8.5:1 compression (muscle mustang and fast fords). The only thing different with the 04 heads as far as installing them is the square exhaust ports, so different headers will be required.

john_anch_ak
12-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll hold off on the supercharger for now, am ordering a MAF and Bassani X exhaust with cats from 50 Restomod as a starter. Now I'm in the process of sanding down the clear coat with 1500 grit wet/dry and once that's done I'll spray a few coats of the urethane clear coat for the model/year 1999. After I bought the pony car and started removing the crud that had built up I found some type of junk had eaten into the clear coat but fortunatly had not eaten into the paint. Since it's winter in AK I have plenty of time for this "little" project!

Everyone have a Merry Christmas!:)