PDA

View Full Version : cat back HP

ian white
11-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Iam going too install new cat backs in the spring. Just wondering if they are all basically the same in HP? I read that borla's are around 15, this seems high to me? Right now i have frpp ceramic headers and a bassini x pipe with cats, on my 97 vert.

tcrews
11-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Honestly on your '97 expect about ZERO gains in horsepower. The stock catback flows very well. '99 and above show gains as Ford went to a more restrictive design/muffler choice for some reason.

Swap your catback for sound improvements only....if you do achieve in power increase....well that would just be an unexpected bonus.

ian white
11-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Honestly on your '97 expect about ZERO gains in horsepower. The stock catback flows very well. '99 and above show gains as Ford went to a more restrictive design/muffler choice for some reason.

Swap your catback for sound improvements only....if you do achieve in power increase....well that would just be an unexpected bonus.
Thanks tom you just saved me some money. Iwill stay with my flowmasters and catbacks.They sound great with the x-pipe.Just looking for more HP, any ideas for 1k.I already have done the air induction ,exhaust and pullies, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

tcrews
12-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Gears ?? You could add a timing adjuster to bump your timing. Headers? you mention exhaust but do you have headers yet?

ian white
12-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Gears ?? You could add a timing adjuster to bump your timing. Headers? you mention exhaust but do you have headers yet?
TOM thanks for your reply , i have frpp ceramic headers & 373 gears,what is the timing adjuster?What about spending 2k for more power?

ian white
12-01-2004, 07:18 PM
TOM thanks for your reply,I have headers & 373 gears,tell me about the timing aduster? WHAT ABOUT SPENDING 2K INSTEAD OF 1K?THANKS AGAIN IAN

tnturbo
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
On my 96 I gained 0 hp from a catback swap verified by multiple dragstrip passes on the same day. Made 5 or 6 passes and then swapped a Magnaflow catback on made 9 or 10 additional passes and gained NOTHING in mph. When I swapped on a MAC offroad H pipe I gained a solid 1mph in the 1/8 when I swapped that for a Bassani offroad X I ganed an additional .5 mph in the 1/8. Same car same conditions. Like Tom said unless you want a different sound stick with the stock catback until you are making a lot more power than stock.

tcrews
12-01-2004, 09:35 PM
TOM thanks for your reply,I have headers & 373 gears,tell me about the timing aduster? WHAT ABOUT SPENDING 2K INSTEAD OF 1K?THANKS AGAIN IAN
you're kind of at the point where you'll need to spend 4K unless you want to go with nitrous. A good nitrous setup would be in the 1K range with all the little extras....

How about use the 1k-2k on bills? If you really want to spend it how about suspension/handling/braking mods??

Your power mods will be 1K for a good nitrous setup, 4K for a good supercharger setup, 4K+ for a good NA buildup (heads, cams, bigbore, etc..) and 6K for a turbo setup.

Timing adjuster just allows you to advance (or retard) timing. You can usually get away with 12 degrees, maybe 14 if you are lucky. It'll give you 8-12 rwhp and cost around $200.

ian white
12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
you're kind of at the point where you'll need to spend 4K unless you want to go with nitrous. A good nitrous setup would be in the 1K range with all the little extras....

How about use the 1k-2k on bills? If you really want to spend it how about suspension/handling/braking mods??

Your power mods will be 1K for a good nitrous setup, 4K for a good supercharger setup, 4K+ for a good NA buildup (heads, cams, bigbore, etc..) and 6K for a turbo setup.

Timing adjuster just allows you to advance (or retard) timing. You can usually get away with 12 degrees, maybe 14 if you are lucky. It'll give you 8-12 rwhp and cost around $200. Thanks again for great advise,I have done pretty well all the mods available.So maybe i will think about cobra r wheels they look great! This is a great site, for honest advise. I guess some of us ,should be worried about the new 05 GT! This isn't all bad ,because FORD, is going in the right direction!