PDA

View Full Version : Dynoed the 94 Cobra with new (to me) Supercharger

cobrapace94
12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
I purchased a used 9 lb Powerdyne supercharger. I know the Powerdynes are not the best SC out & don't make the most power, I know there limitations, so I won't be going over them & breaking the head unit (hopfully it will last a long time). I got the SC mainly for the Ohh factor, though now it is a bigger kick to drive it. I installed it & got it on a dyno for some timing & fuel pressure tuning. I'm happy with the results, I had 255 rwhp & 305 rwtq before the supercharger. After the install I got 344 rwhp & 347 rwtq with a safe (a little rich, but could not get the dip out of the air fuel ratio) tune. On the boost gauge we had hooked up we only saw 5 psi boost. The 1st dyno run it put out 314 rwhp with some detonation. 5 dyno pulls later no detonation & air fuel was safe. Here is a pic of the motor with supercharger:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/54/engine_sc.jpg

A pic of the dyno graph:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/54/dyno_graph_sc.jpg

Had the dyno done at Slaters Mustang in Houston.
I installed the supercharger myself in a few days afer work, took around 8 hours, not bad but Powerdynes instructions & pictures are not the best. All this on a 125k+ 94 Cobra motor with headers, Bassani X with cat, Flowmaster cat back.
I'm happy with the results & even more happy to be blown...
What do you think?

crutch95
12-04-2004, 01:31 PM
nice do you plane on doing more or is that all you are doing to it.

95Cobra
12-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Looks Sweet! Are you going to do any other things to upgrade the driveline? What's traction like with the Boost?

cobrapace94
12-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Right now I'm not going to do any more mods, need fundage $$$. If I can get some funds, I'd like to get a Pro M maf meter to work with the supercharger & a larger TB. I do have plans for upgraded rear end, 31 spline T lok, already have 3.73 gears. Will not change the King Cobra clutch till it goes out, then will probly be a Spec stage 2.
Traction is a major issure, especailly when messing around and have the foot to the floor through 3 gears, spinning through all 3 gears... I can break loose in 3rd at will.
Thanks

95Cobra
12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
You should think about some subs and control arms..they really helped me! Right now I dyoned @ 288rwhp and 322rwtq. Traction is pretty good with my nitto drags. I just ordered a TKO-600, and a motorsport p/p and a macloud dual friction disk. Also, doing a eaton and 31 spline strange axles. All this because Like you I'm going supercharged! I'm leaning towards a Procharger,was thinking about a K/bell,but I want a intercooler,safer on the engine. I should get somewhere around 150+Hp with the 11psi procharger. Then I'll be in the same boat as you; in need of better traction. I can adust my uppers for a better hook.was also thinking about some ET streets.
What are you thinking of doing for more traction? Yes you do need a bigger mass/air and T/body.

cobrapace94
12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
I already have some sub frame connectors & MM lower control arms, stock uppers. I do have a set of ET streets for the track, but don't launch over 3.5k rpms due to the stock axles. When I was spinning through 3rd, I was messing around with the foot on the floor. When the Sumitomo 315's wear out, I'll get some Nitto DR.
I have a Pro M 77 maf meter that I cannot get installed with the powerdyne, so I'm thinking of selling it & getting another Pro M maf meter. Being blown now, I do need a larger tb, probly gonna get the FRPP 65 mm with sensors ( I don't care for the BBK or Edlebrock much, my opinion). I know the limitations of the Powerdyne. It only flows around 850 cfm to the 1000 cfm for the Vortec S trim & 1200 for the Novi 2000. I will not change the pulley to a smaller one, the 9 lb pulley is fine as I don't want to over spin the powerdyne with the internal belt drive on it won't take it. I won't get a larger supercharger till I get a better, forged new engine, I already have a block for later rebuild & store the stock block. You should be able to get 150 more hp with the Procharger & pullied for 11lbs (probly see 9lbs). I was only seeing 5 lbs on the dyno with the 9 lb pulley.

95Cobra
12-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey Cobra pace
I know what you mean about the BBK t/body, when I bought my t/body back a few years back the fms t/b was on BO. On the other hand if your looking, I will be selling it to go with a 75mm t/b. Let me know if you want it.
How do you like your ET street's?? I know what you mean about not going too big on PSI with a st block...the way I'm thinking with my H/C/I combo, I should be good on a safe dyno tune with the Procharger.

cobrapace94
12-09-2004, 02:03 AM
What TB are you selling? The FRPP or Edelbrock\BBK?
The ET streets have soo much grip. Before the sc I could launch at 3500 rpms and the car would bog. Since I have stock axles, I didn't want to launch too much higher in the rpms.
With h\c\i & a supercharger you should get close to 400 - 450 rwhp for sure.

95Cobra
12-12-2004, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=cobrapace94]What TB are you selling? The FRPP or Edelbrock\BBK?
Selling the BBK,won't be for a while..just spent a ton on the TKO-600 and the rear end upgrade.

Butcher
12-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Right now I'm not going to do any more mods, need fundage $$$. If I can get some funds, I'd like to get a Pro M maf meter to work with the supercharger & a larger TB. I do have plans for upgraded rear end, 31 spline T lok, already have 3.73 gears. Will not change the King Cobra clutch till it goes out, then will probly be a Spec stage 2.
Traction is a major issure, especailly when messing around and have the foot to the floor through 3 gears, spinning through all 3 gears... I can break loose in 3rd at will.
Thanks
Heh..I know the feeling. I toss the tires through 4th gear with the IRS and street tires, crap times in the quarter.

Jimmie