PDA

View Full Version : What is the '99 recall issue? New member.

Zedoc
12-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Yes:bounce: hello, y'all:bounce: this is my first Mustang CObra post:bounce: Hooray!:bounce:

I haven't got one yet, but probably will soon. Truth is, two got sold out from under me. Very low milage, a '99 with 12,500 mi. for $15,900 and a '98 with 8000 mi. for $13,000. ($15,000 is about my limit and $13,000 is more like it.)
So, I'm a little SORE! They were there when I first called up and then got sold to out of towners before I was ready to act. Sometimes, you just got to step up to the plate. You've just got to commit. You've just got to take a stand. You've just got to, to, to ...

Well, this is what I really want to know. WHat is the recall issue with the '99 CObras? I've heard different things regarding a performance issue recall. Someone said if the car was made after August 2nd, it didn't need it. Is that true?

What is the whole story about this.

I like the '99s because of the independent rear suspension.

I like the hood on the '96 through '98 though.

Can anyone tell me all about the recall issue, including if it makes a difference or are the '99s just going to be a little down on horsepower?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to my new used Cobra.

:bounce:

cobrabitn
12-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Zedoc,

The 99 Cobras had lower then advertised horsepower when they first came out, so Ford came out with a "fix" for the car. The fix consisted of:

1. Extrude honed intake
2. Different exhaust
3. Reflash of stock computer

By doing all of this, it brought the cars back to where they were supposed to be horsepower wise, 270 -275 rwhp.

rpalmer
12-11-2004, 11:05 AM
I don't imagine there's too many '99s still out there that haven't had the fix.

Here's some info on what was entailed with the fix and how to determine if a '99 has had it (blue dot/green dot manifold):

http://www.shane.roberts.net/techman1.htm
Shane has a bunch of very good techical info on his site:

http://www.shane.roberts.net/cobra.htm
including shots of pre-fix and post-fix intake manifolds, both the extrude-honed ones and the acid dipped ones.

I believe you can also check with Ford to see if a car's had the fix or not.

-RP