PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use HID's?

Tman
12-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi! My question is-has anyone used or still use HID's on the car and if yes whats the kit you are using? Im thinking of either getting HID's or a good bulb replacement for both headlights and fog lights as well.
In my experience with HID's I think they are well worth it since it increases the visibility by a lot, actually I never had to use fog lights again once I put the HID's on. Does anyone have pics how they would look on our cars?
Thanks for any input guys!!

crunchit
12-09-2004, 05:57 PM
There was a post a few months back discussing this. I just went to look for it, but it must have been removed. The jist of it from what I remember is that there was some slight modification involved. I do remember that one of the guys made it work, though.

I'd be interested as well.

cobracrazy
12-09-2004, 06:10 PM
As I recall this discusion got a bit heated.

Everyone has thier likes and dislikes. I like the look of HID but I used the super white versions of the bulbs and they look great. MUCH cheaper than HID.

Anyway here is the link...
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7354
I did have to modify the fog lamp/driving lamp bulbs but waht a difference.

InfamousSVT
12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Me personally would just get the hyper-white bulbs and then use my other money for more performance parts! Yeah it looks good, but is it really worth the money? I guess everyone has their own preference so if it suites you go for it!:thumbsup:

Just my .02!

Tman
12-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

GUMBALL
12-10-2004, 10:18 AM
I would say that the deciding factor would be "how much do you drive on very dark roads"..?
The HID are much better lights, but if you spend most of your mileage on lighted streets, then the dollar value is questionable.

Tman
12-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Most of my driving would be on the highway and about 50/50 at night but now Im pretty much leaning towards just getting better bulbs for fogs and low beams after hearing some comments.
Thanks!!

cobracrazy
12-10-2004, 11:26 AM
The Super White versions are a remarkable improvement. I would save the extra money for performance upgrades. Go out and replace the headlamps first to see the improvement. If you are not satisfied you can then get the HID. My bet is you will be more than happy.

:thumbsup:

Tman
12-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Which brand are you using? Im thinking Silverstars or PIAA although those are usually pretty expensive and dont last too long.:(
But you are right the money saved I could really use to mod the car performance wise!:)

cobracrazy
12-10-2004, 11:37 AM
I used SilverStar....

crunchit
12-10-2004, 03:45 PM
cobracrazy~do you remember the part number for the 03cobra? I looked it up at autobarn and there are several. I can't find the fog light replacements, though.

http://www.autobarn.com/parts_lookup.htm

thanks,

~steve

cobracrazy
12-10-2004, 07:42 PM
The fog lights (part number 9145) do not have a "Super White" replacement.
Well... at least I never could find one. Here is what I did...

The original bulb, 9145, is a 42Watt bulb. I started with a "Super White" 9006 bulb and modified it to fit the same hole with a careful hand and a trusty file. It took a while and you need to modify the bulb where the harness attaches but it will work.

Remember that if you do this you will need to be sure you use the 55Watt version of the 9006 bulb. I saw packages for the 9006 that said they were 65Watts. I am happy with my mod and have had no fires as a result. (LOL)

Next time I will use a lathe for a better fit.

The lights look great!!!

Tman
12-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanks a lot!!

crunchit
12-12-2004, 06:25 PM
thanks dude!:bounce:

crunchit
12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Popped the 9005 superwhites in my fog lamps today. they look unbelievable! Only 14 bucks each, and took only 5 minutes to install.:thumbsup:

cobracrazy
12-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Did the 9005 pop in with no mods needed?

I spent all that time handcrafting a modified 9006 and all I really needed was the 9005!!!!

Oh well... I had fun doing it. :o

crunchit
12-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I kept that in mind when shopping. I looked at the 9006 and can imagine the work you had to do. Just got lucky, I guess. :rolleyes: I'm gonna change the head lamps this thursday.

jjraiser
12-15-2004, 07:08 AM
I put in the the Sylvania Silverstar headlamp bulbs a month ago. Very, very nice. However, it only highlighted the lame OEM foglamp bulbs. So, as everyone has now seen in this discussion, the Sylvania 9005 bulb is the replacement for the SVT fog lamps (not the damn 899 as the catalog shows). I just put in the 9005 ST (Silverstar) bulb in the fog lights and yes, they are feaking nice. To upgrad the two headlights and two fog lights will run you $100 for the Silverstar bulbs. For a $35K car, it's a must in my opinion. They really have that German import glow to them and really work much better. If you're into the details, this is one great and easy upgrade. :thumbsup: