PDA

View Full Version : Which Throttle Body?

KCCobra03
12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I am wanting to do some more bolt ons, so which throttle body has been best? I read on "Aptens" web site that it really isn't necessary unless you are over 500HP. Any Dyno proof out there? I was favoring the Accufab. What do ya think? Is this a good place to spend my $? I am thinking of trying 3.90 gears.:thumbsup:

'03 Cobra
Magnaflow catback
WMS Cold Air
Hypertech III Programmer
MGW Shifter
Don't want to risk the warranty thing.

InfamousSVT
12-17-2004, 08:26 PM
If I were you I'd go with the Accufab, I've heard that you will get more Torque gains from this but small horse power gains (10-15hp)! Much better throttle response though, different opinions throughout, but a good investment! Since you are running a 03 Cobra, on the board here most people go with the 4.10 gears! The combination of the two should make for a good end result.:thumbsup:
Good luck!

mus302
12-18-2004, 01:08 AM
In the tech section at Kenne Bell website they say 4 hp gain at 450hp, 8 hp gain at 500hp, and 10 hp gain at 550hp level measured at the rear wheels. In the November issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords they ran some tests on a Cobra crate engine. All power numbers were measured at the flywheel, not at the rear wheels. The mods that had been made were long tube headers and header extensions, FAST engine management system, and no accessory drives. It made 501 hp and 461 ft-lbs. of torque. Adding the Accufab TB and inlet made 7 more hp and 2 more ft-lbs. of torque. That was at stock boost levels, they said that at higher boost it created 10-15 additional hp.

Not much gain for the what it costs, but a friend that has that combo likes it and says that it made a big difference in throttle response.

KCCobra03
12-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the Replys! By the way InfamousSVT I'm jealous, you got the color I wanted. I didn't get much choice though mine had 3500 miles when I bought it. I may try the Accufab if any money left after Christmas. Thanks!

InfamousSVT
12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
By the way InfamousSVT I'm jealous, you got the color I wanted

Thanks, I've had many compliments about my car and it's color! I was at a gas station a couple weeks ago and a lady asked to take a picture of it! Got the SVTCOBRACLUB.COM stickers on the side windows to show support for the club.
I'm very pleased with the car!:thumbsup:

Butcher
12-20-2004, 01:34 AM
In the tech section at Kenne Bell website they say 4 hp gain at 450hp, 8 hp gain at 500hp, and 10 hp gain at 550hp level measured at the rear wheels. In the November issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords they ran some tests on a Cobra crate engine. All power numbers were measured at the flywheel, not at the rear wheels. The mods that had been made were long tube headers and header extensions, FAST engine management system, and no accessory drives. It made 501 hp and 461 ft-lbs. of torque. Adding the Accufab TB and inlet made 7 more hp and 2 more ft-lbs. of torque. That was at stock boost levels, they said that at higher boost it created 10-15 additional hp.

Not much gain for the what it costs, but a friend that has that combo likes it and says that it made a big difference in throttle response.
This is correct. :) It's all relative to how far you want to go. The Accufab cost more intially, but makes good horsepower all throughout your progress. Add a good set of worked heads and agressive cam grinds in addition to upgraded fuel rails and say 60 pound injectors to the mix. Look at minimum a 2.8 pulley, tensioner, if you can afford it. The accufab tb/plenum makes horsepower gains all through the cycle, or it has for me so far.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah...you just have to love Competition Orange, only 281 made in 04. They really stand out loudly waxed well....heh.

Jimmie

Mirage
12-20-2004, 09:41 AM
KCCobra03~ I've heard good things about the AccuFab, although I personally don't have one. What I can tell you is that I had nothing but problems with the BBK TB I purchased (here's the full story: http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5716&highlight=body). So much so that I sold it and went back to stock (for the time being). Their customer service was non-existent and their site's FAQ's leave something to be desired. After "jury-rigging" a stiffer return spring and also sanding down the internal valves my Cobra never really idled correctly. Miraculously once I put back the OEM TB all was right in the world again.

To summarize: BBK Throttle Body - :nono:

Big Daddy
12-20-2004, 10:45 AM
I am wanting to do some more bolt ons, so which throttle body has been best? I read on "Aptens" web site that it really isn't necessary unless you are over 500HP. Any Dyno proof out there? I was favoring the Accufab. What do ya think? Is this a good place to spend my $? I am thinking of trying 3.90 gears.:thumbsup:

'03 Cobra
Magnaflow catback
WMS Cold Air
Hypertech III Programmer
MGW Shifter
Don't want to risk the warranty thing.

I put an Accufab on my car and it gained me absolutely NOTHING! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Spend the money on gears, suspension, anything but a throttle body! :thumbsup:

Butcher
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I put an Accufab on my car and it gained me absolutely NOTHING! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Spend the money on gears, suspension, anything but a throttle body! :thumbsup:He's spent some duckies too. It didn't work for him. On my 04 it is making hp and tq across the band, and hasnt stopped yet. I'm happy with it. Again, you cant expect to just slap a throttlebody and plenum on just any old setup and expect it to produce 20+ horse. Every person has a different setup, and I can only comment on my own.

With the Accufab TB/PLN i would ballpark figure at this point I've added 30RWHP. Thats without a racetune, racegas. I havent tuned it properly with the SCT flipchip on the dyno, and thats still with the stock fuel rails and 60 pound Seimens injectors. Later 03 heads (generally marked with a bluefelttip from the factory) into 04 flow well. Makes a difference. Just upgraded the fuel rails with totally different lines(much larger) to the injectors. Kenne-Bell boost a pump on top of a twin set of Focus pumps, so I'm chomping at the bit to see the results.:D

At this point based on my reading Houstonperformance.com has the best headwork advertised without adding cams based on the latest 4V heads. But hey, if your going to to the expense of having a set of heads built, CAM the things, flow them properly from top to bottom. ;)

Again, as anyone can read, your mileage may, and generally will vary!:thumbsup:

Jimmie

MidLifeC
12-20-2004, 05:47 PM
You have forgotten the best Throttle Body for the Cobra: Billetflow. I have personally seen a before/after comparison on a 2.76 pullied/Apten ported Cobra. There were positive gains in HP, Torque, and throttle response through the entire RPM range.

Unlike the accufab, it is specifically designed for the 2003-2004 Cobra. Is it the best bang for the buck? No, but it delivers on a modded Cobra.

Throttle bodies will be back in production soon.

Butcher
12-21-2004, 03:47 AM
You have forgotten the best Throttle Body for the Cobra: Billetflow. I have personally seen a before/after comparison on a 2.76 pullied/Apten ported Cobra. There were positive gains in HP, Torque, and throttle response through the entire RPM range.
Unlike the accufab, it is specifically designed for the 2003-2004 Cobra. Is it the best bang for the buck? No, but it delivers on a modded Cobra.
I have to argue with you on the ACCUFAB tb/pln setup. It delivers fine horsepower all across the powerband, 1000 to 8000 RPM. At 5500RPM it is going to feel like your spraying it, but then it will flatten out as there is no headwork done. Nothing statistical To learn from; just trial and freaking error.

BilletFlow makes a nice tb/pln as well. No doubt.

AGAIN, you have to set these MOD motors up to flow, thats both in and out! :thumbsup:

Jimmie

Butcher
12-21-2004, 03:58 AM

For my setup, the ACCUFAB works flawless,

NewFoundPower
12-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Hey Greg, isn't it time to update your mods list? Don't forget to include your bling-bling :rotf: !

-D-

Big Daddy
12-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey Greg, isn't it time to update your mods list? Don't forget to include your bling-bling :rotf: !

-D-

SHHHH!!! I don't like to admit I put that bling-bling stuff on the car! ;) :D

Dave B.
12-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Accufab all the way, if you put a 2.80 pulley on, not only does a throttle body become extreamly important, but so does a 95Mm mass air, and some kind of after market air filter, the supercharger needs all the air you can get to it in order to prevent cavatation,

Putting on the accufab was hands down one of the most seat of the pants things I could have done,

and by the way,,,I would not change out any gears,,unless you are only racing the car on a track, and data shows for that type of racing you would gain from a gear change, the OEM gearing is best all around for the street with a supercharged engine.