PDA

View Full Version : Tire size and rim size ?

tazzracing1
12-31-2004, 05:55 PM
I need some help on the tire size and possible rim size if needed for a 97 Cobra.
I'm currently running the stock rim and tire need something that is going to get some traction just unsure of what size will fit. I have been told I may have to remove the quad shocks? Thank You for your inputs.
Larry

tazzracing1
01-01-2005, 01:31 AM
I need your advice PLEASE

Hazman
01-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Larry
What are you wanting to do with the car? Drag racing, autocross, open track, or just cruising. Stock rims are 17x8 and stock tires ae 245/45-17. On the stock rims you can go 255/45-17 on the front and 275/40-17 on the rear. This will fill the wheel wells up a little better and give you some more meat under the rear. If you go with different rims say Cobra Rs in a 17x9 then you can run larger tires but you may get into rubbing issues front and rear. Depends if you car is lowered or not. The quad shocks cannot just be removed but you can take them off and reverse the direction to get some more clearence.Reply as to what you are wanting to do and maybe we can be of more help. Also you can do a search of the forums on tires, rims, tire sizes or rim sizes and find a lot of information.

:thumbsup:

tazzracing1
01-01-2005, 03:26 PM
I would like to do a little autocross and mostly street driven. I want to get as much traction as possible. I have not lowered the car yet but I think I would like to do a 1" to 11/2" drop. I would like to also tell you Thank You for your time and help. How much room can I gain buy reversing the quad shocks?

smashedheadcat
01-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Going to a 17x9 inch wheel won't cause rubbing problems. You won't even need to flip the quad shock. I run 17x9's in front, and 17x10.5's in the rear. With a hammer, and a few minutes in the wheel well, they go right on without problems. :) For traction purposes, all I can tell you is, going with a wider tire won't help much. I'm dumb when it comes to the autocross stuff, so I can't help you out on tire selection.

Josh

tazzracing1
01-01-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm going to guess and say you had to roll the lip of the fender well? What size tires are you running? I do alot of street driving and want as much traction as possible when I step on it I don't like having it get to out of hand like it wants to do.

smashedheadcat
01-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I rolled the fenderwells a little. :) I flipped the quadshock, bent the e-brake cable brackets. I guess they will rub on the catback, so some adjusting may be required. I've got side exhaust, so no issues there. I run Nitto 315/35/17 drag radials on the rear. Trying a 275/40 17 (NITTO) drag radial on the rear will get you plenty of grip, but aren't as good as stock tires in the rain once they wear down some.

InfamousSVT
01-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Josh,

How did you roll the fenderwells, I need to do it on my 04 without cracking the paint and having it look like a sorry ass job?!

Abneriel
01-07-2005, 02:59 AM
I would like to do a little autocross and mostly street driven. I want to get as much traction as possible. I have not lowered the car yet but I think I would like to do a 1" to 11/2" drop. I would like to also tell you Thank You for your time and help. How much room can I gain buy reversing the quad shocks?
Nitto makes a nice autocross/road race tire that works nicely and isn't too much money...Has the same tread composition as their DRs but with a stiffer sidewall. Its their 555R Extreme II's I believe.

smashedheadcat
01-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Josh,

How did you roll the fenderwells, I need to do it on my 04 without cracking the paint and having it look like a sorry ass job?!

It's easy. I used a 5lb sledge hammer. Use the top of the sledge as the impact area of the hammer. Don't use the normal impact part of the head. If you use the top of the head, and lightly stike the area you need to roll, it won't even chip the undercoat. But if you do, just respray it. You can get cans of that stuff at Advance auto parts/autozone/napa etc. Easy to do.

Josh

InfamousSVT
01-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

98 Laser Red
01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Has anyone tried putting on the rear the 285/40/ZR17 Nitto 555 (extremes, not RIIs) on stock 17x8 98 cobra rims? If so, how do they run?

tcrews
01-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Has anyone tried putting on the rear the 285/40/ZR17 Nitto 555 (extremes, not RIIs) on stock 17x8 98 cobra rims? If so, how do they run?The 17x8" rim isn't big enough to use a tire that size. Improperly sizing a tire to rim creates less traction and possibly dangerous conditions.

The maximum size on a 17x8" rim would be 255/47/17. Yes you can put a 275 tire on but it's oversized for the rim and creates less surface contact area as well as opening the possibility of rolling the tire off the rim in hard cornering. A 285 tire would be even worse.

17x8" rims go no higher than 255, 17x9" 275 is the best choice though a 285 will fit (as well as a 315 Nitto DR tire).

A stock 245/57/17 tired car will have greater traction and cornering ability than a stock rim with a 285/40/17 tire. Plus if you could get the 285 on there it would look like crap as it would bulge out way too much (275" tires look bad on the stock rims).

bolt-on
01-20-2005, 11:20 PM
My 1997 Cobra is lowered about 1 ". 275/40/17 Nitto NT555RII tires on 17 x 9 Performance Wheel Outlet wheels work well on the track and are still useable on the street. At the track they will not have as much grip as a race only tire, but they last much longer. On the street 275's want to track with any irregularity in the pavement. There has been a slight rubbing issue on the left side only where the inside of the tire contacts the stock K member when the steering wheel is all the way to left lock. I am also replacing the right inner fender from tire rub that eventually caused the inner fender to crack. The tire rub only occured at Nashville Superspeedway. The transition between oval to infield road course is very rough there. Leaving the back straight to the infield the right front tire hit the the fender liner every lap!

VenomousSVT
01-25-2005, 11:06 PM
275's will do great on the rear... but dont do a 275 on the front as well..it will make your handling very poor.