PDA

View Full Version : exhaust x pipe ? other?

Cobra4me
01-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Anybody that hs changed their exhaust willing to give advise on changing out my exhaust. Is an Xpipe better for 01 than the straight pipes

Robk

InfamousSVT
01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Are you wanting it for sound or for hp?

H-pipe = big block sound
X-pipe = more exotic sound

You may see a little more horsepower from the X-pipe, but we're talking minimum hp gains. I've got a 04' Cobra, so I'm not sure about the 01's but I'm installing the complete Bassani system next week, from the headers back with X-pipe!:thumbsup:

I'd ask Firme, he has an 01' and has great knowledge about these cars!

smashedheadcat
01-06-2005, 09:26 AM
The gains will be very minimal between the X and H-pipes. X-pipes are designed to work with straight through mufflers (borla, bassani, magnaflow) whereas H's are for chambered mufflers (flowmaster, Mac). Don't forget the prochamber either, these work great with chambered and straight through design. I've got borla stingers and a mac prochamber. Your decision for what midpipe should not involve power. Sound, fit, finish, quality and price should aid in pointing you towards the midpipe of choice.

Josh

Lumpydogs
01-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I've got a natural aspirated '01 Cobra with Magnaflow mufflers, X-Pipe w/Cats and FRPP shorty headers. I don't have dyno numbers before and after the X-pipe install but I would guess the increase to be very small. I would bet money that the Highflow cats have more to do with increase power than the X-Pipe itself. I didn't notice too much of a sound difference. However I had the mufflers done before the X-Pipe. The X-Pipe significantly reduced the exhaust drone at 1800 to 2000 RPMs that is common to straight through mufflers.

The exhaust sound during idle is still pretty tame but has more gurggles???
(like air blowing under water). At heavy throttle the sound blast a heavy tune. I would say that my exhaust is more like the exotics than the glory days of big block muscle cars. My exhaust does not sound like a ricer!
I can use my throttle very lightly and drive through the subdivision at night
without disturbing the neighbors or I can drive throttle heavy and let
everyone around know that my Cobra is out hunting prey.

I really like my setup, but then again, everyone has different taste.

I have heard that a less restrictive exhaust will show more significant powere gains as you increase the engines power i.e. with a supercharger.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup: