PDA

View Full Version : H-Pipe or X-Pipe??

04SVT
01-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey all!

I currently have a Flowmaster American Thunder Series Cat Back and am wondering is there any performance differences between the X-pipe or H-pipe? I've spoken to several people and got varying answers. I like the deep throaty sound of the Flowmasters and been told not to go with a X-pipe because is has a different (Ferrari type) sound. Would adding a Bassani X-pipe really change the sound that much? http://www.tampabaysvtoa.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Is there a horsepower gain difference between the two? http://www.tampabaysvtoa.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

I live in Sumter County, FL and am the only person that owns a 03/04 Cobra. I really have nothing to compare mine to. Thanks in advance for any help or sugestions.

Rob

blk04cobra1
01-07-2005, 09:10 AM
An X-pipe does give your car a more "exotic" sound, but nothing high pitched...teh H-pipe w/out cats would give you a more throaty sound...our cars some stock with a H-pipe w/cats...im personally going with the Off-road (no cats) X-pipe from Bassani...good luck

NewFoundPower
01-07-2005, 09:18 AM
What you have heard is correct. The X-pipe tends to have a more exotic sound while the H-pipe gives you that typical throaty mustang sound. The hp difference between the two isn't enough to be noticed. For me, the decision was simple, I drive a cobra, not a european sports car, H-pipe all the way.

-D_

smashedheadcat
01-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Flowmasters are chambered, so you'll want an H-pipe. This gives a great tone. I personally like the way a prochamber mid pipe and flow's sound too. If you plan to use cats, any will work (X-H-Prochamber) well, and won't sound terrible. As far as power goes, gains between them are minimal (meaning, 1/2 hp here, lose 1/2 hp there). Not all X-pipes are created equal though. Dr. Gas X-pipes have tons of research into them. They have moved the "X" closer to the headers to give optimum scavenging over others. But still....... not much power over anything else (we're talking 2-3 HP over a magnaflow X MAYBE).

Davesnake
01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
MRT H-pipe here....I hate the sound of the X-pipes :thumbdwn: and like Josh said the power diff is not worth mentioning.

Dave

casey99COBRA
01-08-2005, 06:26 PM
MRT H-pipe here....I hate the sound of the X-pipes :thumbdwn: and like Josh said the power diff is not worth mentioning.

Davewhere did you purchase the mrt?

Davesnake
01-09-2005, 01:57 AM
where did you purchase the mrt?

from ninosport...nice guy good prices.

Dave