PDA

View Full Version : Do '99s suck?

Zedoc
01-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Assuming they've had the recall work done on the horsepower, are they really, really as strong or stronger than the '97/'98s?

Is the Independent Rear Suspension or traction control worth money or just a gimmick?

Let's face it, they don't have the cool hood scoops of the earlier generation and they don't have the dash mounted clock of the '97s. Can you change out the hood without it looking like merde?

'cause now I got a '99 coupe going, w/16K mi. @ $14,500.

:bounce:

97Cobra
01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Assuming they've had the recall work done on the horsepower, are they really, really as strong or stronger than the '97/'98s?

Is the Independent Rear Suspension or traction control worth money or just a gimmick?

Let's face it, they don't have the cool hood scoops of the earlier generation and they don't have the dash mounted clock of the '97s. Can you change out the hood without it looking like merde?

'cause now I got a '99 coupe going, w/16K mi. @ $14,500.

:bounce:
Hey Zedoc,

I would imagine you can get different hoods for it, aftermarket. I would highly doubt you could get the 97-98 hood to fit, though a version for the 99+ is probably out there. Also remember, that to do this will most likely cost you around $1000. So, I would add that to the price of the car (mentally of course) so you know what it will take to get what you want.

~Erik

PS Hurry up and get on already ... geeze ... just kidding ... :D

Zedoc
01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I probably wouldn't change out the hood, I like to keep it stock, but I do like the hood scoops. Hey, Erik, I like your color combination. If I had my choice, that's probably what I'd choose. I usually run into red ones. I am not a big fan of red. Mostly, I guess, because it's common.

What do you think of the '99 issues I mentioned?

cobrabitn
01-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Question 1) After the fix almost every 99 will put out more rwhp then a stock 96-98 on average about 5 hp

Question 2) It's really immaterial if it is worth more money, that's what comes with the car. The prices on the 99's are going down and now would be a good time to buy one. I wish I had sold my 94 and kept my 99. :(

Question 3) A 16K mile Cobra for $14, 500 is a pretty good deal. If you like the car, go with it. I sold my 25K mile 99 for $16,700.00

Comment: Don't sweat the hood as there are plenty of cool looking hoods out there, maybe you might want to put an 03 Cobra hood on it if you don't like the aftermarket ones. I'm sure you can find an 03 owner that changed his out and will sell you his original hood.

I would definitely do research on the car first. Get a carfax report, find out where the car was bought and get the dealership to print you out a work record since the car was bought. That will tell you alot about what you are buying.

HTH

nckissfan
01-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey, Erik, I like your color combination.

yeah, that is a good color combination:thumbsup:

Zedoc
01-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Question 1) that's what comes with the car. The prices on the 99's are going down and now would be a good time to buy one. I wish I had sold my 94 and kept my 99. :(

HTHCobrabitn - Is the independent rear suspensioin and traction control big plusses or not really significant? Are they a reason to get a '99 instead of a '97? Is the horse power a reason or not really noticable?
Why DID you sell your '99 (and keep the '94)?

flynfink
01-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I own a 99 and a 94. The ride difference is night and day. On an road that isn't smooth, the 99 rides better and is a much better handling car than the 94. The TC is useful on rainy days.

Zedoc
01-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks, that helps. Does a '99 have a tower brace like the '97? That's one of my favorite things.

nckissfan
01-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks, that helps. Does a '99 have a tower brace like the '97? That's one of my favorite things.
no, but that is a cheap upgrade

Firme
01-09-2005, 04:41 AM
A few things.

99, as long as they have "the Fix" should be no different than the 01's and be more powerful than the 96-98's. Also, I have seen plenty of 99's with full bolt-ons get to the top of the list as far as N/A 4v power.

Traction control is definitely NOT a gimmick. It will save you, especially in the rain. At times, you might find it annonying to turn it off if you are wanted the car to slide everywhere on purpose. One example is at the drag strip, if you forget to turn off traction control, and you take off, it might kick on and slow you down. So you just gotta remember to turn it of when you don't need it.

The IRS is NOT a gimmick, but its also got some shortcomings. I have one questions for you, WHAT DO YOU INTEND TO DO WITH THE CAR?
-Hard Core Drag Race - IRS is not for you, a solid axle Cobra (93-98) would be better for drag racing, although you could always slap one onto the cobra down the line
-Cruising, Regular driving - IRS is great, it handles great on the road, make the car more comfortable, and smoother.
-Corner Carving/Open tracking - IRS is great but if you gonna get hard core, it migh be wise to do a few upgrades like bushings on it. The handling is smooth with the IRS

As far as the hood. I totally agree with you, the hood is not as cool as the 96-98. There are really 4 choices as far as I am concerned for aftermarket
hood for a 99-04 Cobra.
-03 Cobra Hood
-00 Cobra R Hood (https://www.cervinis.com/shop/images/154A_1.jpg)
-95 Cobra R hood (https://www.cervinis.com/shop/closeup.asp?part=153) (tripple stack cowel)
-Stalker Hood. (https://www.cervinis.com/shop/closeup.asp?part=149)(but not anything else out of that kit)

Zedoc
01-09-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm not going to do any racing. Just the usual running around to the train station, my wife will take it to work, that sort of thing. I'll hardly do any mods. Maybe just remove the spoiler, but it has to have a tower brace. SO it sounds like the traction control and the IRS are worth the extra on a '99, not to mention the horsepower. But I hope it's more than just 5 horsepower. that's not realy significant. If it's really 20 horsepower, that's more worth it.

But I've got to tell you, In My Opinoin, the '97 has it going away as far as the tower brace, (cheap upgrade? How cheap? I doubt it's cheap to get it installed, find it and buy it) and the hood and foglightsand dash mounted clock.

And do you mean, Firme, that you can't physically put an '97 hood on a '99? And that you can't buy a '97 style hood aftermarket in finberglass or something to put on a '99?

To tell you the truth, I'm so confused, I'm like a jackass with a bushell of hay on the right and a bushell of hay on the left and he starves to death because he can't make up his mind between the two.

I'm really on the verge of getting a Subaru. (and, man, have you seen how cheap a used '04 GTO is? You can get 'em for $21,000. Not that I'm interested in a used GTO.)

97Cobra
01-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Zedoc,

As for my personal preference ... I hate TC. It can save you if you drive in bad conditions, But Damit ... I bought this car to have fun, I would hate to have to turn off a button every day when I want to push it to the limits. Just my $.02

The IRS ... that might be worth it ... IRS can be better then a solid axle (which is what the 97-98s have). It will handle better, though I didn't look or drive 99+ since I prefer the body style I bought. The Cobra in 97 or 98 was the best of the best for that body style :D in my opinion.

As far as the tower brace, I would imagine it has to be welded into place (correct me if I'm wrong guys). So that is something to consider if you can't do the welding. I know when I guy in my Mustang Club put on sub frame connectors, he had to remove the whole interior, so not to catch it on fire when he welded them on. Just some thoughts. I will probably add the subframe connectors to the Cobra later this year, as I hear it makes a huge difference in stiffening the car (expecially a convertible). I can tell you that their was a handeling difference between the 97 and 98 Convertibles I drove. The 97 felt stiffer then the 98, which was probably the tower brace.

As far as the color combo (btw ... great choice nckissfan) ... I wanted the green. 97's Cobras were only available in black, red, and green. Then you had a interior of black or tan, and I believe black or tan tops. In a convertible, the black seats (especially leather) will burn you on a hot summer day. I only found 1 red/tan interior 97 (but the cobra was more fun and less miles). The rest were either black/black or red/black. I don't regret this choice for a minute. The green and tan is a sharp combo IMO and one of the better ones. Plus the green is actually a green metallic, unlike the red and black which have no metallic in them. Plus red stands out in a croud ... I'd prefer to draw less attention to my car, as it keeps insurance bills down ... LOL:thumbsup:

Zedoc, You seem to be jumping around at anything that comes up. I would recommend that you go find local ones (at a dealer, whatever) and just drive them ... each style as I did. Then you can pick which you believe you will like best. Then, if I were you, I'd pick the options you want body style/color combo and then look for that specific car. It might help your search. I think you will find this helpful in your decision process, also, it will help you fingure out what you really want. Sometimes picking up/checking out an illustrated buyers guide for mustangs will help you narrow it down to a year. Also, doing stuff like forums help, as there are a ton of people with knowledge that can add their $.02. :D

~Erik

PS (I now have a picture of my Cobra in my signature; if it shows up ...)

Zedoc
01-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Well, I've got some good choices pending, but I kind of screwed up by telling one dealer I was taking the black and tan '97 'vert' w/22K mi and then he held it for me and then I changed my mind. Now I have this other red coupe, '99. I'd rather have the coupe, I think, though there's nothing certain about that. So, I don't know what the fusk I'm doing at this point.
I'm a bottom feeder. I want the closest to $0 I can get in a low mileage car. But I enjoy these disxussions I'm having with y'all.

RF Cobra
01-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Just remember, you get what you pay for. If you only go after what is cheapest then ultimately you will likely be disappointed with your purchase. Do as Erik said, make a list of what you think you want and test drive them. Then start eliminating all the ones you know you do not want. I would try to work it down to no more than 3 vehicle choices. Then shop around for just those vehicles to see which one you can find with the best price and ignore everything else. If you do it this way you should be much happier in the long run. There will always be something else with what appears to be a good price (like the GTO you mentioned). However, there is usually a very good reason it is priced the way it is and it is not the bargain it appears (like the GTO you mentioned).

Good luck! :thumbsup:

nckissfan
01-09-2005, 03:29 PM
new GTO=:zz: boring:thumbdwn:

dude, it will not be expensive to get a tower brace installed. Where do you live? Check to see if there is a speed shop around your area that would install one. Check to see if there is a vendor that sponsors this club in your area.

97Cobra
01-09-2005, 03:34 PM
There will always be something else with what appears to be a good price (like the GTO you mentioned). However, there is usually a very good reason it is priced the way it is and it is not the bargain it appears (like the GTO you mentioned).
I agree 100% ... if looks to good to be true, it probably is. That GTO may have a bad engine/tranny ... who knows. Like the saying goes ... if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

~Erik

Firme
01-09-2005, 05:22 PM
A good tower brace for the 99 IMO is the maximum motorsports piece.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/stb.asp

Black powder coated for $159, and when you become a member of the club, you can use your club membership number to get discounts at our vendors. One that I know has great pricing on MM stuff is Houston Performance. I did the install for mine myself with the help of a couple of other members. The biggest thing you need to do the install is patience and a good high speed drill.

They have the install manual on the MM site so you can see how hard it is

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/instructions/MMSTB-6r2.pdf

You can also call speed shops in your area and ask to see how much they would charge.

As far as TC being annoying, by default it is "ON" every time you start the car, and to turn it off, you must press the TC button to make the "TC OFF" Light come on. But if you are like 97Cobra and hat TC but want it there for rainy days, you can buy an aftermarket module to make the TC default to "OFF" every time you start the car, and you have to manually turn it "on" for when you want it, like when its raining bad.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Zedoc
01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
THis is from the SCOA information page:

'Preliminary results indicate that the fix is successful at restoring power output to the expected levels, however some owners who have had the fix are not seeing the level of power that is expected. Also, it has been reported that the replacement mufflers are significantly louder than the original ones.'

Who's not seeing the level of power that is expected? Anyone we know? Are the mufflers significantly louder than the 2001s, for example? Did anyone notice?

Also, how much do the Bassini systems run and how little money can you get away with to free up the catalyic converter?

Could someone please tell me some more wonderful things about the '99s? I may be about to make an announcement.

Firme
01-20-2005, 01:47 AM
some of the highes bolt on numbers I have seen from the "new edge" (99-01) Cobra's that I have seen are from the 99 cars.

Take these thing into consideration. The stock replacement exhaust might be "louder", but it won't be as good as throwing on some aftermarket parts.

You can get away pretty cheap if you buy some quality used exhaust. There are people out there that swap their setup from time to time soley on wanting a "new sound" after a while, so if you keep your eyes open, you can pick something up at a decent price. A cat-back for say 300-350, an off-road pipe for $150, or a decent hi-flow cat pipe for $300. Of course those are some rough numbers and different brands have different price tags.

I will warn you now, ANYONE that has EVER said "I am not gonna MOD my Cobra, I am just gonna do XXXXX and thats it", has ended up doing more stuff to it down the line. MODDING IS ADDICTIVE. These cars have SO MUCH aftermarket support (not as much as the 5.0, but still)

InfamousSVT
01-20-2005, 02:17 AM
I will warn you now, ANYONE that has EVER said "I am not gonna MOD my Cobra, I am just gonna do XXXXX and thats it", has ended up doing more stuff to it down the line. MODDING IS ADDICTIVE. These cars have SO MUCH aftermarket support (not as much as the 5.0, but still)

Totally Agree!:D :D
I have no idea what stock mean:rolleyes: :rotf:

dewone
01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I agree. You just keep finding new things. Ain't it great:)