PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Help

Arch Angel
01-10-2005, 11:43 AM
My clutch went out yesterday & I'm looking for a replacement.

I called Tommie Vaughn Ford & they have these clutches in stock. The parts guy said that they are pretty good clutches.

How do they compare to Spec Clutches? I would probably like a Spec clutch, but I can't afford to have my car in the shop for too long because I have a car retail.

Ideas

NewFoundPower
01-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I would be careful when it comes to Spec clutches. Big Daddy just blew his Spec Stage 4 (only had 25,000 miles on it) this weekend. Needless to say he isn't very happy about that considering they are supposed to be very durable.

-D-

Firme
01-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I would be careful when it comes to Spec clutches. Big Daddy just blew his Spec Stage 4 (only had 25,000 miles on it) this weekend. Needless to say he isn't very happy about that considering they are supposed to be very durable.

-D-

:rotf:

In all fairness, Greg is putting down 600 RWHP and 525 Torque and is a maniac behind the wheel from what I hear. *runs and hides*

NewFoundPower
01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Greg, a maniac?!?!? He drives like an old granny :D ! Still, Spec claims that its stage 4 clutch can handle 695lbs/tq, (http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html) Gregs car is badass but he is well within the supposed capabilities of his clutch.

-D-

smashedheadcat
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Arch Angel..... I'd look into getting an '03 cobra flywheel and clutch. These are of OEM quality, and hold up extremely well considering the power.

Josh

SNAKEYE
01-11-2005, 11:44 AM

I called Tommie Vaughn Ford & they have these clutches in stock. The parts guy said that they are pretty good clutches.

How do they compare to Spec Clutches? I would probably like a Spec clutch, but I can't afford to have my car in the shop for too long because I have a car retail.

Ideas
Interestingly, C J Pony Parts just e-mailed an ad for Spec Clutches.

FYI, for 1986-2001 5.0L/4.6L: Stage 1 (410 ft. lbs.) = $194.95
Stage 2 (520 ft. lbs.) = $314.95
Stage 3 (680 ft. lbs.) = $334.95

Looks like the price includes: pressure plate, friction disk, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool.

They go on to say "Higher stages also available, please call 1-800-888-6473."

Abneriel
01-12-2005, 01:59 AM
I've been looking for a Mcleod myself...haven't heard anything wrong with them :dunno:

smashedheadcat
01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I've been looking for a Mcleod myself...haven't heard anything wrong with them :dunno:

My Mcleod's have been light switches........ on or off. Mcleod stage 4, and mcleod street twin (IMO, not streetable).

Big Daddy
01-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Ideas

Well let me tell you what happened to my Spec Clutch after 25000 miles. I managed to weld the clutch disk to the hub! NO WAY should this have happened. I'm getting the clutch, hub and flywheel and sending it back to Spec to see what they have to say about this. The clutch was rated for 695 ft lbs of torque and as you can see from my signature I have no where near that! Call D&D Performance and pick up one of their clutches (McLeod), True Blue Performance has been using them and has one of those clutches in a 675 RWHP 550 RWT Mustang GT and it is holding up with no problem! :D :thumbsup:

johnbasf
01-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Are you up and running again BD??

Big Daddy
01-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Are you up and running again BD??

I pickup the car on Friday with my NEW trailer! :D :thumbsup: :bounce:

johnbasf
01-12-2005, 06:45 PM
I pickup the car on Friday with my NEW trailer! :D :thumbsup: :bounce:

PICS!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
01-13-2005, 08:57 AM
PICS!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Of what the new trailer or the welded together clutch?? The shop managed to pry the clutch disk away from the hub, but it wasn't pretty! I will be getting my new trailer Friday morning and then taking it directly to Custom Performance to pick up the car. I'll post picks of the trailer and the clutch either Friday night or Saturday morning! :D :thumbsup: