PDA

View Full Version : How many miles is too many miles

Zedoc
01-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I have located another opportunity. THis one is a '97 coupe w/40,000 mi. $10,000, w/new tires. So this is about $3000 less than the 20, 000 -27, 000 mi. vehicles I seen so far. A '99 w/16K is $14,500.

Is 40,000 too many miles on a used CObra to consider the $3000 a real savings?

Firme
01-10-2005, 03:45 PM
not really, the engine will last if its taken care of.

And one thing to consider. Cobra's are different than most cars. Some people TRY to blow up their motor just so they can do a rebuild it with better stronger part (for upping it to alot more power) :D A good Mustang shop can do a built motor for a decent price.

40,000 miles is not that much.

cobrabitn
01-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a never ending topic? :rotf: I think it all boils down to what body style you like because you are going to be the one that drives it everyday. I would look for the following when buying a previously owned Cobra:

1) Mileage
2) Price
3) Color
4) Overall Condition
5) One owner?
6) Modifications
7) How close is it for me to go and inspect?
8) Options

If the 99 is a one owner with just a couple of mods and only has 16K miles on it then I would say it was the best deal. Having 40K miles on a 97 makes me leery. Is either one of them a one owner? Which color do you prefer and does one of them match what you are looking for? I have seen a 60K mile Rio Red 97 convertible and it looked like it had 150K on it. Needless to say, I did not buy it. I did buy my 94 Pace Car without looking at it because it was a one owner with 9300 miles on it and it was in almost factory mint condition. It has a couple of blemishes but nothing that couldn't be fixed rather quickly.

All in all, if you are set on a budget then try the best to stick to it, if you are not then get the Cobra that YOU want to drive and enjoy everyday. Every car is different. You may have a low mileage car that is dogged out or a great looking high mileage one. Odds are the reverse is true but I have always believed that you get what you pay for. You may skimp today and regret it tomorrow. Your decision, have fun! :)

flynfink
01-10-2005, 11:13 PM
I have located another opportunity. THis one is a '97 coupe w/40,000 mi. $10,000, w/new tires. So this is about $3000 less than the 20, 000 -27, 000 mi. vehicles I seen so far. A '99 w/16K is $14,500.

Is 40,000 too many miles on a used CObra to consider the $3000 a real savings?

Dude, buy a freaking car already. We've told ya why the 99 doesn't suck.. :mad:
We've told ya the pluses and minus' of each. Make up your mind and buy one so you can drive it and start asking ?'s about what gears you should put in it (4.10-4.30's in a 99) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, rio red is the best color. ;) ;)

Zedoc
01-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a never ending topic? [QUOTE]:rotf:

I know I'm probably driving some of you guys nuts and maybe some wish I would dry up and blow away, but hey, it's something to talk about. It keeps me from having to sue mentally affected on behalf of the state, so humor me.
Besides, there isn't a lot going on around here (meaning this forum) anyway, and you are a group of great enthusiasts.

[QUOTE] 7) How close is it for me to go and inspect? [QUOTE]

They're never close to inspect. Always in some othr part of the country I would have to fly to. That's what causes me the most difficulty because Ikeep changing my mind before I can make arrangements to fly out, like that last one in VIrginia.

[QUOTE] If the 99 is a one owner with just a couple of mods and only has 16K miles on it then I would say it was the best deal. Having 40K miles on a 97 makes me leery. Is either one of them a one owner? Which color do you prefer and does one of them match what you are looking for? You may skimp today and regret it tomorrow. Your decision, have fun! :)
I think the red '99 is a one owner. the other one had two owners. THe second owner only kept it for a minth. (You said 'minth'! Yes, I know what I said.) That mekes me a little leary, too but it's green and tan and a '97 so it has everything else going for it.

The thing about the '99s is I suspect that the traction control and IRS are just gimmicks. I'm told that IRS wheel hops when you try a burn out. Is that true? Also, I'm told that the traction control is just a pain in the asss and doesn't do anything.

And I HATE IT that they stopped equiping tower braces after '97!

Other than that, just humor me. I'll go away some day and then you'll miss me.

cobrabitn
01-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Yep, the 99's wheel hop but I have a nice set of KB springs I'll sell to you cheap and you can put them on it and virtually eliminate any wheel hop. (I had them on my 99) Once I put the springs on, the 99 I had never hopped out on the street and adding drag radials at the strip got rid of 99% of the hop. Forget the export brace, you can buy a nice chrome one for when you go to shows. The factory ones were black and in my opinion are not as polished as the aftermarket chrome ones.

The 99's ride much better, have more hp after the fix and you can take 03/04 Cobra parts and make them work on the 99 whereas you cannot on the 94-98. Again, the choice is yours.

As for the reason our forums don't have as much activity as others. It's because we actually spend our time planning events and going to them. We are a club not a general BB and the SCMC BB gets millions of hits each month on its website. Don't let the numbers fool you.

We don't want you to go away.... we want you to go out and get a Cobra and have some fun with it and join us. You are not guaranteed tomorrow, so what are you waiting on? :D

flynfink
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
We don't want you to go away.... we want you to go out and get a Cobra and have some fun with it and join us. You are not guaranteed tomorrow, so what are you waiting on? :D

Exactly..... :D

RF Cobra
01-11-2005, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=Zedoc]They're never close [QUOTE]

What deprived part of the country do you live in that doesn't have any Cobras?

This is just one more reason that you need to hurry up and buy one.:rotf: :D

Since you will be the one owning and driving it, find the one that you like the best and feel the most comfortable with on price and buy it. I would not by any used performance car sight unseen though unless you are prepared to possibly have to spend a lot of money fixing whatever the previous owner did to it.

Zedoc
01-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Just so you'alll know how insane I am, I was reading the e-pinions web site for Mustang reviews by consumers (great site for every kind of consumer experience) and there were more than a few horror stories revolving around craftsmanship and relialibility issues, premature rusting, grinding gears, off center steering, more. It scares the snot out of me. Have you guys had these issues?

But I'm not lost yet. In fact, I'm pretty close to the '99 w/16,000 mi, red & tan for $14,100 delivered to my door. It would seem to preclude a test drive, but I'm not sure. I've talked with the retail vender extensively and he SEEMS to be a straight up guy. He says it's a 10 out of 10. He bought it from a bank after the 5 year lease was over.

Of course, for $18,000 I could get a 2005 V6. DOn't think that doesn't occur to me.

:bounce:

tazzracing1
01-11-2005, 10:20 PM
I have no issues with my Cobra and enjoy it as much as possible any chance I get it out and go for a ride but winter time is limited. I have a 97 and no rust or off center steering issues. I do agree with you I really like the hood,dash clock,and the strut bar. I would check out the two at hand and go with what you feel is the best deal and the one that appeals to you and then join this club and try and get involved with the club as much as possible this club is the best around. I also would have to ask where the cars were that rusted and how well were they taken of. I live in Michigan and I have no issue with rust on my cars but I do keep them clean. ai do not like my cars dirty but some people do not really care for their cars.

nckissfan
01-12-2005, 08:15 AM
@Zedoc, I think you are really looking way too deep in this. Yes, purchasing a car is a big deal. You won't even test drive the 99 you are looking at? Dude, drive the car, you will love it. We are all here to help you, I promise! This club, the SVT Cobra Mustang Club, is the most beneficial place you will find, not some internet review site. That is the type of site where the bad stuff goes, you rarely read the positives about the Mustang. Every car manufacturer, and car built experiences negatives, and problems with some vehicles. It's going to happen, but the good outways the bad in most cases, unless you are buying a Yugo. The good thing with the Cobras is they are limited numbers, the motors are hand built. The 99 sounds like a good one, the 97 sounds like a good one, too. We would like you to get a Cobra, join this club, make new friends, and experience the vehicle for what it is.:thumbsup:

97Cobra
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Zedoc,

Go Green and Tan ... oh wait ... get whatever color you want.

Miles are miles, it is how the car was driven that matters. Low milage on an older (97ish) mustang could be a bad thing. Sometimes that means that the car has been sitting too long, aka the seals all dry up and everything leaks (trust me, I know from experience on this one). Though, not always the case, since you may have a consious car owner who starts the car so the seals don't dry out (unlike what happened to my other car). So you can't really tell.

I think you are doing well at obsorbing knowledge. Once you have what you need, you should be able to get what you want, but I would start narrowing it down before you drive yourself nuts ... unless you have some rich relative so you can buy them all, then I am going to charge an advising fee ... LOL.

Na, we dont want you to leave ... we just want you to buy a car ... I can tell you want one ... just do it. There is always a time in life were you take your best gut feeling and do it! SO GO DO IT ... hehehehe. Worst case senario ... you buy the car, don't like it too much, then get a different one ... though I doubt once you have one, you will want to get rid of it! :thumbsup:

~Erik

97Cobra
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
As for the reason our forums don't have as much activity as others. It's because we actually spend our time planning events and going to them. We are a club not a general BB and the SCMC BB gets millions of hits each month on its website. Don't let the numbers fool you.
Cobrabitn,

When is your next activity coming to the Mountain area, say, hmmm ... Colorado???? :D

~Erik

RF Cobra
01-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Cobrabitn,

When is your next activity coming to the Mountain area, say, hmmm ... Colorado???? :D

~Erik

I'm sure Tony would be more than happy for you to join the club and volunteer to be an event organizer for your area. :thumbsup:

97Cobra
01-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm sure Tony would be more than happy for you to join the club and volunteer to be an event organizer for your area. :thumbsup:
I imagine that I can figure something out. Tell me when everyone will be in CO and I'll get a list of ideas going ... draggin at Bandimere or something ... hehehehe :D

~Erik

RF Cobra
01-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Just so you'alll know how insane I am, I was reading the e-pinions web site for Mustang reviews by consumers (great site for every kind of consumer experience) and there were more than a few horror stories revolving around craftsmanship and relialibility issues, premature rusting, grinding gears, off center steering, more. It scares the snot out of me. Have you guys had these issues?

Of course, for $18,000 I could get a 2005 V6. DOn't think that doesn't occur to me.

Paragraph 1 ------> I usually read those things just to get a good laugh. I think Consumer Reports used a whole ink cartridge for the black circles they put on the 88 Thunderbird (my 88 Tbird Sport was the best, most reliable car I have owned). I usually look at their reports to see what they rated as the worst and it usually turns out that is what I end up getting...and my experience has always been the opposite of what they claim.

Paragraph 2 ------> :what: This statement tells me that maybe you really aren't as serious about having a performance car as you claim. Comparing a Cobra to a V6 is like comparing a rowboat to the Queen Elizabeth II for taking a voyage across the ocean. It just isn't logical. You need to take a step back, take a few deep breaths, and decide what it is you really want to do. As we keep saying, we would love for you to get one and join the club.:) However, it doesn't sound like you are really committed to doing it as you keep trying to find excuses not to get one everytime you mention finding one. To be honest, I was NEVER crazy about Mustangs like some people are. When I first started looking to buy I was considering: F250 turbo diesel, WRX STi, Subaru Legacy sedan (V6), Jaguar S Type. The Cobra was not even on my list. However, after driving the STi I figured I should at least drive a Cobra to see how it was and put aside my apprehension. I really liked the STi, but I am a V8 person at heart. Needless to say I got something few people do since my wife works for the dealership and they like her a lot...a weekend long test drive (Friday - Monday) of the Cobra with no supervision. After a weekend of driving I was sold on the Cobra and the rest is history. :D

If you have not driven a Cobra then the first thing you need to do is find one near you and drive it. Then decide what you want to get. If you want a Cobra, great, go for it. If you only want a poser car that pretends to be a sports car, get the V6. Ultimately you need to get what you want that you can afford and that you are the most comfortable with. It does not matter one bit what anyone else thinks.

cobrabitn
01-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Erik,

We have 5 members in CO and all of them have stuck with the club for a while. Others have joined and dropped due to lack of activity. Glen Mapes and Kevin Rogers are two good members in CO to hook up with. If you like to drive your car or cruise then they are the ones to meet. Glen has put a meet together but the turnout was nil except for him. You have to start somewhere and go one member at a time till you have a buttload of them and then you are rocking.

If you are serious and are determined then you can give it a shot and see what sort of response you get from other members in the CO area.

Tony

Zedoc
01-12-2005, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=nckissfan. Yes, purchasing a car is a big deal. ...even test drive the 99 you are looking at? Dude, drive the car, you will love it. ... you rarely read the positives about the Mustang. ... The good thing with the Cobras is they are limited numbers, the motors are hand built. The 99 sounds like a good one, the 97 sounds like a good one, too. ....:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

They don't seem too common around here at this time of year to be able to test drive. Actually, I test drove that first '97 'vert' (that he wouldn't come below $14,000 on) and I did love it. You know, you're absolutely right that you tend to read the negatives and the positives somehow don't translate so good.

Part of my problem (I love this opportunity for psycotherapy y'all are affording me) is that I've made a few poor decisions in the past. Like the '69 Chevelle Big Block that all I had to do was re-assemble. Like the Harley Police bike that I bought in the fall and couldn't sleep all winter 'till I sold it. Don't get me wrong, I've made some good decisions, too. My new '63 Sting Ray with the 4.56 when I was 16 was the right choice. So's my '00 Hayabusa. The thing that I guess nags at me is that if I want to turn around and sell, because I get interested in something else, or a new 'stang or whatever, I see these Kelly Blue Book prices that are $3000 less than I'm going to be paying and I can't help but think that right after I buy, there are going to be more '05s on the lot and the older 'stangs are going to take a beating and I can't get my dough out. That and the general materialistic aspect of putting my hopes for happiness in a car instead of in, oh, paying down my mortgage or something sensible like that.

Now, a V6 isn't a CObra, but it is zippy and economical and good looking so that's why I mention it. As long as you have a manual transmission you get sport out of the car and you can tear around the streets cutting and generally pissing people off, so that's good sport. But that Cobra engine is surely a work of art.

Anyway, these are imponderables for the most part and I know y'all can't help me making a decision. I'm so busy at work (you wouldn't believe the brief writing i have to do) that It's easy to talk about it here but it's hard for me to find the time to get out and travel to a car for a test drive, so that's why I'm putting it off.

I'll be around. I'm going to the auto show in February (CHicago) and I'll have something when the time and the car come together. Damn, I'd like that '99. It could be in my garage by the weekend. You don't think I'll take a $3000 hit on it?

beerkat
01-13-2005, 09:32 AM
If you live in snow country then wait till spring. Me thinks that you worry to much about things in general. There are no guarantees with life or used cars. Things are only worth what some one is willing to give you for it. You should buy a new car, then you will have a warranty to work with.

casey99COBRA
01-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Yep, the 99's wheel hop but I have a nice set of KB springs I'll sell to you cheap and you can put them on it and virtually eliminate any wheel hop. (I had them on my 99) Once I put the springs on, the 99 I had never hopped out on the street and adding drag radials at the strip got rid of 99% of the hop. Forget the export brace, you can buy a nice chrome one for when you go to shows. The factory ones were black and in my opinion are not as polished as the aftermarket chrome ones.

Front and Back springs? how much of a drop? And how much do you want for them?

Stavesacre21
01-13-2005, 06:23 PM
I couldn't agree more that comparing a V6 new mustang to ANY Cobra really should arise a few important flags in yur mind. Cobra's are more along the lines of performance, fine tuned machines, where as the new V6's are targeted more towards someone who wants the economical car by means of sacrificing name and power. And if all the worry about the car breakin down on you really does keep runnin through yur mind, it sounds like a new car might almost be yur route. Don't get me wrong, cause I love my 97 Cobra to death...but at the same time I'm more then willing to pick up the tab on any repair/maintence that may be done! One way or another......GO FOR IT!!! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
01-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I have all four springs. If you pay shipping, you can have them for $175.00 for the set. They cost me over $300.00 new plus shipping. They will lower your car 1.5 inches and your snake will look sweet. They will definitely make your snake look meaner and lower.

Click photo to see how they performed at the dragstrip.

Also, I did not need any aftermarket cc plates as my car speced out fine and it never wore the tires irregularly. They aren't too hard to install but you will need a spring compressor to put them in. Plan to spend about 4 hours with the installation. It never bottomed out as they are progressive springs. The more they compress, the stronger they get. If you do more suspension then I suggest you stick with the same manufacturer as the springs are from. That would be Kenny Brown. I have used their parts and have never had a problem out of them. Let me know if you are seriously interested and I can find out how much it will cost to ship them to UT for you.

casey99COBRA
01-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I have all four springs. If you pay shipping, you can have them for $175.00 for the set. They cost me over $300.00 new plus shipping. They will lower your car 1.5 inches and your snake will look sweet. They will definitely make your snake look meaner and lower.

Click photo to see how they performed at the dragstrip.

Also, I did not need any aftermarket cc plates as my car speced out fine and it never wore the tires irregularly. They aren't too hard to install but you will need a spring compressor to put them in. Plan to spend about 4 hours with the installation. It never bottomed out as they are progressive springs. The more they compress, the stronger they get. If you do more suspension then I suggest you stick with the same manufacturer as the springs are from. That would be Kenny Brown. I have used their parts and have never had a problem out of them. Let me know if you are seriously interested and I can find out how much it will cost to ship them to UT for you.
Yes seriously interested... How does $185 shipped via paypal sound? e-mail me at deputydawg181@hotmail.com or call me anytime 8018591373
-Casey

ausie
01-15-2005, 08:47 AM
You could always compare blue book numbers and get a feel for typical milage for various years. At least you would have a bench mark for pricing. If you inspect the vehicle, write down the vin number and run a check on it either through carfax or some other means to see if it was involved in a flood, accident, etc.... That may cost about $20.00 if you want a detailed report. If it has only one or two instances or records in the file, it is usually the transportation report from the dealer who sold the car in the first place. If the basic report reveals more than two claims it may have a history that may change your mind. Also, you can take the vin number to a ford dealer and ask them to check for warranty repair work history (that may be a dead end though). Other than that, if the car was well maintained, not re-painted and in good condition, you may be able to haggle the re-sale value a bit for blemishes in the paint, etc.... Ask to test drive it first. If you like it, you may want to have a known mechanic look at it for a simple inspection before you buy it.

Zedoc
01-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Yep, the 99's wheel hop but I have a nice set of KB springs I'll sell to you cheap
:D
I guess those KB springs aren't avilable any more to stop my wheel hop? Do you need four springs or two? How much and how necessary? Is it only the IRS Cobras from '99 and after that wheel hop, or is it the live axle ones too? Do they wheel hop every time you try to burn rubber or is it only when yo're tying for best quarterr mile times? How anoying is it in regular spirited driving?

(By the way, I'll have one soon. We've just been looking for a few weeks, and talking about it.)

casey99COBRA
01-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Tony... Did you want to sell these things or what ? I'm ready when you are.

cobrabitn
01-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Let me box them up and see what the shipping is on them, Casey. I do not have a Paypal account so you'll have to send me a check. If you want them, they are yours. :)

Thanks,

Tony

casey99COBRA
01-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Let me box them up and see what the shipping is on them, Casey. I do not have a Paypal account so you'll have to send me a check. If you want them, they are yours. :)

Thanks,

TonyI want them! Is there any kind of electronic funds transfer we can do that you might have ? And what is the part number for the springs ? I'm guessing these are the KB sport springs? Lets do a money order instead... hence, i'm out of checks. But if there is any way we could do this electronically that would be much appreciated. Would you please email me or call me and provide your address if we are doing this through the mail. Thanks!
deputydawg181@hotmail.com
-Casey