PDA

View Full Version : Searching to buy + ???s

wannabesvt
01-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I am presently looking at a 2001 Conv Cobra. Has about 35K miles. Looks like its been sitting on the dealer's lot about 8 months. The price is very low 20s

Looks fairly clean but I am unsure what questions to ask, and unsure when its been sitting for awhile what I need to look for mechanically?

Also can an extended warranty still be purchased? They are an SVT dealer.

Any assistance or pointers are appreciated!
:raise:

Abneriel
01-17-2005, 08:08 PM
what are you looking to do with the car? Performance? Cruising?

wannabesvt
01-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Just a cruiser plus a GOOD driver when the weather permits....I ride about 40 miles each way.

Looking for Ford dependibility, style, and of course a little fun in between.

Cobra4me
01-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Sounds to me to a little high. Of course I don't know the market where you live. I bought a 2001 cobra a couple of months ago from my local Ford dealer for 20998 but it had only 23,900 on the odometer.
Robk

Stavesacre21
01-18-2005, 02:00 AM
For the miles, (reguardless of year), that does sound a little pricey for that specific Cobra...especially for a convertable during the winter months.

I think you'll find that if you broaden yur search area (at least 100 miles), you'll find that there are some real diamonds in the rough out there, which you could take home for a steal...especially if yur lookin for a convertable during the winter months.

As for the SVT name and dependability...i think you'll be totally covered. However, don't expect it to be like a snowmobile in these wintery months :thumbsup:

wannabesvt
01-18-2005, 06:19 AM
The price is always negotiable, I am aware of the wholesale and retail prices ... what I'm concerned about is the length of time sitting. Oil leaks, hardened & dry gaskets, etc.

Any idea of other questions I should ask? Is there a Master technician in the house? All input is appreciated.

wannabesvt
01-19-2005, 07:50 PM
New wrinkle ... car has had 3 owners ... is that raising a red flag or can the 3 owners be explained away or can that be somewhat normal in an affluent area?

Any input welcomed

NewFoundPower
01-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Hmm, that would make me very cautious. When I bought my 93 I was the third owner but I talked to the previous two to see why they had sold it. Once I got that info, then I felt more comfortable about my decision. I am not saying that it isn't a good car but I would want more info on it.

-D-

Stavesacre21
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
couldn't agree more with newfoundpower.......i personally don't think i'm ever gonna buy another car...especially once such as a cobra, without personally talking to all of the previous owners. If there's too many for me to talk to, that's my sign to move on.

Guess it's all a matter of personal preference though...in the end, it's all about what floats yur boat

wannabesvt
01-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Given the warning, what are some of the most common problems with the 01 model cobras that I might look for?

Thanks

cobrabitn
01-24-2005, 11:08 PM
1) Engine ping
2) Driveline vibration

ausie
01-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I can agree with Cobrabitn on the engine ping issue. Some have it bad and some do not. The one I owned had a moderate ping issue. At first I thought it was related to fuel, but found out it was a head design issue related to coolant flow and valve overheat. It was a good car except for the pinging issue which basically too all of the fun out of driving it due to loss of power when it pinged. Had I known at the time it was a cooling issue, I would have opted for the Apten cooling by-pass kit and kept the car, but I wanted more power so trading it in was the best option for me.