PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers and 'Cobra' on bumper

Zedoc
01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
What's the deal with some Cobras having the wing spoiler and some having the lip spoiler? Did the spoiler design change in a certain year or are the 'lip' type spoilers just an aftermarket ad-on? Are aftermarket 'lip' type spoilers readily available?

And the Cobra I lookled at, a '99, had the word 'Mustang' on the rear bumper. When did the word 'Cobra' replace it, or is that atermarket too?

Listen, I'm closing in on this. I'm still not sure if I need and want the 'vert' rather than the coupe. Or the '97 verses the '99. Or a '05 GT. Or a '05 V6 (manual). But I'm definately closing in on this!

:bounce:

wrenchturner
01-18-2005, 06:22 PM
What's the deal with some Cobras having the wing spoiler and some having the lip spoiler? Did the spoiler design change in a certain year or are the 'lip' type spoilers just an aftermarket ad-on? Are aftermarket 'lip' type spoilers readily available?

And the Cobra I lookled at, a '99, had the word 'Mustang' on the rear bumper. When did the word 'Cobra' replace it, or is that atermarket too?

Listen, I'm closing in on this. I'm still not sure if I need and want the 'vert' rather than the coupe. Or the '97 verses the '99. Or a '05 GT. Or a '05 V6 (manual). But I'm definately closing in on this!

99's and 01's have wings.... 99 says MUSTANG on the rear bumper 01 says COBRA....99's and 01's also have amber rear turn signals and 03's and 04's have red ones... 03's and 04's have lips spoilers and say COBRA on the rear bumpers...

Hope that helps I am only good on the 99 and up ones on those little changes on the rear...

Firme
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
variety

RF Cobra
01-18-2005, 06:48 PM

I know where you can get a new untitled black 03 Cobra vert with camel tops and camel inserts if you want to add that to the list too.

Zedoc
01-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I know where you can get a new untitled black 03 Cobra vert with camel tops and camel inserts if you want to add that to the list too.
Thanks for looking out for me. Realistically, I'm going to spend $14,000 or less. Any '03 is going to be too expensive for me, though I'd love it.

Right now I have it down to three:

1. '99 Red Coupe/saddle w/16K mi @ $14,100;
2. '97 Black 'vert'/saddle w/22K mi @ $13,000 (if the guy will still sell it to me after I changed my mind (once);
3. '97 Green/tan coupe w/ 40K mi @ $10,000

I'm thinking of doing a pole. What do you think?
(I've only been abusing myself over this decision for two months now, but, in all fairness, winter has been hard and I've had too much to concentrate on at work.)

The thing that frosts my ass: IRS wheelhop. What does that mean, anyway? Does that mean you can't squeal out in a '99? You can't pop the clutch? You can't lay a patch, burn rubber or it skips like warped vinyl? Goes up and down more than it goes forward? What does wheelhop translate into? Other than wheelhop the '99 has good improvements.

CID:{209D1B00-8315-4760-B46E-CACA8FFE08B6}/97Mustangleft.jpg

The cool things: '97 tower brace, clock, hood and light weight in coupe, but '97 doesn't have the other '99 improvements.

By the way. I doubt I'll have money for mods. I was told by my local SVT dealer that a axle gear change is $1300.

nckissfan
01-18-2005, 10:37 PM
that green is damn pretty when it is clean and shining.......hint hint;)

InfamousSVT
01-18-2005, 11:40 PM
The thing that frosts my ass: IRS wheelhop. What does that mean, anyway? Does that mean you can't squeal out in a '99? You can't pop the clutch? You can't lay a patch, burn rubber or it skips like warped vinyl? Goes up and down more than it goes forward? What does wheelhop translate into? Other than wheelhop the '99 has good improvements.
By the way. I doubt I'll have money for mods. I was told by my local SVT dealer that a axle gear change is $1300.

Wheel hop is common for all the IRS Cobras! I've got an 04' and I had "bad" wheel hop until I changed out my rear IRS rubber bushings and got the Urethane ones! Also, the 03/04 have the IRS differential brace, which I'm not sure what year that started using those, but they also help with wheel hop! You can still lay down rubber on the street and get up and go, but you might have wheel hop every once in a while! I personally get wheel hop a little when cruising at 35mph and dropping the clutch and burning rubber!:D

For a gear change, meaning going to a 3.73 or 4.10 you can get it done for way cheaper than that. Depending where you purchase the gear and who does the work. Ford is going to charge you an arm and leg for any work they do! I'd get a reputable shop to do it for you, if you can't do it yourself.

Hope all this rambling helps!:thumbsup:
Good luck with your choice!

ausie
01-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Zedoc,
My preference would be the 99 just for the performance aspects, (I do like the ported hood on the 97's though) I was a bit dissapointed that they changed that in 99/01 models. As far as wheel hop is concerned, you can get that with both but more so with the IRS. As for laying a patch of rubber 120 ft long and dark enough to see it for a few months can be done with the IRS and no wheel hop. It all depends on the road surface (how well it grips), tires and weight transfer to the rear at launch. With the 01 I have experienced wheel hop that just about caused me to loose my teeth as well as a nice smokey burn that was smooth ridding. It all depends on how much of your driving or intentions will be burning off the tires and tackling the straight line quarter mile. If you intend to do some lateral sliding on tight turns (so called drifting) is an easy chore with the IRS (from which I never experienced wheel hop). My 01 was just a street rod, it only saw the track a few times (from the parking lot at the local drag strip, I have yet to run down the track). In my opinion the IRS is perfect for the street and great for road race.

If you plan on alot of 1/4 mile track use, it would be best if it was a coupe and not a convertable unless you add a roll bar (although I did read that some rules may change on that issue: 11.99 second rule that is). The 97 may have a stronger rear and if not it could be rebuilt with stronger axles and differential if you like the sit and spin. The half shafts on the IRS tend to be the weak link when over powered beyond the 500Hp max load.

If you are planning on adding a blower, the 97 is more suited for an inpeller type vortec , powerdyne, and paxton super charger. As for the 99, best performace would be either roots or twin screw (the twin screw would be the better of the two). I am not sure if the 97 has the same or similar compression ratio as the 99 or if it uses the hyperetic pistions and powdered metal connnecting rods that plagues the 99/01 years which limits the amount of boost you can force into the motor before something pops.

As far as the heads are concerned, 97 has the swirl port B casting heads and the 99 has the tumble port C casting heads. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The B casting uses two intake runners per cylinder and the secondary runner is closed off at low RPM to improve low end toruqe. It is prone to carbon build up since it is lacking a fuel injector to keep it clean. The C casting uses a single port for both intake valves. The down fall of the C heads is the low floor and the tendency for the intake air to overshoot the valves. Also there seems to be issues with valve overheat on the drivers head due to insufficient coolant flow which tends to cause pinging(but that can be fixed with bypass kit sold by apten performance). The C casting has improved air flow than the B.

Zedoc
01-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Good points, all. Thanks. I have little intention of making high performance mods or going to a race track or drag strip. Maybe a chip. I like to pop the clutch once and a while just to hear the squeal, but that's about it. Otherwise the car is to be a driver. I might get the axle ratio changed, we'll see.

Does that mean the '99 is a significantly improved car generally, and for everyday use notwithstanding the occasional clutch pop wheel hop, because it's a more modern, comfortable car? Does my use describe a convertable application? NCKissfan, I get the hint. That's the least expensive alternative, also. Is the '99 a significantly improved car?

I'm about ready to just get a GT 40 and be done with it. There's one at my local Ford dealer. $100 over invoice. Keep talk'n.

ausie
01-20-2005, 06:45 AM
If it is going to be a daily driver, I would suggest test driving each one on your list (that is if you did not do it yet). I have not driven a mustang older than an 01 with the exception of a friends 1990 Mustang GT. There may be some insignificant differences in the chassy but they are essentially the same. The only major difference between the 97 and 99 would be the IRS, spring rates, and probably a difference in diameter of the anti-roll /sway bars. In my opinion, I bought the 01 not just because it was a Cobra, but because it had the IRS and a hand built motor (I am not sure when SVT started doing this as it may pertain to the entire product line). The only thing I liked about the 97's and earlier versions of that body style were the nostrils on the hood. If you are looking for nestalgic things, I would consider looking at how many were made of that model year, and how many in that color. The green color option dissapeard from the 99 charts (that green color is sharp!). Then again I have a strong preference for Red too. As well as the black (may be difficult to keep clean but it will jump out at you once it is detailed :D you can't beat black for that mirror image after waxing). I did have a few issues with my 01 , I got the "I want more power" mod sickness and decided it would be easier to trade it in than to add a supercharger to it. Considering I got $14,500 for the trade with 31,000 miles on it was not that much of a loss, although I probably could have sold it for more money on my own. The price of the 99 is tempting especially at 16k miles. Good luck on which one you decide to buy.

Zedoc
01-20-2005, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=ausie]...The only thing I liked about the 97's and earlier versions of that body style were the nostrils on the hood....(that green color is sharp!). Then again I have a strong preference for Red too. ...I got $14,500 for the trade with 31,000 miles on it /QUOTE]

Good thoughts. Giving up the 'nostrils' is the hardest thing because that's what first impressed me when I drove a '97.

How long ago did you get $14,500 on your trade? My guy is ready to deliver the like-new red '99 for $13,800.

nckissfan
01-20-2005, 03:59 PM
that 99 sounds like a good deal, get you a bumper with Cobra on the back, and you will be set:thumbsup:

Zedoc
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
that 99 sounds like a good deal, get you a bumper with Cobra on the back, and you will be set:thumbsup:

Thanks, I need that kind of support. Yeah, but then I won't have the '97 Green & Tan or the $4000 price differential. See how I think? There is no satisfying me. I'm a 'glass is 10% empty' kind of guy. Besides, it's red. Rio Red. Real Rio Red.

(I keep thinking that the green one I could get re-painted British Racing Green with a stripe or a number real easy.)

You know, I don't know if it's all right to mention non-SVT products on this forum, but for $2000 more than the cost of the '99 Cobra, I could pay off the van and just get a new '05 GT for about the same monthly payment. What do you think of that? It begs the question, is the '99 Cobra as good a car as the '05 GT! Well, you've driven the new GT, is it?

RF Cobra
01-20-2005, 07:22 PM
(I keep thinking that the green one I could get re-painted British Racing Green with a stripe or a number real easy.)

For someone that is so worried about resale value I find it amusing that you are wanting to change the paint color.

Maybe you should just go buy an older used 4 cylinder Mustang and just slap a bunch of stickers and useless parts on it since you can get them VERY cheap. :rolleyes: Ooops, wait, if you do that you would really need to buy an import. :eek: Nevermind. Just buy the 97 since you say you do not care about the performance aspect since it is cheaper and be done with it so you can start enjoying it and stop worrying your life away. :D

97Cobra
01-21-2005, 02:18 AM
pst ... just do the 97 ... :D

~Erik

ausie
01-21-2005, 05:39 AM
I sold the 01 on October 14, 2004 just a few days shy of its 3 year date of October 18, 2001 when I drove it off the lot. If you truely want to look at the long run, compare insurance rates for the different model years. Considering that ford put a 4x4 stance on the mustang in 99 (wheel wells seemed too high and made the car look like you could go off road with it). After looking at the new 05, I think they put a 4x4 interior in it. It looks too much like the new F-150 than what I would think appears sporty. At first, I did not like the 93 interiror when they rolled that out onto dealers lots. But once you sit in one, it all becomes clear and you feel like you are part of the car. I have yet to sit in the 05 (only saw the interior throught the windows). The seats look comfortable though. As it was mentioned earlier by Edmond, Variety.... there are many differences between the models. Which one do you like best should be the one to pick.

flynfink
01-21-2005, 08:17 AM
:confused: :dunno:
Dude, you aren't listen to us. I told you weeks ago, 99 and up IRS cars ride SIGNIFICANTLY better than the pre 99 cars. Other have told you about the issues with most years and they are well documented in this forum. I saw the 99 I have on the lot, took it for a drive and and bought it immediatley to replace my fox body 5.0 vert and don't regret it one bit. My son's 94 does't ride or handle anywhere near as well.

Find one, drive it, buy one and then start the mods you want to make it what you want. We welcome ?'s but you are getting redundant.

Do you have this much problem making up your mind about what to wear each day?

Zedoc
01-21-2005, 08:45 AM

Do you have this much problem making up your mind about what to wear each day?No, really it's not that I'm having trouble making up my mind. It's just that things take time and in the meantime chatting about the variables on this forum gives me something to do and to talk about. One doesn't just act every time the thought of buying a new car pops into ones head. Besides, it gives me something else on my plate besides just having sex with these girls all the time.

For example, I'm not going to drive a cherry Cobra in the salt But the roads are covered with salt. It's the dead of winter. So I can't shoot down to wherever it is that I'm picking up my new ride and drive it back. I have to wait for a break in the weather and for some time away fom work. In the meantime, since I can't commit, I keep chewing on the decision, leaving alternatives open, and jawing with you guys. I guess I'm kind of a foil.

I mean, chatting about these issues is the purpose of the forum. That's what I'm doing, in my own frenetic style. Running flags up the pole to see who salutes 'em. I'm enjoying this affair with Cobras. They're different than 'vettes, or cycles. Much less common and less expensive and they appeal to me. I still wonder that there are not more definative answers to some of my questions than 'it's a personal choice make up your own mind....' I think there are more definative answers, in some cases, like which will depreciate more or which is the better value or which year buy or avoid, for the money. In other cases, not.

Also, the picture you get of a forum member by his questions is not necessarily an accurate picture of the actual person. On a forum annonyminity sometimes breeds role playing. Also, you don't know, for example, if a member has other issues and the forum is a way of escaping the realities of life, to some extent.

So, that's what I do, sometimes.

...99 and up IRS cars ride SIGNIFICANTLY better than the pre 99 cars. ....?

Now, there's a good statement. I don't remember seeing it before

97Cobra
01-21-2005, 11:08 AM
For example, I'm not going to drive a cherry Cobra in the salt But the roads are covered with salt. :thumbsup: Good thinkin! Salt will trash your new toy. (You should buy a truck and a trailer as well ... :rotf: )

Keep the questions coming ... LOL ... sometimes they are redundant, but at least they are entertaining ... heheheh

~Erik