PDA

View Full Version : purchasing a used cobra

The Gord
01-19-2005, 10:49 AM
I have about $20,000 and would love to spend it on a used cobra. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which years to avoid or desire in my purchase. I will work on this cobra quite a bit and dont want to run into too many hassles particularly with the motor or the suspension. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Zedoc
01-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I have about $20,000 and would love to spend it on a used cobra. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which years to avoid or desire in my purchase. I will work on this cobra quite a bit and dont want to run into too many hassles particularly with the motor or the suspension. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Man oh man. Welcome to the forum, Brother! I have been asking these questions for a while, getting a lot of great answers from a lot of helpful Cobra enthusiasts, and being unable to make my own decision the whole time. You'll see some of the info I've gotten in response to my questions like yours in other threads under my name. Check them out for some of your answers and then let's keep asking away.

By the way, the group of people on this forum are much more considerate and helpful, knowlegable and friendly and tolerant (of me, anyway) than those on another Mustang Forum I could mention, (not a SVT forum), which will go nameless.

:bounce:

venomous
01-19-2005, 11:55 AM
For $20,000 you could have yourself a nice low mileage 94-95 cobra (I am more biased towards the 94-95 cobras because I have 3 myself :D) . These may not be the fastest out of all the cobras, but there are not as many, and it they are the last ones with 5.0L motor. Plus you will more than likely have some money left over to mod it with!! Just my $.02 worth! Good luck with your buy!!

Firme
01-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Zedoc, :thumbsup: we try to run this board as a friendly environment, and what makes that work is the great group we have on here. Owners need to band together, not have ego contests :thumbsup: .

The Gord, like Zedoc said, if you search for his threads he started, you will find some helpful material for your research. With 20k, you are looking at 2001 year model being the newest. If you get REAL lucky maybe an 03.

But you can pretty much get an older model and throw on a bunch of goodies. Cobra's LOVE the aftermarket. :D

What are you planning on doing with the car? Daily Driver, Shows, cruising, drag racing, auto-x, open track????? thats makes a difference in what fits you best.

The Gord
01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. so far your club seems more receptive than any other I have found. I will certainly supercharge this cobra, as well as numerous other upgrades, with rwhp and driveability as important goals. it will see the dragstrip but not really for competition, more just for fun (really, really fast fun). Also, I live in the Texas Hill Country and definitely want this cobra to handle well at high speeds on the small windy roads. fun.

Lumpydogs
01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
The Gord,

Don't listen to Zedoc, Venomous or Firme. They are all nuts.
I'M JUST JOKING. :D

Hey welcome to message forums. Keep us posted on what you
end up buying. We appreciate all Cobra years. You will be hard
pressed to find a modification that someone on the board hasn't
already done, tried or removed. Keep it real

Firme
01-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. so far your club seems more receptive than any other I have found. I will certainly supercharge this cobra, as well as numerous other upgrades, with rwhp and driveability as important goals. it will see the dragstrip but not really for competition, more just for fun (really, really fast fun). Also, I live in the Texas Hill Country and definitely want this cobra to handle well at high speeds on the small windy roads. fun.

SWEEET :thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hopefully you will have it before March. Every 6 months, SCMC has a Cobra cruise in the Hill County. Houston, San Antonio, and DFW Cobras drive into Austin and meet up with the Austin Cobra's, and then we do a Hill Country Cruise, eat, then those interested hit up 6th Street. I hope you can make it.

more info here http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8387

pois n s
01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
we have a white convertable cobra for sale.
e-mail me and i will sent you pictures.
thanks
erica and charlie cook

ausie
01-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I would personally attempt to get your hands on an late 03 or 04 if that is even possible. Even if the Eaton is not enough, at least all of the things needed are already in place for Whipple or Kenn Bell twin screws. The 99 /01's may be in the price range, but once the next generation Cobra hits the market, the 03's may drop in price. Your best bet for boost greater than 6psi is one with forged internals (03/04 model years, along with cast iron blocks which are stronger than the aluminum blocks of the 99/01 models) I am not sure what is used internally on Cobras prior to 99 (99 and 01 use powderd metal connecting rods and hyperetic pistons which tend to be the weak link when applying boost). The maximum HP obtainable is probably 420 rwhp in the 99/01 before you need to rebuild the short block and replace the fuel tank and fuel delivery system. On the other hand, the 03/04's can easily produce 600 to 700rwhp with the introduction of a lysholm twin screw SC (whipple or Kenn Bell) as compared to 500 to 550rwhp with the Eaton M112 if modified (ported and smaller pully). Either way you go, just about any Cobra will be fun to drive. When it comes down to handling, do not skimp on tires plus there are tons of aftermarket products available to make any cobra handle like it is glued to rails (IRS or solid live axle). I personally have a preference to the IRS since most of my driving is on windy hilly roads (I barely get out on the highway, probably one reason I have no speeding tickets yet.)

The Gord
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
the (2000)saleen motor I beleive is the GT motor with all of the saleen upgrades. Does this motor have an aluminum or cast iron block?

flynfink
01-31-2005, 04:58 PM
the (2000)saleen motor I beleive is the GT motor with all of the saleen upgrades. Does this motor have an aluminum or cast iron block?
Cast iron...

The Gord
02-18-2005, 12:29 PM
For $20,000 you could have yourself a nice low mileage 94-95 cobra (I am more biased towards the 94-95 cobras because I have 3 myself :D) . These may not be the fastest out of all the cobras, but there are not as many, and it they are the last ones with 5.0L motor. Plus you will more than likely have some money left over to mod it with!! Just my $.02 worth! Good luck with your buy!!

So im still inthe market for a cobra and the deal i found on the saleen s-281 sc is pretty awesome, maybe too awesome and that makes me weary. anyways, Ive only heard great things about the pushrod 5.0 and frankly the fastest mustangs on the strip are the 5.0's. purchasing a used 95 would leave me with plenty of money for engine upgrades(I would like to get around 450-500hp). I guess i was wondering if you could tell me some of the problems, if any, or perks with the engine or suspension in your 5.0 cobras. As i posted before, this car will see the strip as well as windy hillcountry roads.

venomous
02-18-2005, 12:38 PM
So im still inthe market for a cobra and the deal i found on the saleen s-281 sc is pretty awesome, maybe too awesome and that makes me weary. anyways, Ive only heard great things about the pushrod 5.0 and frankly the fastest mustangs on the strip are the 5.0's. purchasing a used 95 would leave me with plenty of money for engine upgrades(I would like to get around 450-500hp). I guess i was wondering if you could tell me some of the problems, if any, or perks with the engine or suspension in your 5.0 cobras. As i posted before, this car will see the strip as well as windy hillcountry roads.
The Stock 5.0 motor should see a MAXIMUM of 450-500 hp. Even this could be dangerous. You should try to get the block strengthened some how. The Stock 5.0 cobra motor is not the most powerful ofthe cobra motors, but with some mods, you could definetly be at the top!

RF Cobra
02-18-2005, 06:45 PM
A few years back several articles were written on 5.0 owners with twin turbo setups in stock engines producing 600 hp. It can be done if everything is tuned properly and there is probably little room for error at that level. I can not remember the ages of them as to whether or not they had the forged pistons.

jack
02-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I bought my 03 cobra six months ago for 24000. It had 8000 miles and in great shape. If you are going to s/c it anyway i would say a little more money up and find a 03. If you s/c a older cobra you will have close to what i have spent.