PDA

View Full Version : Concerning open tracks...

Yeller'
01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey all, I have an honest question...

Before I start let me state I am attending all four 411 Autocrosses and CMP this year. I will also be attending NASA's HPDE at Road Atlanta on 8/13.

Why don't we have more open track dates scheduled down South? I mean there's Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Rockingham, Nashville, Atlanta Speedway, Talladega Grand Prix. Plus many other tracks I'm probably unaware of.

We need more southern open track days. Is it harder to put together than I imagine or something? I'm sure there's more to it than I understand. Fill me in.

Gingerman and the open track days up North/out West are great and all but it's just too far to drive. The vast bulk of SCMC (I imagine) are Southerners... so we need more Southern open track days. :D

Just a little constructive criticism. :)

Firme
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
:hello: what about TWS???? :doubt:

2.9 miles and FAST I was hitting 135mph on the front straight this past year.

beerkat
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
My guess is that one getting track dates is pretty hard to do and two they are very expensive.

I also belong to NASA and have run my Lightning in the pass. I hope to do Roebling Road this year with my Cobra. I know that I will do at least one 411 and I have already signed up for CMP. This is my first time at CMP with my Cobra I have done the last two SCMC events there with my L.

As for Road Atlanta I am not ready to meet one of their walls. I will stick to tracks with a lots of run off room.:thumbsup:

You may find that doing HPDEs very expensive in themselves when you start going through pads,rotors, and tires. Not to mention the cost of a engine or other parts when you break your car.

cobrabitn
01-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I think I'm qualified to answer this one for you Bretty.... :rotf:

First and foremost, you have to have the money for a down payment. At Road Atlanta, if the down payment is 25%, that would make it about $6,000.00 because it cost $24,000.00 to rent Road Atlanta for the weekend. Other tracks can be considerd like Roebling Road, etc... but you have to remember that if we are to grow as a club, we just can't do everything in the southeast. You have to spread your money around so your organization can grow everywhere and not just in one portion of the country. How do you think other members would feel that we have everything in the SE and nothing in their area? They wouldn't want to be a member and they would say "hey, nothing is happening over here so I may as well drop out."

Next, you have to have enough participants to pay for the track and we didn't do that in the Lone Star last year so we are sort of at a halt there. The MI event was a break even event but we need to work on TWS for 2005.

Now, you have to make out registration forms, collect the fees, advertise the event, make the bank deposit, get the insurance, find instructors, design and order the shirts. Then there's the actual event logistics that you have to take care of. Order the windshield decals, group the participants, and a lot more.... Who's going to do all of that?

Personally, I go to an SCMC event almost every other weekend somewhere and sometimes 4 weekends in a row. We have more events in the SE then anywhere else. Look at your line up for this year. 4 autocrosses, one open track in SC, dragon run, 6 car shows, one open track in MI. (Do the math, MI is not that far from Knoxville and I'm going up there from SC this year and would have went last year if I had the vacation time).

Then you have to find a date at the track. Would you like to go to VIR in January when it is freezing? How about Road Atlanta in July? Or even Roebling Road in August when the heat index is well above 120 degrees? Think you want to subject your car to that heat and then drive it home for 7 hours? Other clubs have the primo dates just like we do at Gingerman.

It's more then just saying "hey, let's go rent a track?" The biggest thing is having the event pay for itself. If we had 20 track events and they all paid for themselves, then we would have them every year. However, we don't and so we don't. Also, there's only a handful of us that are willing or even have the time to organize.

I would be up for Nashville, but we only have a handful of members there and others have told me they would rather run Gingerman then Nashville Superspeedway. Go to MI this year and you will see why.

Knoxville to South Haven, MI = 555 miles (Gingerman Raceway)
Knoxville to Savannah, GA = 416 miles (Roebling Road)

Still think it is a big difference in driving? I used to drive 560 miles a night and it took me less than 10 hours in a 18 wheeler. In a car you could do Gingerman in 9 hours max. So you leave the house at 6:00 a.m. and you are there at 4:00 p.m. with breaks and gas stops.

Now you have another SCMC event to make. . :) I hope that helps to explain it a little better for you?

Tony

johnbasf
01-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I'd also like to chime in. Our events are cheaper at CMP for members than ANY OTHER group that runs there. Look at how many members have signed up so far. It's easy to say do more but we have to support the ones we're doing now. I'm looking at more tracks for next year but we need to make the '05 dates work first. Brett, try rounding up more support for CMP so we can do other tracks.

We also need help getting the word out about how much more track time you get at our events. I ran with NASA for 2 1/2 years and never got as much track time as I do with the SCMC. This is not a flame at NASA it's just a fact. Go to other boards and let them know about the SCMC track days.

Thanks

Yeller'
01-21-2005, 10:34 AM
At Road Atlanta, if the down payment is 25%, that would make it about $6,000.00 because it cost $24,000.00 to rent Road Atlanta for the weekend.
Ho..
lee..
Crap.

That is unreal, I had no idea it was that much.

Now, you have to make out registration forms, collect the fees, advertise the event, make the bank deposit, get the insurance, find instructors, design and order the shirts. Then there's the actual event logistics that you have to take care of. Order the windshield decals, group the participants, and a lot more.... Who's going to do all of that?

You. :D

Just kidding, you already do more than any mortal man could pull off. I figured it was alot of work but it sounds like it's even waaay more than I imagined. Dammit! If only we were all rich and could quit these jobs... we would have plenty of time to organize. :(

Then you have to find a date at the track. Would you like to go to VIR in January when it is freezing? How about Road Atlanta in July? Other clubs have the primo dates just like we do at Gingerman.

I guess you're right, I failed to consider that SCMC is not the only car club that tries to rent tracks, now that I think about it, I guess once a car club gets an annual "spot" at a track they damn well better hang onto it cause' there probably are other clubs just waiting to snatch the date up!

It's more then just saying "hey, let's go rent a track?"

I figured it was, I guess my thread title should have read "What all goes into getting an open track event sheduled"... I didn't mean to come off sounding like an A-hole.

It's just that given the choice between doing events with the SCMC or NASA, I would obviously much rather do them with the SCMC... but our Southern open track events are limited. I guess what I lack is the patience to let the club grow, in time I have no doubt that we will have two or three open track events down South.

I mean look at the 411 Speedway events, that went from a one time "idea" to a four event a year Monstrosity attracting many different makes/models.

Pretty Impressive.

The biggest thing is having the event pay for itself. If we had 20 track events and they all paid for themselves, then we would have them every year. However, we don't and so we don't. Also, there's only a handful of us that are willing or even have the time to organize.

As the club grows this may become possible. In time I suppose... in time.
~~Rubs hands in rabid anticipation~~

Go to MI this year.

Okay okay. I'll make the drive. This would have been alot easier before I got married.

Someone should have warned me that the whole "marriage "bit" cut into track time.:p Maybe I can bribe her with that new camera she's been wanting... you know, the ole' bait-and-switch.

I hope that helps to explain it a little better for you?

Definately, thanks Tony.

Hazman
01-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Solution: Let her drive the Cobra!!!
New Problem: Oh wait that can cut into your track time also because you both cannot drive at the same time.
Solution: Buy a second fast car!!
New Problem: You have to prep two cars for track days!!
Solution: Teach her to do the prep....Yeah Right

Yeller'
01-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Solution: Let her drive the Cobra!!

Yeah right.

She's already wrecked our new Taurus twice! Backed into a Lexus once and a cement pole once again.

Her old Saturn had the front end smashed up, rear end smashed up, she just runs into things at random. When she was younger she drove through... THROUGH the glass doors of her parents house and into the den. :eek:

Baaaad idea. I love her but she can't drive for shee-ot!

arellanoz
01-21-2005, 02:06 PM
que tal amigo!,sabes yo soy de mexico y que mal que en estados unidos los policias sean unos malditos, digo por lo que escucho casi no les abren las pistas para arrancones, eso es malo, haya por cualquier modificacion al auto veo que los paran y las infracciones son un poco caras, lo bueno aqui en mexico que puedes traer tu auto como quieres, con las modificaciones que quieras incluso si son carros de autodromo no hay problema los policias como si nada, aqui las pistas las abren el viernes a las 7 de la noche y las cierran el domingo a la media noche, bueno saludos y esa era mi opinion!:thumbsup:

arellanoz
01-21-2005, 02:07 PM
:hello: what about TWS???? :doubt:

2.9 miles and FAST I was hitting 135mph on the front straight this past year.
:eek:         wow very fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnbasf
01-21-2005, 02:22 PM
que tal amigo!,sabes yo soy de mexico y que mal que en estados unidos los policias sean unos malditos, digo por lo que escucho casi no les abren las pistas para arrancones, eso es malo, haya por cualquier modificacion al auto veo que los paran y las infracciones son un poco caras, lo bueno aqui en mexico que puedes traer tu auto como quieres, con las modificaciones que quieras incluso si son carros de autodromo no hay problema los policias como si nada, aqui las pistas las abren el viernes a las 7 de la noche y las cierran el domingo a la media noche, bueno saludos y esa era mi opinion!:thumbsup:

English....
that so amigo!, you know I I am of mexico and that badly that in the United States the policias are damn ones, I say reason why I almost listen do not open the tracks to them for arrancones, that is bad, it has by any modification to the car I see that they stop them and the infractions are a little expensive, good aqui in mexico which you can bring your car as you want, with the modifications that you even want if the policias are cars of autodromo is no problem as if nothing, aqui the tracks opens Friday at night to them to 7 and they close Sunday to the average night, good greetings and that was my opinion! :thumbsup: Gotta love Google :D

cobrabitn
01-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Brett,

I didn't think you were coming off in a negative way at all. I think it is good that members see that putting on events takes a lot of work, time, and energy. I'm not the only one that puts forth an effort. Rick and Jayne help with the autocross, Steve and Crystal and Amber and Jason help with the car show, and Jeff helps with the dragon (well, he pretends to anyway).

I agree with Rick 100%. You should let your wife drive at Gingerman. It's a school and she will learn to drive a little better if you let her go out in a controlled secure environment. She will be around fellow club members and they will help her I promise.

For the record, SCMC spent $41,000.00 last year on open track events and we are working on some more for in the future but we are just not going to jump in without at least taking in some discussion as to whether the event will benefit the club.

Thanks for showing a concern for our organization. :thumbsup: