PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Air Injection System Code on OBD

csawyer
01-23-2005, 01:35 PM
This is the 2nd time in the last 3 months on my newly acquired '96 Cobra Vert (32k miles) that a code of "DTC PO411" Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow has come up, causing the "check engine" light to come on. Both times my friendly Discount Autozone dealer has been able to diagnose on his OBD tester, and then erase the code.

Any ideas on what is causing this before I take to the Ford dealer and spend some $$ to really figure out what is going on?

Thanks.

Curt
Orlando
'96 Laser Red Vert

smashedheadcat
01-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I think if you get the code for it, then the actuator has gone bad. I don't remember off hand what they cost. 97caspercobra made a tech article that shows what's involved in cleaning the IMRC's, but it also shows the location of the actuator. Great read. Click Here to read the article (http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf)

Josh

SNAKEYE
01-24-2005, 09:07 AM
I think if you get the code for it, then the actuator has gone bad. I don't remember off hand what they cost. 97caspercobra made a tech article that shows what's involved in cleaning the IMRC's, but it also shows the location of the actuator. Great read. Click Here to read the article (http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf)

JoshWhat exactly does the IMRC have to do with secondary air injection?
Absolutely nothing!
Secondary air injection is a system that pumps air (the pump is electric, located in the right fender) into the exhaust system when the engine is cold to cut back on cold engine emissions. I haven't had a problem with mine yet, so I have no 'hands-on' experience (although my 98 VW just popped the P0411 the other day, so I'll be studying up on the subject shortly!). Send me a PM and I'll pull info from the service manual and send it to you. I may just gain some insight to my VW's problem in the process. Without a service manual you won't know where to begin. Perhaps one of those labels pasted under the nose of the hood has a diagram to start you off.

smashedheadcat
01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
What exactly does the IMRC have to do with secondary air injection?
Absolutely nothing!

I obviously misread the post..... Aren't you quite the nice guy.

Firme
01-24-2005, 02:12 PM
the SCMC forums are run with the intent of friendly conversation and sharing of info... :) there are plenty of other boards out there where one can get treated rudely, we don't need to be one of them ;)

lets all play nice and have fun.. :bounce:

smashedheadcat
01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
the SCMC forums are run with the intent of friendly conversation and sharing of info... :) there are plenty of other boards out there where one can get treated rudely, we don't need to be one of them ;)

lets all play nice and have fun.. :bounce:

I'm not upset Firme, I just misread the first post..... It could have been handled a little different, but no biggie. :thumbsup:

Firme
01-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I was just throwing that out there just in case there was confusion. :D

Sorry to go OT csawyer

SNAKEYE
01-26-2005, 08:55 AM
I obviously misread the post..... Aren't you quite the nice guy.
I didn't!

smashedheadcat
01-26-2005, 09:11 AM
I didn't!

You obviously didn't, and you're damn proud of it too I see. :rolleyes:

tcrews
01-26-2005, 02:53 PM
What mods are on your car? A lot of people put headers on and don't connect the secondary air-injection pump back to the headers which will throw the code. It won't cause you to lose any performance, and if you don't have cats on the car (running an offroad pipe) than it doesn't do anything for you anyway.

Give some more details on the car and what mods you have on it.

This is the 2nd time in the last 3 months on my newly acquired '96 Cobra Vert (32k miles) that a code of "DTC PO411" Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow has come up, causing the "check engine" light to come on. Both times my friendly Discount Autozone dealer has been able to diagnose on his OBD tester, and then erase the code.

Any ideas on what is causing this before I take to the Ford dealer and spend some $$ to really figure out what is going on?

Thanks.

Curt
Orlando
'96 Laser Red Vert

SNAKEYE
01-27-2005, 09:02 AM
You obviously didn't, and you're damn proud of it too I see. :rolleyes:
I am not proud of it at all!
The original post did not ever mention the IMRC, or anything related to the IMRC.
It specifically mentions '"DTC PO411" Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow'.
I simply straightened out the record before the poor guy was riping his intake manifold off to get to the IMRC's.

tcrews
01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Okay, this thread is done so I'm sticking a fork in it.

The small little jabs going back and forth has no bearing on the original question and serves no purpose.