PDA

View Full Version : saleen s281 vs. cobra

The Gord
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm getting closer to purchasing my cobra and have another option. I found a 2001 cobra in good shape and a 2000 saleen s281(belongs to a friend of a friend) also in good shape for the same price. any opinions?

venomous
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
SALEEN ALL THE WAY!!!!! :thumbsup:

johnbasf
01-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Does the Saleen have a blower?

Firme
01-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Does the Saleen have a blower?

I agree.. Saleen if it has a Blower... Cobra if the Saleen is N/A

NewFoundPower
01-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Let me just give you my opinion since I have owned a Saleen and a Cobra. I really liked the looks and handling of my Saleen but just wasn;t overly impressed with the craftsmanship of the car. I could never keep centercaps in the rims. They were continually falling out. I ordered over 4 sets of them during the year I had the car. I have even been to dealerships that havd had BRAND NEW Saleens on the lot and guess what? No centercaps. The ground effects were loose, the rear spoiler was coming off, etc. Not what you expect from a $40,000+ car. Did it drive like a dream? Yes. Did it handle like it was on rails? Yes. Would I ever buy another one? Doubt it. Not saying Saleen is not a good company but you have to take into consideration that things become less dependable when they have aftermarket parts put on them (bodykit, etc.). Just my opinion. Maybe I just got the anomaly but one of the best days of my life was when somebody bought it from me and I watched it drive away.

-D-

InfamousSVT
01-26-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree.. Saleen if it has a Blower... Cobra if the Saleen is N/A
Have to agree here!

I like the looks of the Saleen, but if it isn't a Saleen Extreme (S/C) then I'd go with the Cobra!
John a friend of mine has a 2002 Saleen Extreme, it's pretty sweet looking!

I guess it all depends on what you want SHOW or GO?:D

venomnous99
01-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Well this is just my opinion, but I would take the Cobra! I have owned 2 Saleen's, although they were older models. But at present time my dad has a 2000 Saleen and it is supercharged. Now of course, like was said earlier, it does depend on what you are looking for in the long run. For the price, Saleen, less produced and holds value better. But for the long run, Cobra. Why? Well, from a dead stop on a country road, I have actually pulled away, very slightly from the Saleen in my Cobra. Next, when you get the Saleen its done, whereas for a few bucks, you can have car that will outrun and outhandle a Saleen. :bounce: This just my opinion. As far as the quality, I never had any major problems with the Saleens, and neither has my dad.

The Gord
01-28-2005, 01:01 PM
the saleen is supercharged. I will still have some money to work on either the cobra or the saleen. the saleen is a 2valve vs. the 4valve cobra motor. Ill be putting most of the money into the motor since the suspension/exhaust is pretty much taken care of in the saleen (I think). I still like the cobra because it is still Ford parts not aftermarket like the saleen.

InfamousSVT
01-28-2005, 03:53 PM
the saleen is supercharged. I will still have some money to work on either the cobra or the saleen. the saleen is a 2valve vs. the 4valve cobra motor. Ill be putting most of the money into the motor since the suspension/exhaust is pretty much taken care of in the saleen (I think). I still like the cobra because it is still Ford parts not aftermarket like the saleen.It's all on preference!
The saleen has the solid rear axle and the suspension is already taken care of for the most part! The Cobra has the IRS which if you want to get rid of the wheel hop needs delrin/urethane bushings put all through the IRS!
The Saleen Exhaust sounds good and I believe is made by Magnaflow (saleen name though), the Cobra exhaust will need to be replaced to get rid of the restricted stock piping.
The "stock" Saleen Extreme (supercharge saleen) has around 445 hp the 03/04 Cobra has 390 hp!
The Saleen supercharger is made by Whipple (think) and has better performance then the stock Cobra Eaton!

I'm not the one owning the car, but if it where me I'd go with the Cobra, there's just more fun in upgrading a car, it all depends on what you what!

Plus if you get a Cobra, you can join the SCMC!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ausie
01-30-2005, 10:16 AM
For starters, the 390 hp/ 390 ft-lb is a Ford SAE number and not the actual Hp or torque value. It all depends on how Saleen rates the hp figures. If you were to take a stock motor out of an 03/04 and place it on an engine dyno the figures would jump up to about 483Hp and 427ft-lb. Once you factor in the restrictive exhaust and air inltet tubing the numbers will drop a bit lower. That is not the rear-wheel number but fly wheel figures. A good free flowing exhaust (including long tube headers, and a less restrictive intake would free up some lost hp and torque to 501hp and 461ft-lb [mm&ff]). Changing the pully will add much more. The earlier Saleens use an Eaton M90 supercharger (1999 S-281), followed by the S-351 which used a Vortech. The s-281E (extreme) did employ the Lysholm twin screw SC (2002) and then finaly the 2003 used much of the same stuff but with a smaller pully. And yes the extreme uses a whipplecharger, I found a link to Saleen on the whipplecharger web site. Ford seems to be the only one to offer the M112 Eaton. My guess would be that the Saleen has the Eaton M90 on it since it is a 2000.

z28What
02-03-2005, 06:45 PM
I Just sold my cobra and I just recently purchased a Saleen S-281...I love the saleen, its such a good looking car and attracts a lot of attention..Mines lowered, few modifications..awaiting Nitrous setup :cool: ..But if I had to choose, which I DID..I would do as I did, go with the Saleen, now if its an 03 cobra..Id go with the 03, but Id take the saleen over the 01 anyday of the week...Thast just my opinion..But u see what Im driving ;)

Blake

z28What
02-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Let me just give you my opinion since I have owned a Saleen and a Cobra. I really liked the looks and handling of my Saleen but just wasn;t overly impressed with the craftsmanship of the car. I could never keep centercaps in the rims. They were continually falling out. I ordered over 4 sets of them during the year I had the car. I have even been to dealerships that havd had BRAND NEW Saleens on the lot and guess what? No centercaps.

-D-
I am on my damn second set of centercaps for the Saleen wheels, mine fall out a lot too..So I put some non saleen centercaps in to solve the problem..and sure enough they do, but I dont have the saleen symbol..It says Zoro now..lmao, dont ask!

cobrabitn
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
My signature says it all as far as my choice. :)

crunchit
02-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Well the numbers pretty much say it all...

Upper 30's for the 03/04 Terminators
Low 60's for the 04 Saleen extreme.

I wonder what this gang of die-hard cobra fans could do with $25,000 dollars in mods?
Just my .02:)

ausie
02-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I could use the extra 25 grand and pay off my Ford loan :D and still have a great car without modifications. :thumbsup:

RF Cobra
02-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Well the numbers pretty much say it all...

Upper 30's for the 03/04 Terminators
Low 60's for the 04 Saleen extreme.

I wonder what this gang of die-hard cobra fans could do with $25,000 dollars in mods?
Just my .02:)

Well for $14k (less if you don't do the cosmetic stuff) you can get the SVT/FRPP 03/04 mods that give you 690 hp and 620 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel and still have money left! :D

ausie
02-06-2005, 09:56 AM
thanks, that is a source I forgot about, I will have to take a look at the FRPP once again.

It seems this threat blew up a bit since the comparison was for 2001 Saleen S281 and a 2001 SVT Cobra. If you have not picked up the vehicle or made up your mind on which one to choose from. I would compare factory specs on both vehivles, evaluate how many of that year were built, etc. Saleens will hold their value if left untouched and depending on what version it is. Since the Saleen has a blower on it (if stock it will be the Eaton M90 which was used on the S-281R) should boast about 350 Hp. Compare that to a 01/99 Cobra's 320hp, I would go with the Saleen S-281R. My biggest complaint of the 01 was lack of torque at the low end and I suffered from blower envy so I traded for an 04.

The Gord
02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Im starting to lean more towards the saleen beacuse it is such a good price for the car. I like all of the suspension and exhaust work on the saleen. It keeps me from having to deal with these neccessities (more money for the motor). I also have a ton of questions about the 4v cobra motor. has anyone played with their cams on this motor?