PDA

View Full Version : Bassani vs. Mac - opinions please

LoveMyCobra
01-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Please share your opinions/experiences. I see a lot of Bassani happiness, but was curious if Mac is a decent product even though it's $400 less. Just want to make sure that extra $400 isn't just for the name...

I'm interested in performance primarily, sound secondarily - although a close second so it is important.

I'm comparing pricing on rpmoutlet.com

Mac:
Catback - $390
ProChamber - $200

Bassani combo:
Catback and X-pipe - $1030

Also, when do you need the O2 simulators? If I plan to go with a Predator flash tuner, do I still need the simulators?

Thanks for the input!

Rob
'03 Yellow vert
bone stock - for now!

InfamousSVT
01-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm interested in performance primarily, sound secondarily - although a close second so it is important.

Also, when do you need the O2 simulators? If I plan to go with a Predator flash tuner, do I still need the simulators?

As my sig states I have the full Bassani system on mine and I love it! I haven't had a dyno done after the installation yet but I will be getting that done soon! For the sound, it's the sound I've been looking for in my Cobra (sounds differ on preference)!
I've heard good and bad things about the MAC systems! I have heard that they don't seal sometimes which causes exhaust leaks, but the blackcoating on the entire exhaust will insure long durability!
If you do go with the MAC, the Prochamber are nice and I've had one on my Cobra before switching to the Bassani set-up. rmpoutlet doesn't sell the MAC prochamber with the hi-flow cats on it (according to the website) but they can probably get you one. The MAC 3" cat-back along with the Prochamber will sound loud and wicked. I've heard them on a GT, but never on a Cobra.

For the o2 MIL's, you will need these when you replace your mid-pipe. Replacing a cat-back you won't need them, but when switching to a Hi-flow cat or O/R mid-pipe you will need the MIL's to keep the check engine light from coming on or just have a tuner turn off the back o2 sensors.

Hope this helps!
-J

smashedheadcat
01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
The mac long tube headers had problems with welding slag being injested through the egr system and destroying cobra engines. I'm pretty sure this has been resolved, but I still wouldn't do it. I see that they offer "jet hot" coated headers, and I'm sure they'd be okay. Personally, I'd leave the headers alone, as they aren't showing gains on the dyno. But if you want them, I recommend a mid length header for ease of clutch installation.

Josh

NewFoundPower
01-29-2005, 03:52 PM
i've got a Bassani Catback with a MAC H-pipe with Hiflow cats. Love the sound!!

-D-

NO 5 OH
01-29-2005, 10:42 PM
The mac long tube headers had problems with welding slag being injested through the egr system and destroying cobra engines. I'm pretty sure this has been resolved, but I still wouldn't do it. I see that they offer "jet hot" coated headers, and I'm sure they'd be okay. Personally, I'd leave the headers alone, as they aren't showing gains on the dyno. But if you want them, I recommend a mid length header for ease of clutch installation.

They fixed that problem Josh... mine haven't used a drop of oil in nearly nine months now. Mine are the new ceramic coated finish and from the welds on the header tubes/flanges they were tig welded which leaves no weld splatter ;)

As far as what most people think about MAC... you'll get tons and tons of people that say they suck... Bassani is better. That's a matter of opinion. I have the full compliment of MAC exhaust on my car (long tubes, ProChamber and 3" catback) and am thoroughly pleased with the quality, fitment and sound. I get compliments on how it sounds all the time. The reason that Bassani costs so much is the material they use is 304 stainless steel... and stainless is more costly a material that mild steel. Stainless won't rust... but MAC coats all their new midpipes and catbacks with "DuraBlack" coating that protects the pipes from rusting and gives it a nice finish.

FWIW... I put headers, ProChamber and 3" Flowpath catback on my car cheaper than what a Bassani x-pipe and catback cost. Not saying Bassani doesn't make a good product (which they do) but their cost was a little bit more than what I wanted to pay.

HTH,

Shannon

InfamousSVT
01-30-2005, 09:46 PM
So what are you saying Shannon, I paid too much??:D :rotf:

NO 5 OH
01-31-2005, 02:41 AM
So what are you saying Shannon, I paid too much??:D :rotf:

No... I never said that. That's something you inferred ;)

Just think... the money you could have saved on exhaust could have went towards that "black supercharger option" you've been wanting :p

J/K

Shannon

InfamousSVT
01-31-2005, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I know I'll be getting it soon! Hopefully by the end of the year!!:thumbsup:
Also, going to get me a set of Crower Cams for the Cobra too! That will give me an additional 40rwhp!!:D

~you've got mail~