PDA

View Full Version : New Stang owner

edswhite99
01-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Hello. Just wanted to say hello and hopefully get some info from you guys. I just purchased a 99 Cobra. It has 36k and is in prestine condition. It currently has NO engine/exhaust mods except for a TSB the orig. owner had done to it a while back where Ford did something to the factory exhaust to pep things up a bit. Where should I start when it comes to modding the car? I really want to improve the sound and slightly improve hp/tq. What exhaust setup sounds best on the 99's?

cobrabitn
01-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Ed,

Any name brand exhaust will help you gain hp on your stock 99 Cobra. Here's what I would recommend to give you another 25-30 rwhp:

Steeda underdrive pullies www.steeda.com
Steeda IRS Bushings www.steeda.com
Kenny Brown Strut Tower brace www.kennybrown.com
Kenny Brown Sport Lowering Springs www.kennybrown.com
Kenny Brown cold air ducts www.kennybrown.com
MAC OR H-pipe www.50resto.com
MAC Catback www.50resto.com
MIL eliminators www.dallasmustang.com
JLT Cold air kit www.jlttruecoldair.com or
WMS CAI www.wmsracing.com

Your stock Cobra with the "fix" will have in between 270 and 275 rwhp and about 5 more ft lbs of torque then hp. These mods will get you another 25-35 rwhp and tq. If you need more then I would get a custom tune to eek out a few more ponies. If you need even more then that, you will need a supercharger or nitrous. :thumbsup:

Lastly, consider joining our club so you cantake advantage of our vendor discounts and learn more about your snake. Welcome to the SCMC BB :)

Abneriel
01-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Personally, I would start with gears. Gears will give you a much better bang for the buck than a few HP

If you're staying N/A, no less than 4.30's with 4.56's being optimal

If you aren't staying N/A I recommend 4.10s.

Don't worry about gas mileage. I get 28 MPG in mine with 4.30s (on the freeway). Bob Cosby got 28 MPG in his on a freeway trip with 4.56s.

edswhite99
02-06-2005, 08:08 PM
What would 4.10's do to top speed? Also, wouldn't 1st gear be useless?

Abneriel
03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
4.10s would increase your top end speed due to 5th gear being in its powerband.

first gear on mine seems to run out at ~30mph with 4.30s...I still use it everyday!