PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes HELP!

casey99COBRA
02-04-2005, 02:49 AM
I just striped 2 brake compressors :cuss: trying to compress the hydraulic for the rear after doing my kenny brown spring install (which are real nice, thanks tony). I can't even get the the hydraulic to move. The E brake was not on, and i bled the system from the caliper (only a few drops came out, and i had the cap off the brake fluid resivor) so i'm assuming all the air was out. is there something i'm missing here? I know we can take in consideration that the caliper is no good, but i do not think that is the case. From what i understand on other vehicles the hydraulic can turn like a screw instead of compression. If this were the case is there a special tool you need in order to turn it ? Help please!

ausie
02-04-2005, 07:38 AM
You are correct that the piston in the rear caliper rotates. What you did was right, you need to compress it first and it probably will not move much (it does move in and out as well as has a latching rotation for adjustment for the parking brake. Then the piston must be rotated (I think clockwise) so that you have room for the new pads etc. When I changed my rear pads on the 01, the piston rotated by hand with a little bit of effort (not sure if I had to engage the parking brake partially to get it to rotate or not, it has been a while since I worked on the brakes so I could be mixing that up with another vehicle since I have changed brake pads on many different makes of vehicles). I do recall on either this forum or another that there is a ford tool number for the tool to rotate the pistons back into place. The hard part is getting the caliper back on due to the compression springs on the pads (you almost need two people to do it , real pain in the "A").

ausie
02-04-2005, 07:57 AM
I just reviewed a "how to" thread on another forum listed below. The last section deals with the rear brake calipers (the first part can be ignored since it is for non Cobra calipers on the front). I did compress the rears eventhough it says not to. The pistons will not move much if the piston is rotated all the way out. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/brakepad1.htm

ausie
02-04-2005, 08:18 AM
oops! I did the same thing , but the rear should not be compressed or you may crack the housing of the caliper. Compression is not a good thing I did it too the first time I changed the brakes so I was wrong is stating that it needs to be compressed. I was looking for another thread on the rear brake caliper re-seat but could not find any other information. You may be able to get the caliper tool at a parts shop. That is something I should invest in too.

SNAKEYE
02-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I just striped 2 brake compressors :cuss: trying to compress the hydraulic for the rear after doing my kenny brown spring install (which are real nice, thanks tony). I can't even get the the hydraulic to move. The E brake was not on, and i bled the system from the caliper (only a few drops came out, and i had the cap off the brake fluid resivor) so i'm assuming all the air was out. is there something i'm missing here? I know we can take in consideration that the caliper is no good, but i do not think that is the case. From what i understand on other vehicles the hydraulic can turn like a screw instead of compression. If this were the case is there a special tool you need in order to turn it ? Help please!
I don't have hands-on knowledge of our Cobra's rear brakes, but I did another car I have rear disc brakes whose E-brake uses the piston (not an independent set of shoe brakes within the hub). The piston rotates. I rented (for free,you deposit the cost of the tool and get your deposit back when you return it) a tool from AutoZone that has a screw thread (like a steering wheel puller) with a set interchangable discs (for use with various manufactures pistons)on the business end. The disc has two pins on the face that engage the notches in the edge or holes in the face of the piston, then as the screw threw is rotated and advances, the piston rotates and goes back where it can from. Slick!

96MysticSVT
02-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Harbor Freight sells a Disc Brake Caliper Tool Kit for $40. I bought one to use on my cars when I had to do the rear brakes on my Cobra. It works great on the pistons that must be rotated and compressed.

The HF part number is 40732-0VGA
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos//40700-40799/40732-t.gif

cobrabitn
02-05-2005, 12:35 AM
As stated above... go to Autozone and rent the tool for free. I always do. :D

casey99COBRA
02-06-2005, 11:13 AM
thanks guys!

wrenchturner
02-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Harbor Freight sells a Disc Brake Caliper Tool Kit for $40. I bought one to use on my cars when I had to do the rear brakes on my Cobra. It works great on the pistons that must be rotated and compressed.

SInce I turn wrenchs for a living I thought I'd chime in on this tool.. Its in my box... works awesome on all rears that need the rotation.....

SNAKEYE
02-07-2005, 08:47 AM

That's the same one I rented for free when I did the one rear disc pad replacement job I had to do. Slicker'n snott!