PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with an FRRP question

secondchance
02-04-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a question that you might be able to help answer. I have a stock '03 Cobra and I'm am planning to make a few changes. I have been looking at several vendors including Ford Racing Performance Parts. I found their catalog very interesting but it contains a few statements that make me uneasy about doing business with FRRP.

on page 2
"ford racing parts are sold "as is". "with all faults", "as they stand" and without any express warranty whatsoever ... the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, shall assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing and/or repair."

on page 3
"Ford Racing Performance Parts is proud of the quality built into each and every product we sell. Automotive enthusiasts know the it's one thing for a manufacturer to make claims about quality but quit another to back them up."

What is the scoop on FRRP? Has anyone gotten stuck or is this just another case of Mega-Corporation with too many lawyers?

Thanks

secondChance

jack
02-04-2005, 11:04 PM
I would say it depends on the dealer you are dealing with. I bought a 8.8 rear end complete from end to end. It lasted about 40 miles before it started making noise. I called the dealer i bought it from and they gave me a number at ford to talk to them. The factory was not much help except to blame me for everything. Got back in touch with the dealer and they sent a tech to look at it. He said the rear end was not set up right and replaced it with no more problems. So talk to your area dealer and see if they will be helpful if you have problems. As far as the double talk probably just covering there tail.

secondchance
02-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Jack,
Thanks for sharing your FRPP experience. I'll check out my local dealer. With any sort of warranty question car mfgs. seem to go immediately into hardball mode. I'm happy it worked out OK for you.

Looking through the FRPP catalog, just about everthing is marked "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles". In some cases it makes sense but for a strut tower brace etc. it seems a bit silly. I want to keep my car emissions legal but the restriction is used so liberally that it becomes meaningless. I guess its the lawyers again. Any comments?

secondchance

jack
02-06-2005, 12:19 AM
I would say if its not a emissions type of part, i would not sweat it. I dont think the testing stations would fail you on the strut bar. Now if it is a engine part i would not use it if your area has emission testing. Look for the legal part someone will make it.

RF Cobra
02-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Jack,

Looking through the FRPP catalog, just about everthing is marked "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles". In some cases it makes sense but for a strut tower brace etc. it seems a bit silly. I want to keep my car emissions legal but the restriction is used so liberally that it becomes meaningless. I guess its the lawyers again. Any comments?

secondchance
Basically it is done to cover Ford. I have used parts in the past on my Tbird and was able to pass emissions since they could have but did not change the engine's operation enough to make it fail. However, since the possibility does exist for them to cause it to fail they slap it on just to be safe. They also put it on other items if they feel there is any possibility that area might also regulate those components in the future, again to cover themselves from any potential liability down the road. If you know a good mechanic that is knowledgeable in this area they can help you in determining whether or not the part will cause you problems.

secondchance
02-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your help. I was guessing that there was alot of CYA in the FRPP catalog but thought I would ask advice first.