PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to go to a dealer for a 2nd Key???

97Cobra
02-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Hello All,

Since I imagine some of you have knowledge about Ford dealers and such, I figured you might know about this:

When I bought my Cobra, it had one set of key/keyless remote. I ordered another remote off eBay and have it reprogrammed and working.

Now, since I have only the 1 key, dealers say I have to have them program the computer. Is that true, or can I do it myself. I would rather not pay them the $100 bucks. I can get uncut transponder keys off eBay as well for cheaper then the dealer. I know if you have 2 keys and want to add more, that is easy and in the owners manual. It gets a little trickier if you only have the 1, so it appears.

Anyone ever done this before? Know if I can do it myself?

Thanks,
~Erik

InfamousSVT
02-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I've never programmed one myself, but when I got my second keyless entry remote. You just need to turn the key on (not the car) and it should relay a signal to the remote to activate it to your cars computer! For the key, that has to be done by Ford. The keys have a chip in them and it all has to be programmed in, it'll take Ford about 30 mins. to do!:) Hope this helps!

This is what I had to do for my 04, the dealer only had 1 key and they had to program a second key and remote for me.

97Cobra
02-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Yeah ... programming the remote was easy. I carry the 2nd remote with me just incase I lock my other keys in it or something.

Sounds like I may have to fork over some $$$ to get the Ford dealer to program the 2nd key for me ... BUMMER. :(

~Erik

ausie
02-06-2005, 11:03 AM
From what I recall, to program the key, you need the original key first. There is a specific sequence you perform with the old key, then remove it and withing a time period you insert the new key. The ECU will support up to 4 new keys and after that it will no longer allow new keys to be programmed. I will do a search on that link for instructions how to do it and if I find it I will post it.

casey99COBRA
02-06-2005, 11:08 AM
From what I recall, to program the key, you need the original key first. There is a specific sequence you perform with the old key, then remove it and withing a time period you insert the new key. The ECU will support up to 4 new keys and after that it will no longer allow new keys to be programmed. I will do a search on that link for instructions how to do it and if I find it I will post it.that would be some good info there aus that i'd like to know.:)

ausie
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
The information is in the manual provided under the "locks and security section". With the 04 a maximun of 8 keys may be programmed (which is the same for the earlier years, although I thought was maxed at 4). Apparently the instructions require you to have both original keys as a security measure since most parking attendents or valet parking do not get both keys when they park your car. The only means without both keys would be to get it done by the dealer. If you do not have a manual the process is as follows:

1. insert one of the original keys into the ignition
2. turn the key to the key on position for a period of 1 second to a max of 10 seconds.
3. return the key to the off position and remove it.
4. within 10 seconds of removing the first key, insert the other key into the ignition
5. turn the key to the key on position for a period of 1 to 10 seconds
6. turn the key to the off position and remove the second key
7. within 20 seconds insert the uncoded key
8. turn the key to the key on position for a minimum of 1 second.

if the key was coded successfully, the key will start the engine and the theft indicator should flash for 3 seconds. if not the car will not start and the anti-theft will flash rapidly. The point is you need two coded keys to program another key. They do not need to be the original keys but they need to be coded by the trasponder in your ignition. I doupt that one key would work since they each have a different code embedded into the chip of the key which is also stored in the ECU. You will not be able to fool it by using only one key.
:rolleyes: oh well, I guess you need to go to Ford if you only have one key. I am not sure if some flash programmers will work with only one key. I do recall that some may allow you to change the number of keys that can be programmed. If anyone has a tuner, check to see if key programming can be done with only one original key. A tuner/programmer will cost you far more than the $100 fee from ford. But if you already have one, check the tuner manual for key programming.

crunchit
02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Ford charged me $35.00 for the new key and $37.00 for the reprogram. Even if I had known this back then, I still only had one key.

97Cobra
02-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Guys (and Gals),

I got this link off another forum I posted this question on:
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php
... I also got my Ford Service Manual, and that is the same description.

It appears 96, 97 and early 98's only need 1 key, as they are on the PATS I system. So, I have already got my keys coming and will cut and program them in later! :D

Now, 98's and up are on the PATS II system, which requires 2 PATS keys instead of on.

Hope this helps everyone!

~Erik