PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust system not loud enough!

csawyer
02-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Folks,

I've had my 96' Cobra Vert for 3 months now; I'm enjoying the heck out of it, especially here in sunny Orlando.

However, the one original owner kept it bone stock. The stock exhaust, though better than most stock exhausts, is obviously way too subdued and quiet.

My "quick" solution to tide me over until more permanent improvements could be taken was to cut the two stock mufflers off, and replace them with 40 Series Flowmasters. The piping was in good shape, so I left it be, and also kept the stock tips.

The sound, though good, is still too quiet; I am pretty disappointed, but not sure what to do next. Can I get some advice from some of y'all, as to what I need to do next to really get that obnoxious, gnarly roar that I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Curt
'96 Laser Red Vert (33k miles)

InfamousSVT
02-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Even though you just replaced the mufflers the stock piping is still one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust!
The stock piping diameter is 2.25" round and at the bends you the pipe gets smaller. Your best benefit is for a mandrel bent after market cat-back that has a 2.5" mandrel bent diameter along with the mufflers. Mandrel bent is where the entire piping is the same diameter throughout the entire exhaust system without the crinks in the bends of the pipes!
You will be very pleased with a cat-back. The difference in the .25" pipe size will make a huge difference.

If this isn't good enough for you, just take off the cats and then everyone will hear you, but you won't beable to hear anything but you car!!:D :D :D

Hope this helps!

venomous
02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
An Off-Road H-Pipe or X-Pipe should satisfy you. :D

ausie
02-06-2005, 10:48 AM
not sure if this is streat legal, but you should opt for a cat-back that is modular in design so you can omit the mufflers entirely. Since you are in FL, you can omit the cats for the time being with an off road X-pipe. My car is not that loud but I surely get the attention of just about every cop in the area. So far I have not been pulled over for noise violations for inspection of my exhaust set up. I am lacking in sound quality since I still have the restrictive stock h-pipe in place.

nckissfan
02-06-2005, 04:50 PM
one word...... Bassani

2KWhiteSnake
02-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Go with an Off road H pipe and flowmaster cat-back. Part #17248 on the flowmasters cat back. You will scare the neighbors children with that setup.

Craig

InfamousSVT
02-07-2005, 02:54 AM
one word...... Bassani

:D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: