PDA

View Full Version : difference between long & shorty headers

edswhite99
02-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Besides length, what is the difference between the lt & shorty headers? Which provide a greater increase in n/a engines? Who makes the best headers?

InfamousSVT
02-08-2005, 02:44 AM
As far as headers, the LT won't benefit you unless you're over 500rwhp. I'm not too up-to date on the N/A Cobra's, but I've got the Bassani on my 04. I like the Bassani and I've only heard good things about them, except for their prices!:)

Someone else can chime in and let you know what they have done from experience!

dewone
02-08-2005, 08:41 AM
It was my understanding that you got more HP out of the LT vs Shorties regardless of being above 500 HP. Perhaps that holds true with the 1 3/4" vs 1 5/8" . In so far as advice into getting something on your car I would advise to look into a ceramic coated inside, and out for rust prevention,and most brands are mandrel bent another thing to watch for. Other than that how much do you want to spend, and what are you going to mod in the future.

Lumpydogs
02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
The long tube will result in more horsepower than the shorty headers.
Both will result in modest gains approx. (3 -5hp shorty & 5 - 10hp long tube)
on otherwise stock vehicles. For the money headers are not a good choice
for increasing horsepower by themselves on N/A cars. However, in
combination withother power adders and/or engine modifications the headers
can be worth substantial horsepower. Both header types will add a little
more throaty sound to the exhaust.

If your going to put the headers on yourself, good luck. The work is
basic hand tool stuff, but very very time consuming. I did mine by myself
in the garage on jack stands. You will need a large assortment of sockets
a various length extensions.

edswhite99
02-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. In regards to future upgrades that I want to make: 1. Upgrade exhaust - Mac o/r h pipe, Flowmasters, 2. CAI (JLT?) 3. Pulleys 4. Chip???

Speaking of performance chips, what's available for the 99's. Are chips worth the money or should I spend it elsewhere? Any chip particulary better than others?

InfamousSVT
02-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. In regards to future upgrades that I want to make: 1. Upgrade exhaust - Mac o/r h pipe, Flowmasters, 2. CAI (JLT?) 3. Pulleys 4. Chip???

Speaking of performance chips, what's available for the 99's. Are chips worth the money or should I spend it elsewhere? Any chip particulary better than others?
When getting a chip it's my understanding that for the best gain you want to get the modifications done first. Then go get a chip tuned to what you have on your car, this will just inhance the performance parts you have added!;)

-Jason

dewone
02-10-2005, 07:28 AM
I agree. Wait until you have done all you want mod wise. Also depending on the year of your car you may look at a self tuner. ie hypertech.

Lumpydogs
02-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Hold off on the chip. The mods you are making will not make a big difference
in the performance of your cobra. The stock chip will self adjust just fine.
In my opinion chips are not worth it until you have made significant forced
induction, intake or engine internal mods. Just my two cents.

edswhite99
02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Again guys, thanks for the information. I appreciate your advice and suggestions.

ProfChaos
05-24-2005, 10:20 PM
The stock chip will self-adjust just fine.
In my opinion, chips are not worth it until you have made significant forced
induction, intake or engine internal mods. Just my two cents.

My guess, then, is that K&N and CAI--I hear that there is not that big a difference between the two--would qualiify as significant mods, by your definition?...as in more air-flow, more h.p.

For my '96 with K&N and SuperChip, I'm considering going with ceramic-coated Ford Racing shorty headers, available at Mustangs Unlimited:

Ford Racing Ceramic-Coated Shorty Headers (http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M9430D465+01)

I understand, from information at the Mustangs Unlimited Web site, that to incorporate all four O-2 sensors in a system that has full-length headers, additional mods. to the exhaust are necessary, so that there will be sufficient ports/wiring harness fitment to insert all four O-2 sensors.

I'd like to go with full-length headers, as they are close to the same price as shorty headers and would provide a little more boost in h.p., but I'm not sure what exactly the expression "additional modifications required" means--perhaps a cut-and-paste job to the front of the existing cat-back, so that the sensor-mounts can be moved to sections after the full-length headers end.

Does anyone one know exactly how one goes about the reputed "additional modifications" with full-length headers so that MIL Eliminators and all four O-2 sensors can be mounted successfully?

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

dewone
05-25-2005, 07:16 AM
You will need to either get O2 extensions (reccommended) or splice the wire looms yourself to the rear O2 sensors. LT Headers will relocate the rear O2s further back causing the need for the extensions.

tcrews
05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Longtubes make more low-end and mid-range power and shorty headers make more top-end power.

I and a friend with very very similar mods except he had longtubes and I had shortys dyno-tuned together. I out horsepowered and out torqued him as far as peak numbers go but he out did me all in the mid-range area (more usable power).

Even N/A at a modest 250-260 + rwhp either shorty or long will give you gains. I am liking the new Bassani mid-lengths myself......kind of a cross between the two.

tnturbo
05-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Switching from stock manifolds with off road X pipe to longtube headers and off road X I gained just over 2mph in 1/8 mile times. I could honestly care less about the dyno numbers, but 2mph in the 1/8 is a gain you can feel. Best single mod I've done to my car as far as gaining mph.