PDA

View Full Version : Supercharge?

Lumpydogs
02-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I am seriously considering a supercharger for my '01 Cobra coupe.
Unfortunately I know of three different people that have turned their
engines into boat anchors or large paper weights with superchargers.
(None mustangs vehicles) For this reason, I am a little
nervous about blowing up my engine with boost.

Here is my question: Who is running what supercharger?
at what boost? for how many miles without problems? or did you have
problems?

Thank you in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
I am seriously considering a supercharger for my '01 Cobra coupe.
Unfortunately I know of three different people that have turned their
engines into boat anchors or large paper weights with superchargers.
(None mustangs vehicles) For this reason, I am a little
nervous about blowing up my engine with boost.

Here is my question: Who is running what supercharger?
at what boost? for how many miles without problems? or did you have
problems?

Thank you in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

Talk to Dave Stanfield, he's had a vortech sq on his 99 for about 90,000 miles running 10lbs of boost with no problems. He is running an aftercooler and his car is a daily driver, track car and he's even drag raced the car. SO, if it's tuned properly you shouldn't have any issues running the Vortech kit. :thumbsup:

ausie
02-09-2005, 07:53 AM
It is all a factor of the tune, and if you have a coolant by-pass kit for the drivers head if you get pinging with the 99. Detonation is the worst thing that could happen which will turn a piston into splinters unless you get forged internals. There is a head design flaw with 01 and early 03's not sure if that includes the 99 since they use the same casting. I was considering adding a supercharger to the 01 but could not cure the ping so I abandoned that idea. From what I recall, the pinging issue was related to coolant flow in the driver side head which was caused by valve overheat from lack of coolant flow. Not all heads had this issue, only some of them. Ford rejected my claim for the pinging issue since it was mild and not as moderate as others they have seen. I believe Apten has a by-pass kit that reflows coolant to the back side of the head from the front to improve the cooling issues. If you have a ping'er get that fixed before attempting to apply boost! In most cases it the motor is sound you should not have any problems with supercharging the Cobra as long as you keep the boost at a minimum and have the A/F curve tuned properly!

blk04cobra1
02-09-2005, 09:09 AM
it's all in the tune...you can do it conservatively and get a 50%increase or you can go all out...most of the time just doing a "stock" upgrade (basic supercharger application) with a good tune, you'll be fine...it's when you start messing with every other option on the car is when you run in to trouble...good luck and get blown, you wont regret it :D

Cobra4me
02-09-2005, 09:35 PM
It is all a factor of the tune, and if you have a coolant by-pass kit for the drivers head if you get pinging with the 99. Detonation is the worst thing that could happen which will turn a piston into splinters unless you get forged internals. There is a head design flaw with 01 and early 03's not sure if that includes the 99 since they use the same casting. I was considering adding a supercharger to the 01 but could not cure the ping so I abandoned that idea. From what I recall, the pinging issue was related to coolant flow in the driver side head which was caused by valve overheat from lack of coolant flow. Not all heads had this issue, only some of them. Ford rejected my claim for the pinging issue since it was mild and not as moderate as others they have seen. I believe Apten has a by-pass kit that reflows coolant to the back side of the head from the front to improve the cooling issues. If you have a ping'er get that fixed before attempting to apply boost! In most cases it the motor is sound you should not have any problems with supercharging the Cobra as long as you keep the boost at a minimum and have the A/F curve tuned properly!I'm also had thoughts of adding a supercharger to my 01. I haven't noticed a ping in my motor as you have commented on in your post. Your retired 01 is sold/gone or garaged. I know you love your newer car but where you unHappy with your 01??
Robk

ausie
02-10-2005, 08:15 AM
I was a happy camper with the 01. Believe it or not I actually miss it. I even reduced the ping to almost non-existant but I only associated the ping with carbon build up and or fuel grade. The true cause of the pinging was a cold air kit which caused leaning out and detonation (the on board knock sensor probably saved the motor as it cut timming and just about every motor function (felt like stalling the motor under full throttle-more like hitting a brick wall) Even after removing the CAI the problem of pinging persisted but not as severe as it was with the CAI. I probably could have fixed the leaning condition if I clocked the MAF by 90 degrees. It got to the point I could only use one brand of fuel (Hess) and all other brands seemed to cause problems. What I had found was that the spark plugs would begin to foul in a short time. Probably due to the use of synthetic oils which aresol easily from the overhead cams and entered the intake throught the PCV passege. That was remedied with a PCV catch can arrangement by using a air compressor separator. I sort of cured the plug fouling when I changed the cat-back as well as replaced the EGR valve and the car was back if not better than new. I had strong intentions of building it up to compete with the stock 03's and I really wanted to have a supercharger, along with 6 speed and more suitable shocks/struts etc.... I started costing parts and realized that it would be cheaper to trade in than to build up the 01. It was not until I read a few magazines that helped me change my mind on keeping the 01 (one article about all the heads SVT used which identified some weaknesses and strengths of each, the C casting of the 99,01 and some early 03's experienced valve overheat due to cooling issues). If I would have known about the cooling by-pass kit before trading it in I would have used it. Other than that, the 01 was a great car! I did not have any problems until I attempted to get more HP out of it. The CAI may have done the job to some extent but the side effects of the mod were not worth the money. However, the cat-back was worth every penny!
It is hard to say if my 01 had the head issue or not. It was more of a random event associated shortly after fueling the car. More than likely it was a relation to the fuel used since the high octane fuels are basically the 87 octane fuel with additives in it. In most cases I was probably paying the 93 octane price for low octane fuel. From what I recall, the Mach 1's also experience ping too. More than likely due to the compression ratio mixed with poor fuels. As to how many vehichles are affected with the head design issue is unknown or if pinging is associated with that. I only mentioned it as a probable casue for concern.