PDA

View Full Version : Heat exchanger upgrade - upgrade

FlowtronexPSI
02-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I have an 03 that has the following upgrades , Borla stinger , CAI , 2.75 Kenne Bell pulley , custom tune done by Jerry w/ Superchips , shifter , AFCO HE. After I installed the AFCO unit I looked over at the factory heat exchanger and thought why put it to waste? I incorporated it above the AFCO in the upper grille opening. It fits perfect, you just have to buy two heater hoses and some other misc. hardware. You just have to remove the hood latch assembly slide it in vertical and turn it width ways just in front of the A/C core. The coolant exits the intercooler into the factory HE then goes to the AFCO then back to the intercooler and best of all the factory cooling fan for the radiator cools the factory HE before it goes to the AFCO. The warmest I have seen the coolant in the resevoir after running it hard is 115 degrees and then the fan kicks in and it goes to near 100.

InfamousSVT
02-10-2005, 12:25 AM
That's pretty interesting! How lond did this take you to do, also with the hoodlatch modification I'd be worried about the hood coming up when driving under hard driving conditions (drag strip, track, street racing, ME:D )How long have you had this done for and have you had ANY issues with it at all?

FlowtronexPSI
02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
There is no modification to the hood latch , you just pull it out until you get the HE installed because thats the only way to get it in there. Once it is installed the hood latch goes back to it's factory location. It has been in there now for about 6 months with 0 problems. Oh yeah it took about 2 hrs to get it right once I found the hoses that would work to tie it in. There is a heater hose that is long and straight with a 90 degree bend on the end and you need two of them. I just asked the parts manager to go in the back and look for myself until I found the right one. I could probably get a part # off the hoses I have in there. By the way you do not have to modify any of the factory aluminum pipe that runs from the motor.

Davesnake
02-15-2005, 07:20 AM
Pics?