PDA

View Full Version : CAI Question

AH1W
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm looking for a CAI for my '01 convertible, what do you guys/gals think would be the best option for me? It seems like there are a thousand makers out there. What are you running on your Cobra?

cobrabitn
02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Go here:

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/Products.htm

:thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
02-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Go here:

Ditto!:D

AH1W
02-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

My Cobra
02-16-2005, 09:45 AM
gotta say that ya need to go with JLT. I got the one with the flip paint to match my car. It looks great and it works very well.

Why Try?
02-22-2005, 01:49 PM
gotta say that ya need to go with JLT. I got the one with the flip paint to match my car. It looks great and it works very well.
what is the MAF adapter for when it says in stock mode, i have a K&N drop in so do i still need this part

nckissfan
03-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Has anyone heard of Dynamic Racing Products cold air intakes? I saw one on Ebay for $66.50, fits 96-00 Cobra. Is this a good product, or not really worth the time? I like the JLT, just don't want to remove my strut tower brace.

Stavesacre21
03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Go here:

The true CAI setup on that page looks impressive, but is 16whp sounding real? just from a CAI?! Just a lil suspicious, considering that stock, the air filter is stickin in the left fender anyway....what really makes this CAI setup that much better?! :eek:

Sounds like this company is tried and true, im just a little curious as to how running a PVC pipe make that huge of a difference :doubt:

Abneriel
03-09-2005, 11:28 AM
The true CAI setup on that page looks impressive, but is 16whp sounding real? just from a CAI?! Just a lil suspicious, considering that stock, the air filter is stickin in the left fender anyway....what really makes this CAI setup that much better?! :eek:

Sounds like this company is tried and true, im just a little curious as to how running a PVC pipe make that huge of a difference :doubt:
your 4V engine is sucking air through a straw...seriously, the filter position and type is the same used in the 96-98 GTs...any improvements in induction are going to yield gains

Abneriel
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Has anyone heard of Dynamic Racing Products cold air intakes? I saw one on Ebay for $66.50, fits 96-00 Cobra. Is this a good product, or not really worth the time? I like the JLT, just don't want to remove my strut tower brace.
unless you're equipped as a full out track car, the strut tower brace isn't doing much for you...they got rid of them during the next year's production I believe. On top of that, you have subframes...all that brace is really doing is adding weight.

flynfink
03-09-2005, 12:33 PM
unless you're equipped as a full out track car, the strut tower brace isn't doing much for you...they got rid of them during the next year's production I believe. On top of that, you have subframes...all that brace is really doing is adding weight.

Beg to differ. a front STB reduces flex, especially in a vert. a good one (KB for example) will triangulate to the firewall..

Ford stopped putting them on as a cost saving move.

Also, a good CAI is made by http://www.wmsracing.com/ and they sponser the club, several of us have them. But also be aware of the claims of 10-25 HP gains are absurd... (Except maybe on an 03-04, ask Tony about his JLT)

nckissfan
03-09-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks Jeff, that company looks pretty good. And, club discount, that's even better.

Stavesacre21
03-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Ditto!:D
So a few quick questions....i've already purchased the K&N air filter and replaced the stock one, so if I'd go with this JLT, am I going to have to replace the air filter AGAIN, or can I just use the K&N that replaced the original?

In other words, if replacing the WHOLE setup (MAF to Filter), what extra options am i going to HAVE to buy? This sounds like it could be VERY helpful!

Stavesacre21
03-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Actually i've just contradicted myself......it looks like my 97 won't work with the CAI setup, seeings how I have a strut tower brace.

I know this was just addressed, but wouldn't removing the strut brace interupt the structural integrity of a covertible? I know it has more to do with the engine bay flexing, but i know that as is, convertibles aren't near as stable as coupes

dewone
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
What you need is the KN FIPK. (Fuel Injection Preformance Kit) Don't think the drop in KN will get reused. The change on my cobra gives a larger diameter plunum to the Mass Air Sensor.
It also utilizes the orginal factory peice between the Mass Air and the throttle body. Keeping the brace intact.

Abneriel
03-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Beg to differ. a front STB reduces flex, especially in a vert. a good one (KB for example) will triangulate to the firewall..

Ford stopped putting them on as a cost saving move.

Also, a good CAI is made by http://www.wmsracing.com/ and they sponser the club, several of us have them. But also be aware of the claims of 10-25 HP gains are absurd... (Except maybe on an 03-04, ask Tony about his JLT)
I know exactly what it's there for, I'm saying unless he's out running it on an autocross track he'll never notice it's gone. That and with his subframes he should be fine.

Stavesacre21
03-10-2005, 09:31 AM
My suspicions of frame flex for a vert was my main concern, and it sounds like it's an issue that alot of people seem to riding the fence on...I think i might end up leaving the tower there for now...

Oh yea, i checked out that page on wmsracing, and didn't even see an intake for the 96-98 listed. Maybe i'm overlooking something, but I didn't see anything I'd be able to use? I miss anything?

Stavesacre21
03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Actually, nevermind......looks like the intakes are listed under velocity tubes (???), not intakes...which consisted mostly of intake ports :rolleyes: :doh2: