PDA

View Full Version : Horrible exhaust sound

csawyer
02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies?),

I put 40 series Flowmasters on my 96 Vert; sounds good, but not loud enough.

Next step was to put an BBK off-road X-pipe on today, with MILs; is now loud enough, but has a horrible clattery sound in certain rpm ranges, as in everything above 3,000, and whenever I let off on the gas.

Took it back to my exhaust guy; tried different mufflers, as we thought maybe too much flow overwhelming Flowmaster baffles, even tried glass packs. Some small improvement, but still unacceptable.

Am going back to the stock H-pipe, but the whole experience is quite the bummer.

Anyone have any recommendations? I still want the louder, throatier "Cobra" sound.

Thanks.

Curt

sssvtcobra
02-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Some of the noise or sound that your are experiencing could be the fact that you are using a o/r x-pipe with the flows. Baffled mufflers such as the flows should be used with an h-pipe. The x-pipe combined with baffled mufflers don't sound good at all! That is my honest opinion, but also the opinion of alot of other people that have heard that combo. I think that is why you don't like the sound as well. Put your h-pipe back on and see if you hear the noise or sound you were hearing. If not then I would put on an o/r h-pipe.

Maybe someone else will chime in with personal experience. I have only listened to flows and x-pipe combo's. Never had them on my car.

Hope this helps
Jeff

NewFoundPower
02-13-2005, 01:12 AM
I am personally not a fan of how X-pipes sound. For a more throaty sound go with an H-pipe, to me it gives you that mustang sound.

-D-

dewone
02-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Try the no restrictions Magna Flow with the X pipe. If sound is all your going for do what ever you think sounds good. Mine sounds like a NASCAR at high rpm. (if you have ever been to one there loud) But it is relatively quite at low rpm due to the X. The X gives you more HP than the H. The H is louder at lower rpm. Just what are you looking for.

smashedheadcat
02-14-2005, 09:55 AM
I just put a set of dumped flowmasters on my setup. I've got BBK long tubes, dr gas off road x and dumped flows. I had the Borla side exhaust, but it was too restrictive. My exhaust sounds surprisingly clean with the flows.

QuickSilver
03-11-2005, 09:27 AM
I know this thread is a little old but the sound you get is all about what type of pipes you get. Magna Flow, Bassani, Borla, and Steeda has some of the best sound and performance. I mixed the Steeda cat back with an Bassani O/R X-pipe and it has a mean throt at idle and when you get on it it is loud (with Bassani Headers-even meaner and louder sound) with no scratchy sounds even when you let off the gas. for some reason flowmaster has that sound, my friend put it on his and made the same scratchy sound. Now Steeda gets their pipes from Borla but a few hundred dolors less. :thumbsup:

MODS: :rotf: :rotf:
KUMHO ECSTA MX 265/35/ZR-18
18" CHROME STEEDA ULTRA LIGHT RIMS
STEEDA CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM
STEEDA BILLET BULLET DOOR LOCK BUTTONS
STEEDA RACING LUG NUTS
STEEDA BILLET SHIFTER BEZEL W/ NAME
MGW 3-D COBRA SHIFT KNOB
BAER ERADISPEED VENTED CROSSED-DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS
20% BLACK TINTED WINDOWS
BASSANI OFF ROAD X-PIPE W/ NO CAT`S
UPR REAR BUMPER INSERTS ( BLACK)