PDA

View Full Version : coolant spewing?

ausie
02-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Is it normal for coolant to be released from the resivior cap when doing a mild burnout? I only have 4000 miles on the 04. I hit the throttle a little harder than I intended and spun the rears a bit (snow tires do not grab well and break too soon). I noticed a familar smell which plagued the 01. Coolant overflow :mad:

I was not really pushing it very hard. The only change I did recently was the oil from stock to synthetic. I do not think this is the cause, but it is probable. The engine does not appear to be overheating. I also noticed small yellow/white soapy chunks on the underside of the cap. There are no floaters in the coolant resivior. Has anybody experienced this?

03 cobra toy
02-13-2005, 12:27 PM
No this is not normal....
To start I would replace the radiator cap and bleed air from the cooling system.....

Remove the radiator cap and fill to upper coolant line
Reinstall radiator cap
Remove air bleed screw from upper coolant pipe and fill with coolant
Reinstall air bleed screw
Run engine untill cooling fan comes on
Let engine cool and repeat procedure

There could be other problems with the cooling stystem so make sure the engine does not overheat when doing the above procedure

Coy
02-13-2005, 01:59 PM
I changed over to synthetic oil, but added purple ice to my intercooler and coolant sytem. I have to same amount of mileage. I definitely don't think that by adding synthetic oil would pose this problem. Although I had a slight problem with my powerstroke under tremendous towing pressure. On occasion I have seen very small pin holes in hoses which leak when heated.

cobra330
02-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Mine did it one time..I came home..cooled the engine and then took the cap off..put it back on..and it's never happened again..my car runs fine..never noticed any over heating...I assume the problem was it was over filled it and/or perhaps air in the system..it seems to be fine now.

ausie
02-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Thank you all for the reply.
I have a feeling it is the design of the resivior. I had this problem with a different year (01) and now the 04? If I had changed the coolant I would suspect that there was air in the system, or that Ford did not properly burp it at the factory. I could tell it was releasing prior to this by the smell of coolant at times, mostly when there is more use of boost as compared to non-boosted madness. At least I got 4000 miles without any drops from the cap. The very first thing I did to the vehicle once I got it home from its maiden voyage was to put Red Line water wetter in the coolant and inner cooler. I think my next mod will be a Fluidyne radiator and an aluminum resivior tank to go with it. I did re-bleed the cooling system just for safe measures. What bothers me is the soapy deposits on the cap which may be indictive of oil seepage either from the head gaskets or a defect in the heads. I have seen that before, but the residual evidence was oil droplets in the coolant (floaters) along with the milky chuncks.

ausie
02-16-2005, 06:45 AM
It looks like the plastic expansion tank will need replacement. I was doing some searching for a replacement. Also looked for a de-gas bottle. Interesting that the espansion tank is similar in function to a de-gas bottle. I will replace the plastic with a Canton Aluminum tank which also appears to have a pressure release tube for a coolant catch can. One reason why I did not drive the 01 down the quarter mile at a local track was due to coolant flowing past the resivior cap, now the 04 has the same issue. Hopefully not for long. :thumbsup:

I was talking to an old ford technician who now operates/owns or works at franchise shop of Advanced Auto. I just dropped in yesterday and wound up talking about mustangs. He mentioned that the design of the tank was the issue and that was changed with the 05 mustang. The factory tank is insufficient to withstand the pressures developed within the cooling system.

Sooner or later I will dump the stock radiator for a Fuidyne component.

coleman
02-16-2005, 08:08 AM
Engine coolant or Intercooler coolant?

davelegguy
02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I lost my coolant when a hose clamp fell apart at the top of my radiator . Luckily i was just half a mile from my dealer when my heater stopped working and I notice the temp gauge climbing up to pegged. I have heard of similar things happening on this board check your hose clamps.

ausie
02-17-2005, 07:07 AM
To answer the question, it is the engine coolant. The problem is the cap and the design of the plastic expansion tank. The expansion tank is designed to have a similar function of the de-gas bottle used in the 95 Cobra R. I asked a few questions when I placed my order for the Canton Aluminum expansioin tank. Apparently as I suspected, the factory cap is designed to breath, but if the fluid level changes due expansion due to heat, and if there is more coolant in the system it will release it when it de-gases the system. It was not an overheat situation, just a release of coolant and not much at that. What is nice about the aluminum expansion tank, it uses a standard radiator cap. The port on the neck can be left unconnected or it can be connected to a coolant recovery bottle to have compliance with NHRA rules. The clamps are another issue. I have seen a 99 cobra at the track dump the entire contents of the cooling system due to the primary hose slipping off. Not the best failure mode. That was either caused by a faulty clamp or a faulty pressure release mechanism in the so called radiator cap. Even a defective thermostat could create issues if the coolant overheats. If the engine overheated before the hose fell off then I would suspect a defective thermostat. Most temperature sending units do not function properly when there is no coolant in the system. A symtom of lost coolant can be seen on the temp guage if it suddenly drops in temperature (pegs low for a split second periodically), I have seen that happend with my exlpoder before it pegged in the other direction which was caused by a faulty thermostat and coolant excaping the overflow tank. I lost heat prior to that just before the engine siezed up. That was two days after ford replaced the water pump, because I complained about loosing heat.

Just my opinion, over pressure is the issue with the factory system. Probably the best thing would be to replace the factory radiator with an all aluminum one that has a higher pressure rating, expansion tank, better hoses, etc....

Canton also has a tank for the intercooler as well. I like the other one with the fuel cell appearence to it.

casey99COBRA
02-17-2005, 02:04 PM
you have had bad luck with these cars, i'm sorry man!

ausie
02-18-2005, 07:04 AM
So far I do not think it is bad luck. Bad luck would be loosing the rear end, blowing the motor, loosing ball joints every 15,000 miles, self destructing transmissions every 30,000 miles. Water pump failure at 40,000 miles, etc..... oh wait a second, that sounds like my 96 Ford Exploder. :rotf:

As far as the coolant leak, it is from the cap. It is possible that the coolant was overfilled which would explaine the loss of coolant was in the amount of water wetter that was added when I first got the car. In fact, the resivior or expansion tank is designed to breath through the cap. The tank is designed to have an air pocket which is used to trap air or to release any gasses formed from heating the coolant. That gass or air will be vented throught the plastic cap, but if coolant level is high enough, the venting will also spew coolant with it. I did not have to add any coolant to restore what was lost since the coolant level remained above the add mark. I do know where the weakness is which is easily ratified. Besides that, the new tank will look great under the hood. At least I have a better understanding on what is happening. I was in the SVTPerformance forum and it appears I am not the only one who has had issues with the factory expansion tank or the cap. The white residue I found under the cap was a result of coolant being released under pressure (I have seen that before). To determine there is a head gasket fault, I could have the oil analized for antifreeze or any other contaminants which is what I will do at the next following oil change. So far I do not think there is any major issue at hand.

ausie
02-24-2005, 06:34 AM
I put a few miles on it since it spit out the coolant. There was not much flow to begin with, but I still would like to prevent that from happening again. It is the cap that has a very slow leak.

The Canton expansion tank arrived yesterday. I spend a hour polishing it up. After my inspection of the tank, I noticed there were a few burs in the threaded port of the water neck. Overall not bad, although not quite a show piece due to some machine marks and mild scratch here or there. It is still a far cry nicer than the plastic stock tank. All the fittings are there and one extra as a vent or attachement for a recovery tank that can be mounted either up front next to the intercooler resivior ,or in the front fender on the drivers side.

casey99COBRA
02-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I put a few miles on it since it spit out the coolant. There was not much flow to begin with, but I still would like to prevent that from happening again. It is the cap that has a very slow leak.

The Canton expansion tank arrived yesterday. I spend a hour polishing it up. After my inspection of the tank, I noticed there were a few burs in the threaded port of the water neck. Overall not bad, although not quite a show piece due to some machine marks and mild scratch here or there. It is still a far cry nicer than the plastic stock tank. All the fittings are there and one extra as a vent or attachement for a recovery tank that can be mounted either up front next to the intercooler resivior ,or in the front fender on the drivers side.
:ttiwwop:

ausie
02-25-2005, 06:31 AM
I finished the install. As promised here are the pictures.

Fitment was not the greatest. I will have to tweek the mounting holes a bit with a round file to provide clearance for the factory intercooler circulator tank. The hose connector for the radiator pressure relief is a bit too long. A 90 degree burred fitting would be better which I plan to replace. Also, the overflow vent fitting is a bit too long and not enough clearance to mount a coolant recovery line to it. A 90 will also be needed there. It took a bit of work to get all of the air out since I broke a tool in the upper coolant line attempting to get the bung plug out. If there is trapped air in the engine block, the water pump will not circulate properly and you will wind up overheating the motor. One big mistake was starting the motor to circulate the coolant. When the fan went into high speed as well as only one side of the radiator was hot and the other ice cold indicated no coolant is circulating. When the fan kicked into high, the temps were at about 114C to 118C (244F) when I shut it down. I was using the diagnostic mode on the dash to read engine temps. The temp guage is unreliable and remained in the normal area. I sure hope I did not burn up any cylinders. I let the motor cool down a bit (overnight). having the upper coolant feed warm helped to release the bung plug. This morning I was able to remove it to add coolant and restart the bleeding process. It took almost an hour for the fan to kick in. Everything is operating properly. Temps did not exceed 94 degrees C and when the fan did kick in at 101 C, it only took a few seconds to drop back down. I could only find a Stant 18 psi cap for the time being. What is nice it has a pressure release valve for bleeding out the air. I will be replacing it with a 16 psi cap before I take it for a drive. I am still planning on connecting a coolant recovery tank but need to find the location for it as well as finding a suitable tank. A plastic tank should be suitable which should also aid in inspection for coolant. My guess would be to mount it in the driver side fender.

ausie
02-27-2005, 11:32 AM
First drive, everything is up to snuff. Average temperature while driving was 85-93 degrees C and no leaks. I decided to keep the Stant 18 PSI cap since the 2 PSI increase will not cause any harm. For the test drive, I only installed a short hose to pass below the battery. I am still planning on installing a coolant overflow tank which will keep the coolant in the radiator clean since the system will vacuum sump during low pressure conditions. As a daily driver it is probably not needed. The easiest place to mount a tank would be in front of the radiator next to the drivers headlight, but would be visible from the outside. I have seen tanks mounted there in racing magazines so perhaps that is where it will go. I am not fond of placing it in the fender as it may lead to too much moisture if it does overflow and lead to rusting the fender out.