PDA

View Full Version : What do Cobra guys think of WRXs?

Zedoc
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Just out of idle curiosity, and without any inferences to be drawn regarding my manhood, and hoping to avoid any excessive controversy, I just wonder what y'all think about Subaru's WRX? Not the full tilt Sti, just the regular AWD turbo WRX Impreza.

Like, how do you think it'd corner compared to solid axle Cobra, and all?

Can I ask that?

:baby:

Lumpydogs
02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't want one. However they are bad lil' machines. Supposedly handle
extremely well on tight courses. It would be fun to drive but I'll keep my
Cobra. :D

Rodo
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
From What I Have Heard, They Seem To Be Good Cars With Potential That Is Just Waiting To Be Exploited. Spend A Few Bucks On Them And They Can Be Fast. No Offense, But I Think Ill Just Stick With My Cobra

flynfink
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
awesome little rice rocket, STI much better. EVO is just as good if not better..

But they cannot be made to sound like a v8 cobra motor and they don't have the instant, kick ya back in the seat, torque..

And, no convertable...

different strokes......

guess you haven't found a Cobra yet.

And Rodo, You Don't Have To Capitalize Each First Letter.

Zedoc
02-25-2005, 02:25 PM
guess you haven't found a Cobra yet.

I'm pretty close. I got the check in my pocket for this one:

http://www.TheVMC.com/photos/JayMack_48185_'97 Cobra.jpg

Rodo
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
sorry dude, didnt meen to offend u w/ my capitalization of every first letter, lol

tazzracing1
02-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I can tell you for a fact that they will lose second gear. I know also that when it comes to being used for a rally car They have the trans cryogentically frozen to make it hard enough to last. I would buy the EVO 8 if any. I would buy the Cobra the power, sound ,and the looks give you the feeling you are looking for and want to have. I do have a O.Z. Lancer and I do enjoy it but it will never be a Cobra or give the same feeling as the V-8 muscle. I like the picture of the Cobra you are looking at.

InfamousSVT
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Nice car in the pic!

As far as the rice rockets, I'll never own one! Well I might go for a 350Z twin turbo?! But I'll never get rid of my Cobra.....

nckissfan
02-25-2005, 08:39 PM
my opinion, the WRX is a waste of money. It is a cheaply made Jap car. The only thing it has going for it, is its performance. But, why waste the money on a tin can like that? Eh, just me, though.

NewFoundPower
02-25-2005, 10:04 PM
You mean there are other cars in this world besides Cobras?!?!?!:rotf:

-D-

cowboyharry
02-25-2005, 10:14 PM
:barf: :flush:

RF Cobra
02-25-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty close. I got the check in my pocket for this one:

http://www.thevmc.com/photos/JayMack_48185_'97%20Cobra.jpg
Then go get it! :)

The STi is a great handling car. The computerized AWD enhances its ability and the WRX should be similiar. I thought it was interesting though that it was a lot more tempermental and prone to stalling. A problem not exhibted by the Cobra (drove both cars one right after the other).

ausie
02-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I have seen the WRX compete with the 03 SVT (perhaps it was on Autoweek) or some where. Even though they rated both cars as agile contenders on an open track, the Cobra was preferred over the WRX. One thing I do know about Subaru's is that they burn through clutches prematurely (not sure about the WRX). Sure the WRX is a little rocket, and so is the Dodge Neon RT turbo. Considering the price tag of the WRX flagship, the Cobra is about the same price. Would you pay $32,259 for a WRX STI or $36,065 MSRP (or lower) for a Cobra 04? I got my 04 for $32,400 new (not including trade in). If you are truely interested in the WRX try looking into the forums for the vehicle. Once in a while if find it entertaining to see that the competition has its downers too.

Both vehicles will have limitations on how far you can mod it. There is probably more that could bust on the WRX than the Cobra or Mustang. Sure there is alot available in the tuner market for the imports, but there is also a huge section just for mustangs too. One thing I fear the most are the tuner looking rice buckets since most of them were salvaged vehicles (at least in my area anyway). That leaves them unpredictable in how they will perform along with the young driver behind the wheel who probaly lacks the experience to push a car to its limits (in most cases that would includ just rolling down a hill). The next time you get a ricer to challenge you, let it win (the first time). That can be funny sometimes. :rotf: Then again, most of the parts that will fall off may hit you. Not worth the risk especially if they cannot control the vehicle they challenge you with.

Why don't you paint that thing, it looks like $&!# !. :D

The Gord
02-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Buy American!

spitfire
02-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I have always wanted to drive the WRX STI. I think it would be a fun car. I was thinking about buying one for a second car, (Of course second to my Cobra!). I think it would be fun to take one off road, and do a little rally racing. Of cource I would never take my cobra off road! :thumbsup: