PDA

View Full Version : It's mine now!

Zedoc
02-27-2005, 09:43 PM
He he he ...

http://www.thevmc.com/photos/JayMack_48185_'97%20Cobra.jpg

tazzracing1
02-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Congrats I'm glad to see you finally got what you wanted. I know you will enjoy it. Well all that is left is to become a member and start planning your mods if any.
I know I really enjoy my Cobra and have no regrets for buying it. I enjoy mine every chance I get. Well how many miles and any mods yet?:thumbsup: :fordflag:

cobracrazy
02-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Good choice, much better than a Subaru. :thumbsup:

Now Enjoy!!!

InfamousSVT
02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Congrats on the new car!:thumbsup:

nckissfan
02-28-2005, 12:07 AM
great! now all you need to do is join the club. The more the merrier!!:thumbsup:

RF Cobra
02-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Congratulations! Now you can start having fun! :)

beerkat
02-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Great that you found what you wanted. So now join the club and join in the fun at the events we do. :thumbsup:

Tell us about your new ride.:bounce:

Lumpydogs
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Great that you found what you wanted. So now join the club and join in the fun at the events we do. :thumbsup:

Tell us about your new ride.:bounce:

Beerkat,

How do you like your Autopower Rollbar??? Did you install it yourself.
Please give me the good, the bad and the ugly on it. Thanks.

flynfink
02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
awesome,

as others have said, now pony up the ridicuously high membership fee ($15 /year) and get the member discounts from our vendors for the mods you WILL do and enjoy the comradarie of a great club

Zedoc
02-28-2005, 05:10 PM
awesome,

... now pony up ...

You only love me for my money. So, where do I send my check?

flynfink
02-28-2005, 05:12 PM
You only love me for my money. So, where do I send my check?

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/membership.htm

No man, gotta love a red Cobra (OK any color, but red is the best :thumbsup: )

nckissfan
02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
pay online, instant membership:thumbsup:

RF Cobra
02-28-2005, 07:10 PM
:nope: No, no, no. send it to the RF Cobra retirement fund...;) Wait, I guess you better send it to the club if you want the vendor and event discounts etc. (stop looking at me that way Tony!:rotf: )

spitfire
02-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey! Great looking car! And welcome to the Cobra Fever!
I thought that you said someone had put a deposit on it, and you lost it! What happened to the other guy? did he back out? Well if he did, it was your gain!:thumbsup:

ausie
03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Nice car! :thumbsup: Welcome to the ownership club.

Zedoc
03-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I thought that you said someone had put a deposit on it, and you lost it! ...:thumbsup:
No, here's the thing. And I need some support here. Y'all know how I'm a little, er, p'cooler. Well, this is how its comin' down.

THe one I'd wanted, indecisively, someone else finally put a deposit on, and I lost it. It was a '99 w/16,ooo mi. It was cherry, and I didn't ever recover from losing it. I still haven't.

The one I got was definately a second (or third) choice, a rebound buy. But only because it has, shhhh, don't tell anyone, 49,000 mis. on it! Quiet If that gets out, it'll ruin my bad reputation. It's fine other than that. Stock, original, very clean, one owner proudly cared for, priced right. But 49,000 miles! Which isn't what I'd wanted, but it was on the rebound from the other one and I was getting some pressure, I won't say from where, to hurry up and buy. So, this car turned up within driving distance, is nice looking (red and tan) has everything else, really, it's the good year, the '97 with the Monte Carlo bar and dash clock, just too many miles for me. He swears it's all highway miles, but I can feel 'em. And it's caused me great remorse. I really don't sleep anymore.

I'm afraid as soon as I put 2000 miles on it it'l be a second-half-of-its-life car. No one will want it, it's value will plummet and I'll start needing clutch, brakes whatever work. I don't know. My wife and kids love it but I'm bummed. I'm thinking of just abandoning it by the side of the road.

flynfink
03-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Don't abandon, give it to me... :thumbsup:

There are lots of Cobra's running around with a bunch more miles than that. My 94 is over 100K. My 99 has over 50k. Both get flogged regulary, both have been open tracked and drag raced. just drive the thing and enjoy. At 49K, it's barely broken in. :) :)

nckissfan
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I am soon to roll 110,000 miles on mine. You can not say that you feel the amount of miles on the car. That is all in your head. The car is beautiful. Why not enjoy what you have? These cars can go for a long time. All you have to do is keep them maintenenced. You do know that cars last longer than 100,000 miles. Now, if you go and never change the oil, air filter, tune it up, yeah it's going to be a second rate car. Do yourself a favor, and go drive your car, and have fun. You only live once!

RF Cobra
03-01-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm afraid as soon as I put 2000 miles on it it'l be a second-half-of-its-life car. No one will want it,
:rolleyes: Remind us again why you are buying a car. Are you buying it for yourself or someone else? Sounds like you are doing this for all of the WRONG reasons (other than midlife crisis because you would have bought it buy now if that was the case). Why are you putting yourself (and us) through so much anguish over such trivial things?

You need help. Do us all a favor and go drive the Cobra. It is good therapy.

tazzracing1
03-01-2005, 09:12 PM
I have 84,000 and cannot feel the power loss I have no worries about driving it anywhere and I know it will make. I have done a clutch only because I thought it was time. I know if I was worried about it I would not be upgrading the suspension and already did the gears, I have future upgrades on hand and need to put Them on. I know for a fact that with proper care the modular motor is awsome we had a 97 f150 with the 5.4 and 187,000 and it was worked very hard with pulling a 3 horse slant trailer with dressing room all over Michigan and several other states, with quarter horses to 3000 lbs daraft horses. I also know that that truck still had more power than the new chevy(forgive us) that my girlfriend had just bought. I would not worry about 49,000 miles on that motor it will serve you well just keep up the service on it and everything will be great.
GO out and enjoy the car and what it has to offer. I think the car looks great.:thumbsup:

Zedoc
03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
:rolleyes: ... Why are you putting yourself (and us) through so much anguish over such trivial things?

You need help. Do us all a favor and go drive the Cobra. It is good therapy.

I don't get it. There are about two new posts a week on this forum. So what if I start talking about something. Would you rather watch paint dry? Skip the post if you're not interested. And what's this 'us' business?

I was actually feeling quite a lot better about the whole thing and enjoying the view of my Cobra sitting in the garage. The other responses really helped and the mileage isn't bothering me quite so much. It is quite handsome, you know, when you look at it. My wife loves the tan leather. So much more personality than, say, a Corvette.

cobrabitn
03-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Dude,

You have a 1997 Cobra that definitely has the coolest looking hood! It looks mean, it sounds mean, and it runs mean! You bought the car to enjoy it and to go out and about having fun with it otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum. Go take your wife and kids for a mountain drive and stop being such a worry wart. If the car doesn't suit then go put some 410 gears in it and it will feel completely like a new car.

I bought my 94 Cobra with 60K miles on it and it now has 101,000 miles on it. That was 40K very dependable miles for me. Now I'm going to the open track with it next weekend. Stop posting and start driving.... :rotf: Make it happen, make it fun!

Stavesacre21
03-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Alas.......our prodigal son has come home :rotf:

Seriously though, you've got yourself an awesome car!!! Being a 97 tan-on-red, that pretty much makes you my half-brother! :woot: Miliage really is just a number, i tell ya...don't let it get to you! Especially with it having been a single owner claiming highway miles! I bought mine at 36K last year and stored it this winter with almost 43K - yea, it's a bummer to have a few miles on her, but trust me, some quality time out alone scaling some mountains'll quickly turn that frown around!

If you're worried about turn-around at all, NO car will ever be your bit, unless it's parked in a glass case and never moved. As much as I love my Cobra, it'll always be just as my grandpa used to say...cars will almost always be the worst investment you will ever make - you pay a lot of money, it continually wears down, and in the end you'll always be left with nothing. Given that, If your worried about value of how "others" see your car going down, indeed...you didn't really buy it to enjoy too much!

However, just as we're all saying, savor the flavor...enjoy the moment...live it up! This club's built on each and every individual's pride of owning a (limited production) Cobra, and not on letting the car own you! Afterall, whose pushing WHO'S buttons?! (or pedals) ;)

I love the 97s, and even with as many miles as 49K, you've nothing to fret! For a 97, you're still much under the national average anyway.

Oh yea, and the hoods on the 96-98's are irreplaceable anyway :p

:thumbsup:

ausie
03-02-2005, 07:43 AM
You have a nice car there. The milage should not matter all that much. If you think there is a performance issue, there are a few remedies to cure a hesitating motor. #1 would be to replace the PCV valve which is an item usually ignored until there is rough idle, etc... #2 would be to change the spark plugs (usually at 40k miles or so). As for the clutch, that is just another wear item. They usually last 90k miles or more (depending on driving habits). Replacing the clutch should not break the bank either as it would with a front wheel drive car. Take some time to become familiar with it. That should turn you around and rest assured, the Cobras were built to last as long as a BMW. At least the maintance cost will not be as much. :thumbsup:

beerkat
03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
it'll always be just as my grandpa used to say...cars will almost always be the worst investment you will ever make - you pay a lot of money, it continually wears down, and in the end you'll always be left with nothing. :thumbsup:
The only thing worst than a car for investment is a boat. It is a hole in the water that you pour money in.:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
03-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Nice play on words :lol:

Rodo
03-03-2005, 12:53 PM
You have a nice ride man, enjoy it......screw the miles IMO COBRAs are made to be driven, now go burn the tires and put a smile on your face:thumbsup:

AirForce1
03-03-2005, 06:02 PM
You have a nice ride man, enjoy it......screw the miles IMO COBRAs are made to be driven, now go burn the tires and put a smile on your face:thumbsup:

like he said drive it as much as you want but keep in mind that the more miles taht go on the car the more you will have to get it servised. Like mine when i got my 03 i drove it every day. but then when the miles started racking up it had to go to the dealer for 5,000 10,000 and 20,000 miles servicees. Now I dont drive it every day just Friday,sat,and sun.:D but above all have fun its what you bought it for!:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
So whats the word now Zedoc? Things workin out lil more for you? Just wonderin how yur liking the Rio beauty :thumbsup: (as if i even need to ask!)

Zedoc
03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh, I'm lov'n it! THanks for asking. I got over the mileage thing after two days. It was the 'buyer's remorse' syndrome where you wonder if you've done the right thing.

Actually, I had to get the front end balanced and aligned and the clutch pedal tightened. Done. Easy, cheap. Now it's tight and hot. And everyone loves it. I have to say, '97 was the best year. Really, for $10,300, which is as close to $0 as possible, you couldn't get more Cobra than this.

My new liscence plate (tag for those of you East of here) is:

HOTPAPA

Now about those mods everyone was promising to help me with but I can't seem to scare up much response, the suggestion I've got pending is from Performance Unlimited in McHenry, IL. He says:

F.R. 3.73 $550
Flowmaster cat-back $369 installed
Super Chips Programmer
(no dyno) $399

I'm wondering if a Cat-back can ever really improve much without low restriction cats. But then the Super CHips becomes a different issue.

So, a ... wha'd'ya'think?

:bounce:

Stavesacre21
03-15-2005, 02:09 PM
I have to say, '97 was the best year. Really, for $10,300, which is as close to $0 as possible, you couldn't get more Cobra than this.
I couldn't agree more!!! that was actaully almost my train of thought! A decent deal for the year that i seemed to love the most!!

My new liscence plate (tag for those of you East of here) is:

HOTPAPA
Take a picture, stick it on the page of licence plates :thumbsup:

Im glad to hear that you came around to the car quickly! I know that that first tune-up does tend to make things better after you get all the little ends in order :D The buyers remorse is a horrendous syndrome....which is why it's nice to be locked into buying it...cause you have no choice :whipit: . Regaurdless....love that car :thumbsup:

So about the mods.....whatever you choose to do, don't bother with the superchips until you've got all your mods done that you plan on doing for awhile...otherwise it'll be reprogrammed, and the new mods won't be taken into account anyway. Then again, unless you're working on a lot of engine mods, I don't know as though a superchip would really improve things a ton. Just my $.02

As for the cat-back, im not really sure what to think...hopefully one of our other peeps'll be able to help ya out there!

casey99COBRA
03-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Welcome to the club, though i'm not a member yet. i just broke the bank buying a p1 procharger and roll cage :love: