PDA

View Full Version : Coolant....Circulating...Bypass

whitestang04GT
03-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Has anyone read or know where to find out about rewiring sensors to keep resovior fluid circulating???

cobrabitn
03-02-2005, 12:24 AM
No...but I saw your car at our drag day! :)

ausie
03-02-2005, 07:51 AM
are you referring to the coolant pump for the intercooler? I have seen some remove the relay and install a wire jumper to allow coolant in the intercooler tank to circulate while the motor is off. The same can be done for the fan, but the coolant will not circulate unless you either have the engine running or replace the water pump with an electric one. If you do use the jumper, make sure you jump the correct contacts or you will short something out.

whitestang04GT
03-02-2005, 01:52 PM
are you referring to the coolant pump for the intercooler? I have seen some remove the relay and install a wire jumper to allow coolant in the intercooler tank to circulate while the motor is off. The same can be done for the fan, but the coolant will not circulate unless you either have the engine running or replace the water pump with an electric one. If you do use the jumper, make sure you jump the correct contacts or you will short something out.
That was the impression I was under....The motor would have to be running....You think electric water pump is worth it???

whitestang04GT
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
No...but I saw your car at our drag day! :)Yeah....I got pics of your car...Awesome paint......How well did you run?...We stayed till almost 11:30 that night, running the Cobra......Finally got an 11.69 out of it....

ausie
03-04-2005, 07:21 AM
An electric water pump will free up some extra ponies, but will also require more juice from the alternator. Perhaps a high output alternator would also be needed. As for the battery, it will be drained quickly if left to operate fans and pump for a long duration. In my opinion, driving the water pump by the crank is probably the safe bet it will be working when you need it. If you blow a fuse on the electric water pump you would have to rely on the temp guage to warn you when the motor is about to overheat. I am not really sure if the electric water pump is the way to go for a daily driver. I am sure they are reliable, but to what end ? Another benefit of an electric water pump is that the flow rate will remain constant and not be dependent on RPM of the motor. I know they exist but do not have enought experience with them to support their use. As with any component, they all have strenghts and weaknesses and how they are used would determine both.

beerkat
03-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Lightning owners have been installing e-fan and e-waterpumps for a while now. The fans are great the water pumps seem to fail very quickly. If I remember right the drive pull shafts on the pump where/are the problem.

In the past after running a track session I would let my engine idle with the hood up and the e-fan on high speed for a while before shuting it off. Running e-fans with out the engine on will drain the battery in about 20min. So it was rare that I would run the e-fan with the engine off.

We upgraded are waterpumps to what is know as "The Cobra R". It has a higher flow of water and weighs less than the stock one on the L.