PDA

View Full Version : Need Mechanic Help

svt tam
03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
My car's still running like crap so I want to take it to a mechanic to see what the problem is. I'd like ot take it to Jeff but he's so damn busy I won't be able to get in until next month. My inspection is way past due so I need to get her fixed and inspected again ASAP. Y'all have any recommendations on where to take her. I don't want to take it to just any shop. Thanks.

spitfire
03-08-2005, 08:36 AM
If you want a small shop I know someone who used to work at the ford dealership. He specializes in ford transmissions, but he also does everything else. He is honest, and if he can't fix it, he will surely send you to the right person. He works out of his house. PM me if you want details.

If you want a bigger shop, I would recommend Slaterís Automotive; in old humble is what I think they call that area. On 1960 past 59. I get allot of my work done there too.
Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Blownsvtlightning
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
what is the matter with the car? what are the symptoms and is the check engine light on?

svt tam
03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Check Engine Light is on and I got the codes read at Autozone but I can't remember what they are right now. I remember it have something to do with a misfire and cats not up to specs. Well I don't have any kind of power in the mid to high RPM ranges and sometimes when I get past 3500 RPM's my car starts to buck like it's out of gas. Sometimes when this occurs, I'd floor it to see what happens and the car just sits still, the RPM's don't even move past that mark. This happens more when I'm at less than half a tank of gas.

spitfire
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
At first thought I would guess that your Cats are clogged, but after reading your description you may have problems with either your pump, tank or pressure regulator. I don't know, but once Butch reads the codes I am sure he can tell you right away. What year is your car by the way?

Blownsvtlightning
03-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Check Engine Light is on and I got the codes read at Autozone but I can't remember what they are right now. I remember it have something to do with a misfire and cats not up to specs. Well I don't have any kind of power in the mid to high RPM ranges and sometimes when I get past 3500 RPM's my car starts to buck like it's out of gas. Sometimes when this occurs, I'd floor it to see what happens and the car just sits still, the RPM's don't even move past that mark. This happens more when I'm at less than half a tank of gas.

I am a tech at a ford dealer, so let me take a gander at this.... the miss fire codes will be a p0300 or a p0301-0308. what year is the car? I am going to guess that the cat codes you were refering to were p0420 p0430? it sounds like your cats are plugged to me, are they factory? another thing to check is the fuel tank, I have seem them caved in on the bottom causing damage to the fuel pump, and giving this same description. I also had a cobra once that had a concern of not reving over 4500 rpm, the air boot in the fender was collapsing causing a lack of airflow. you have a cone filter on your car most likely. the little plastic bullet on the end of the filters sometimes come loose and plug the air tube on accell, this will give the lack of power and miss fire codes as well. check the air filter first....

msmap
03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
He has a 99 cobra vert

svt tam
03-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Yup I have a 99 cobra vert with pullies, K&N, and a bassani x-pipe with cats. Besides that, eveything else is stock.

svt tam
03-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Here are the codes that came up:

P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0300: Random Misfire Detected

Blownsvtlightning
03-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Here are the codes that came up:

P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0300: Random Misfire Detected

Damn, I'm good :D